Rhythm Heaven at ICT [4/1/23]

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Rhythm Heaven at ICT [4/1/23]

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Alright, perhaps you thought I forgot about running my own side events. You thought wrong! Exciting, I know. Anyway, the plan is to run Rhythm Heaven, an all-audio video game side event, during ICT weekend. This will take place on Saturday sometime after the main event. I'll post a meeting place as soon as those get locked down. 6 packets of video game audio tossups in 20/15/10 format. The audio files are still on my computer and still work, and flash drives are a thing that can transfer those to other computers, so let's run it. More information can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=25660 EDIT: I should also note that each audio packet has a .pdf that has questions only as well as a .pdf with answers/clues in addition to the questions.

Format: Let's say doubles for now.

Tournament fees: $3 per player.

Player/staff Sign-up sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

This event is not an official function of NAQT or any NAQT national championship. It is not sponsored, endorsed, or organized by NAQT.
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Re: Rhythm Heaven at ICT [3/31/23 weekend]

Perhaps I should allow you to edit the spreadsheet, O readers! (oops) Also, poll added.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
michellep1771
Kimahri

Post by michellep1771 »

Will this be posted online afterwards? I won't be at ICT but am really interested in this
Michelle P.
University of Toronto '22
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

michellep1771 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:43 pm Will this be posted online afterwards? I won't be at ICT but am really interested in this
Presumably. Note that it's a fairly large download. Also I may run it at a later date as well. Perhaps at MSNCT and/or online if there's demand. After that, sure.

While I'm at it, ICT-goers need to sign up and/or answer the poll question so I know what sort of field to expect. If demand isn't terribly high then we might do a shootout. Of course, it's hard to gauge what the demand is if people don't do the above. :)
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Re: Rhythm Heaven at ICT [4/1/23]

If anyone wants to play or staff and hasn't made their intentions known to this point, please do so. Also, we'll need some laptops for this. As this is an audio event, laptops with nice speakers are preferred, so if you're planning on participating and have one of those, pretty please bring it. Time and place are still being worked out. Obviously some time after finals.

NOTE: The field is currently capped at 6 teams. Looking at the field + FA pool, the currently limited staff numbers, and the fact that we have 6 packets, I'll say that P(roster size increases to accommodate players) >> P(number of teams increases). If staffing numbers dip below 3 permanent staffers, I reserve the right to ask teams that end up having 3 players on the roster to contribute a revolving third staffer.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

If this takes place tonight, it needs to take place in some selection of the following Int'l Level rooms:
Gatwick
Degaulle
Tegel
Capital
Mirabel
Barajas
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

So I just sent out an email suggesting otherwise. Alas. We can still meet near where team check-in was and then figure it out. Plans are for this to take place sometime shortly after finals. I'll post a time here when I have it. Also, I sent out an email with all of the info on it. We'll have to modify the rooms on the schedule, but that's easily doable.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Players and staff, please meet on the LL floor near the check-in desk.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

So, this happened. We ended up splitting into four teams of three and playing a double round robin. Special thanks to Jisoo Yoo for taking the time to staff, and thanks to everyone who ended up playing the set.

Congratulations to Mighty Mighty Bossthemes (Dylan Minarik, Billy Busse, and Chinmay Kansara) and Golbez, Clad in Dark (Jason Thompson, Morgan Venkus, and Jonah Schwartz) for both going 5-1 and splitting the title. As you can tell by the stats, the teams weren't really separated by much and agreed to split the win. Jason edged Dylan for the overall scoring title, but both were equally impressive.

Stats can be found here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/8 ... dividuals/
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

I had a fun time at this tournament, thanks to Jake and Stompy for writing and Jisoo for staffing.

PS: assuming "Get Over the Barrier, er...Potential Well!" is in fact a Kiseki reference, whoever came up with that name has good taste
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

touchpack wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:51 am PS: assuming "Get Over the Barrier, er...Potential Well!" is in fact a Kiseki reference, whoever came up with that name has good taste
I inevitably came up with that name, but it was a struggle to come up with team names. Glad you enjoyed the set!

*On another note: There was a lead-in somewhere in packet 4 that seemed to point to the answer being something else. For those in the know: the audio actually pointed to the correct answer. For some reason, I listed the audio as being from another game, which gave the illusion that the answer was something else. I just typed the wrong game title. That has been corrected.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

I'm happy to have a private discussion thread for this set, but I've honestly forgotten what to do to get said thing set up. Alas.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Any chance of an online mirror?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Mike Bentley wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:55 pm Any chance of an online mirror?
I've received some interest in one as of late, so it's definitely something I have in mind. I've floated the idea of a summer mirror around in recent days, as well.

EDIT: is my (2^10)^th post!
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

A private discussion thread is now available for those who played the ICT mirror.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired