2022 ARCADIA Nationwide Online Mirror (2/11/23)

Old college threads.

2022 ARCADIA Online Mirror Date

January 14
25%
January 15
6%
January 22
13%
February 11
38%
February 12
19%

Total votes: 16

Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

2022 ARCADIA Nationwide Online Mirror (2/11/23)

Post by Heiliger Dankgesang »

I am pleased to formally announce that the ARCADIA Team will run a nationwide online mirror of 2022 ARCADIA for teams whose regions did not host mirrors, as well as for teams who were unable to play their regional mirrors. Further details about the set can be found here. Please direct any questions about this tournament to me at jacob [DOT] egol [AT] duke [DOT] edu or post them in this thread.

Time and Place:

This tournament will be held on February 11, 2023 via a centralized Discord hub, with games being played in individual Zoom rooms with buzzin.live. The opening meeting will begin at 9:45 am Eastern Time and gameplay will begin at 10:00 am.

Rules and Eligibility:
This tournament will use ACF’s gameplay rules with their addendum for the inclusion of powermarks. High school teams are encouraged to play the nationwide high school mirror.

If an insufficient number of closed collegiate teams are registered for this tournament 2-2.5 weeks prior to it, then we may open the field to open teams as we did last year. We will revisit this possibility when the time comes.

UPDATE as of 1/30/23: This tournament is now an open tournament and is open to all players regardless of current affiliation with an academic institution.

Registration and Field Size:
To register, please fill out this Team Formation Spreadsheet, and then email me to confirm your registration. Registration will close on Wednesday, February 8 at 11:59 pm. If you are bringing any team-provided staff, please also let me know via email.
This tournament’s field is soft-capped at 8 teams, after which a waitlist will form, although we anticipate being able to expand.

Fees and Payment:
Base fee: $90 per team
Team-provided staff discount: –$20 per experienced staffer
"New to quizbowl" discount: –$20 for any school whose teams have never played a regular-difficulty (not exclusively novice) collegiate academic tournament before September 1, 2021 and whose players have not formerly played such tournaments for another school.
Minimum fee: $45 per team

We will accept payment via Venmo, PayPal, or check. Teams will be provided with an invoice and an account/address for payment once they register. Any questions or concerns regarding payment should be sent to me directly.

Code of Conduct:
The ARCADIA Team is committed to fostering a safe and welcoming environment for everyone. All of this tournament’s players and staff will be required to abide by the 2021 WORKSHOP Code of Conduct (with online-specific protocols adjusted for being in-person).
Last edited by Heiliger Dankgesang on Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:19 am, edited 10 times in total.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

Re: 2022 ARCADIA Nationwide Online Mirror (Jan/Feb TBD)

Just a reminder that teams have until Monday evening to preference a date for this mirror.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

Re: 2022 ARCADIA Nationwide Online Mirror (2/11/23)

Per the results of the poll, this tournament will be held on February 11. The original post has been updated to include a Google Form for registration.

Field (as of 1/24):

UVA
North Florida
Florida
Columbia
Last edited by Heiliger Dankgesang on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

There are now 3 teams registered for this mirror, and just less than 3 weeks until it is supposed to happen. If we do not have at least six teams registered by next Sunday (January 29), then we will make this mirror an open mirror.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

As we are now two weeks from the tournament and there are only four teams signed up, we are making this mirror an open mirror and chimera teams are now permitted. High schoolers are still encouraged to play Ohio State's mirror the next day if they are able.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
savicevic
Lulu

Post by savicevic »

Is there a call for staff?
Victor Savage
VCU
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

As of now we currently have enough staff to host 8 teams (or 9, though a 9-team field is less optimal since it would guarantee fewer games per team). If one more team signs up, then the free agents can form a tenth team-- I will close the field once that happens or on Thursday morning, whichever comes first.

Registered teams can expect a logistics email by noon on Friday.

To be clear–- if no more teams sign up, I will run the tournament with nine teams (with the free agents comprising the ninth team), since I don't want to deny anyone the opportunity to play our set. But at the same time, I'd like to guarantee as many games as possible while still being reasonable.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

The field is now closed at 9 teams. Teams who are currently shorthanded have been encouraged to contact the free agents, who will be assigned hopefully by the end of the day today.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

Turns out I am more efficient than I thought I was going to be, and the logistics email has just been sent out.
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

Congratulations to 80 for Tracy, who went 9-1 to take first place after winning a 2-game advantaged final against among the rain...! Thank you to everyone who played yesterday, and thank you to Eric Gunter, Vincent Du, Jonathan Shauf, Devin Humphreys, Kevin Thomas, Kevin Jiang, Jim Fan, Ivvone Zhou, and Joy An for staffing and helping ensure that this tournament ran as smoothly as possible.

Full stats may be found here, and everyone who played or staffed is invited to join the set's private discussion forum. We hope to see you again soon!
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF