2023 Indiana Individual Championship + NASAT Qualifier [February 18, after State]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

2023 Indiana Individual Championship + NASAT Qualifier [February 18, after State]

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

In partnership with the Indiana Association of School Principals, I am happy to announce the Indiana Individual Championship, to be held at Purdue University on Saturday, February 18th, after the conclusion of State Finals. This event will determine the best individual players in the state, and the top players will be extended an offer to play on Indiana's All-Star team, which will compete against similar teams from other states at the National All-Stars Academic Tournament, or NASAT.

About the Indiana Individual Championship
The IIC will be a tossups-only tournament in which players will compete in pools sized from 4 to 8. (Pool size will depend on the total number of players competing.) No bonuses will be read. Rounds will consist of 60 tossups from the collegiate packet set C++. This set is a similar difficulty to NAQT's High School National Championship Tournament. You may read more about C++ here, and you can see how collegiate teams fared against the questions here. Due to the extreme difficulty of these questions, we will not be recording neg-five penalties, and powers will be worth 20 points instead of 15. I anticipate this event taking roughly two hours to complete; hopefully, you will still have plenty of time to return home after State.

Registering a player for this tournament will cost $25 for the first player, and $20 for each additional player from the same school. Signups will receive instructions on whom to pay before the event, but you do not need to pay before playing. All proceeds will go towards sending the All-Star team to NASAT.

To register a player for the Indiana Individual Championship, please fill out this Google form.

About NASAT
NASAT is an annual tournament held over the summer, in which several different states send teams composed of their absolute best players to compete on the hardest questions available to high schoolers. This year's NASAT will be held across two days, the weekend of June 17th and 18th. NASAT is an online tournament, so players will not be expected to congregate at one spot for the tournament, but they will be expected to have a good enough internet connection to hold Zoom calls with no issue.

To read about last year's NASAT, click here.
To view the results from last year's NASAT, click here.
To view last year's NASAT questions, click here. Please note that there are no powers at NASAT.

Team Indiana
Team Indiana will be a group of at least 4 of Indiana's best players, selected based on the results of the Individual Championship. I may select more than four depending on how scoring is distributed.

I will be coaching Team Indiana via Discord, an online app with both group-text and voice-calling capabilities. As the coach for Team Indiana, I will do my best to set up players with materials to help them improve at the national level, as well as host weekly online practices at agreed-upon times. Players on Team Indiana will ultimately be responsible for their own study.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions or concerns about the Indiana Individual Championship, NASAT, or Team Indiana.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.