2023 Lore Dump 2: More Lore - An Online Tourney [8/19/23]

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
captionquirk
Kimahri

2023 Lore Dump 2: More Lore - An Online Tourney [8/19/23]

Post by captionquirk »

Hello Everyone,

I am excited to announce the existence of the pop-culture tournament “2023 Lore Dump 2: More Lore.” I have been working on this set for the past few months and, given enough interest, it will be run as a small tournament Saturday morning, August 19th, 2023.

Lore Dump 2 will consist of 149 toss-ups on the cultures, religions, sciences, magicks, and histories within fictional franchises. This set is a sequel to my 2021 packet Lore Dump (See here: https://trash.quizbowlpackets.com/2662/). Lore Dump 2 is intended to be harder but will cover a lot of the same ground: a focus on “geekdom” (SF&F literature, anime, videogames, comics, etc.) with a few twists thrown in.

This set will be free to play and consist of 7 rounds. My good friend Sarah Benner will be TDing.

Teams can have up to 4 members. If you are interested please sign up on this Google Sheet -

TEAM SIGN UP: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... yBPPs/edit

The current field will be capped at 12 teams but may expand given enough interest.

I have written a total of 100 questions so far and plan on editing and completing the set with a few contributions from my friends and fellow members/alumni of Purdue University Quizbowl. These contributors will also help with staffing the tournament but if you are also interested in volunteering to read, please sign up here -

VOLUNTEER STAFFER SIGN UP: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... zh9PA/edit

Thank you,
Patrick Quion

User was reminded to enable a complete signature --Mgmt.
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Re: 2023 Lore Dump 2: More Lore - An Online Tourney [8/19/23]

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Hello! Patrick has designated me as interim head editor while he goes on vacation.

We are a month out from this tournament's planned running date, and we would love to get more staffers to ensure there are enough readers to support the field (currently there technically are, but it's always good to have excess). I will provide an update on the progress of the set later.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Hello again! Here's the update I promised.

This tournament set is roughly 75% complete, with virtually all tossups planned out, and I believe we are still on schedule to run on August 19th. We had been writing largely based on our interests and perceptions of what would play well, but the questions actually fit quite nicely into the following distribution:

6/0 TV (split roughly evenly between animation and live-action subdistributions)
4/0 video games
4/0 "trash lit"
1/0 comic books
1/0 movie series
4/0 "other" (including media that is difficult to place in a conventional category, franchises that span several forms of media, ideas that are sort of out of left field, or more of the above categories)

All subjects will be subdistributed to ensure that not too many of any one "type" of thing (such as sci-fi lit or anime) occurs in the same packet. Also, there will be some instances where certain franchises come up more than once, but never within the same packet.

As I mentioned before, we really need staff volunteers to make sure we can run this event! The set will be played online at 10:00am on August 19th, and, since it's all tossups and only 7 rounds, we'll probably get done in half the time of a regular tournament. Also, remember that this tournament is free to play!

Thank you to everyone interested in participating on either side of this event! We're drumming up some really fun stuff that I think you all will really enjoy.
Sarah Benner

L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

With less than a week before this is run, it currently looks as though we are going to have 11 teams playing. This number sucks! If you know anyone who may be interested in playing, having a twelfth team makes this tournament so much easier to set up. If push comes to shove, we may have to ask about balkanizing some teams.

As a sneak-peek at the schedule, we're planning to start the tournament at 10am eastern / 7am pacific. There will be a roughly 15-minute player meeting, then a certain number of prelim rounds, a very brief rebracketing break, and then a certain number of playoff rounds. The total number of rounds will be no greater than 7, and each round is 20 tossups with no bonuses, so I don't anticipate the tournament taking much longer than 4 hours total, meaning it'd be over by 2pm eastern / 11am pacific. If the tournament is taking longer than expected, I may extend the rebracketing break into an hour-long lunch break; I will try to get that info out to players a round or two beforehand.

I plan to host the tournament in a Zoom call with six breakout rooms that users can enter and leave at their leisure. This is a trash tournament that you're playing for free with no prize for first place, so if you plan or try to cheat, I think you should seek psychiatric help.

If you have any questions about Lore Dump 2: More Lore logistics, I encourage you to email me at sarah_benner AT outlook DOT com.
Sarah Benner

dni
Lulu

Post by dni »

This was a great tournament and an even better set. I will say that the warnings regarding difficulty felt unnecessary, as I personally didn't feel the difficulty was a significant jump from Lore Dump 1. I also think I and many others would've preferred not to wake up early for a relatively short pop culture tournament. Regardless, I hope to see another writing project by Patrick in the future--each thus far has consistently been some of the best content of all time.
Dan Ni
Langley '19
Cornell '23
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

This tournament was phenomenal. The questions were all really well done and felt more probing of iconic and important aspects of different series rather than minutia. That's seriously impressive considering the sheer amount of series and canons this set covered. The tournament also ran really smoothly with great moderators. I highly recommend this set to others!

I agree with Dan that the difficulty didn't feel abysmally tough. In every game we had, a few questions went dead, but for the most part, both teams were buzzing at all points in the questions. The set felt really great!

The one thing I'd recommend is perhaps expanding the what should be prompted in the answerlines. There was a looser approach to "if you give a description it will be prompted," but I got prompted a few times on things I looked up later to be completely different. Minor quibble though, I don't think it really affected the day.
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
I like cookies
Lulu

Post by I like cookies »

As a person who normally doesn't like playing Trash, I have to say that this tournament was extraordinary and easily the best Trash tournament I've ever played. The sheer amount of series and topics covered in this set astounded me and the fact that some of the questions clued relatively obscure content that I had imagined coming up, but never realistically thought would come up, was a joy to say the least. I wish I could get into specifics, but that'd be spoilers lol.

If this tournament has a second mirror, I highly suggest that anyone reading this comment should play it. You won't regret it. This tournament rewards deep fandom knowledge in a way that is hard to describe, and while I do wish that there had been a bit more children's TV show/animated superhero content, I can honestly say that the sheer vastness of fandoms clued warmed my heart in a way that can't be fully described.
Kevin O Thomas
Enloe '18
UNC '22
Woody
Lulu

Post by Woody »

With all the adulation that this set is getting, is there a chance that you'll host another online mirror? I was unable to attend but it sounds like it was a lot of fun!
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The set has already been posted, unfortunately.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger