What to bring for an in-person tournament?

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
PadraigF
Lulu

What to bring for an in-person tournament?

Post by PadraigF »

Hello,
Being a Quizbowl player from Washington, where our circuit is unfortunately small, I have zero knowledge of how in-person tournaments are run and what peoples routines are.

Those of you who have attended numerous in person tournaments, what are some items that you normally bring to your events, and which of them do you have on your desk during events? Don't be shy, Ill have my ears (or eyes :) opening to anything, im super curious, and please be very specific if you can.

Also those of you who bring notebooks, what and how do you write during rounds?

I hope this will help me out because my first ever in-person Quizbowl tournament will actually be this years MSNCT.

Thanks,
Padraig
Last edited by PadraigF on Mon May 08, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padraig Finan, 9th Grader
Washington Connections Academy (WACA)
2023 MSNCT #1 Individual Scorer
Founder of Finsheets
Eagles22
Kimahri

Re: What to bring for an in-person tournament?

Post by Eagles22 »

Sometimes you will be provided your own source of paper and pencil. But it is always recommended to have your own source of paper and your own writing utensil to use if worst comes to worse. If you have a coach with you, sometimes they will bring scoresheets and track score on their own for record keeping and to make sure the scorekeeper does not make a mistake.

Usually during active play it is only expected to have your paper and pencil on your desk and to have your phone fully powered off.

You should probably have some source of snacks and water if any schedule conflicts impede your ability to have a proper lunch break.

Usually tournaments run on a tight schedule so make sure you are keeping an eye on the clock. Tournament directors are always happy to help and you are free to ask questions whenever.

And make sure you are leaving to not just get there on time, but to arrive at least 20-30 minutes early. You never know what type of things could impede your travel.

The good thing is that since your first tournament is MSNCT, you likely will not have to worry about a lot of these things. But it is always good to be prepared. (especially if attending a less organized tournament than MSNCT in the future)

Good Luck!
Ty Bishop | University of Arkansas Quiz Bowl
BHSC CO'23
UARK CO'26
matthewspatrick
Lulu

Post by matthewspatrick »

MSNCT will definitely start with pads and pens laid out, but they could get snatched up quickly. Always bring your own supply so that you won't get caught short.

Bring a water bottle, and other drinks if that's more your style. Bring some light snacks too.

Not that you should pack a ton of outfits or anything, but you never know how comfy you'll be in the game rooms. If you're a shorts person, make sure to pack a pair of long pants/jeans you can change into if the rooms are a bit chilly for your liking (and vice versa if you're more a "dress warmly" person). Maybe bring a light outer layer you can put on/take off as needed.

Definitely play in the scrimmages Friday night, especially if you've not played timed matches recently. But then after that, get a good night's sleep! If you're not used to it, Saturday will be a bit of a grind (but in a fun way!).

If you see teams you've played against online, make an effort to go say hi, and introduce yourself. You might be playing against those folks for years to come :grin:
Patrick Matthews
University of Pennsylvania 1989-94
NAQT Member Emeritus and co-founder
I do not speak for NAQT in any way, shape, or form.
quizbowlchamp1
Lulu

Post by quizbowlchamp1 »

Here's a list of what I have at every tournament.

1) Pencil. This is a must-have, especially for computational math. Usually, the tournament organizers will supply you with a pencil but always bring one just in case.

2) Paper. Another must-have. The organizers will also supply you with paper, but bring some anyway. I use the front side to do comp. math and the back side to keep score.

3) Food/Drink. I know technically you aren't allowed to have food during a match. However, if you have a long tournament, always have some. These tournaments are tiring. I always have a Mtn. Dew sitting next to me.

These 3 are almost essential. Here are some other things you might want to have.

4) Notebook. I bring one to every match. They're useful for improving players. If you are going to use one, jot down unfamiliar answerlines and research them later.

5) Hand Sanitizer. My coach always keeps some in her bag. You never know what those buzzers have touched.

6) Scoresheet. As I said earlier, I use the back side of my paper. If you prefer using scoresheets, use those instead. Make sure to print them at home and bring them to the tournament.

I hope this helps. Good luck at your tournaments.
Russ McGlaughn
7th Grade
Rainbow Middle School (2022-present)
Southside High School (2023-present)
2023 MSNCT Rising Star
Alabama State Champion 2024