[MOVED TO 2/18/23] Announcement: Quaker Spring Open [SHOW ME/SCOP]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
applesalter
Lulu

[MOVED TO 2/18/23] Announcement: Quaker Spring Open [SHOW ME/SCOP]

Post by applesalter »

The quizbowl team at the University of Pennsylvania is pleased to announce our Quaker Spring Open tournament, to be held on Penn's campus in Philadelphia, PA on Saturday, and has now been moved to February 18th.

Divisions and Questions:

This tournament will have two divisions: Open and Novice. The Open division will use Show Me, while the Novice division will use SCOP Novice.

Eligibility:

We are not requiring any specific novice eligibility requirements. However, some strong suggestions about eligibility for the novice division are below:
Players should not have over 60 PPG at any prior high school tournament.
Players should not have averaged over 2 powers per game over the course of any high school tournament.
Players should not have over 2 years of high school quizbowl experience.
The TD team reserves discretion to remove players whom they do not deem "novice-level". Please exercise your own discretion when choosing teams.

Let us know if you have any further questions about question sets and divisions; we are happy to address those on a case-by-case basis.

Fees:
$80 per team in the Open division
$70 per team in the Novice division
-$15 for a competent, experienced moderator who can stay all tournament
-$10 for teams traveling 200 or more miles
-$5 for each fully functional buzzer set
-$25 for the first team from a school that has not played at a pyramidal weekend quizbowl tournament (IU competitions do not count against this) since September 1st, 2020.

Payment:
Checks should be made out to our treasurer, "Alex Moon" (preferred), or "Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania." We can provide invoices in advance to teams that need them as well as a mailing address (available on request). Additionally, we are available for digital payment, such as PayPal or Venmo.

Field Size:
Each field will be capped at 16 teams; additional teams will be placed on a wait list.

To Register:
Please contact us at [email protected] for further information or to register. To register, please email us your school's name, the number of teams that you are bringing (including which divisions they will be playing in), the number of (working) buzzer systems that you can bring, and any moderators that you can bring. Before you register, be sure that you have talked to all team members who might be in attendance and confirmed that they are available to attend the tournament on that date.

Please let us know if you can help moderate! We will seek to have outside moderators reimbursed for the full cost of travel in addition to providing a light breakfast and lunch for all moderators (including school-provided ones).

Registration for QSO will close on Wednesday 2/15/23

Full logistical details will be sent to registered teams closer to the tournament date.

Thank you, and we hope to see you there!
Last edited by applesalter on Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Talia Coopersmith (they/them)
University of Pennsylvania '24
President 2022-2023
nicole.
Rikku

Re: Announcement: Quaker Spring Open [SHOW ME/SCOP]

Post by nicole. »

Is there a field update for this?
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
x'x(-1)x'y
Lulu

Re: Announcement: Quaker Spring Open [SHOW ME/SCOP]

Post by x'x(-1)x'y »

I received information late last night that this tournament is postponed (edit: from 1/21) due to "a scheduling conflict with the school and a small field."
Todd Gunther
Coach, Berwick Area (Pennsylvania)
applesalter
Lulu

Re: Announcement: Quaker Spring Open [SHOW ME/SCOP] [MOVED TO 2/18/23]

Post by applesalter »

Update: Quaker Spring Open has been designated a gold NSC qualifier! The top 20% of teams will qualify for PACE NSC.
President 2022-2023
applesalter
Lulu

Re: Announcement: Quaker Spring Open [SHOW ME/SCOP] [MOVED TO 2/18/23]

Post by applesalter »

FIELD (Teams/Buzzers/Staffers)
Open:
Wissahickon High School (1/0/0)
DCC (2/1/0)
Manheim Township (2/3/0)
Elizabethtown Area School (1/1/0)
Berwick (1/0/0)
"Quail Academy" (1/0/0)
Great Valley (3/5/1)
Downingtown STEM (1/0/0)
Novice:
Manheim Township (1/0/0)
Berwick (1/0/0)
"Falcons A" (1/0/0)
Great Valley (1/0/0)
Downingtown STEM (1/0/0)
Last edited by applesalter on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
President 2022-2023
applesalter
Lulu

Re: [MOVED TO 2/18/23] Announcement: Quaker Spring Open [SHOW ME/SCOP]

Post by applesalter »

Thank you to everyone who attended this year's Quaker Spring Open! Stats for the open division can be found here and stats for the novice division can be found here. As a reminder, this tournament was an NSC qualifier. The top 20% of teams will qualify for PACE NSC.
President 2022-2023