Is science cardable?

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.
PadraigF
Lulu

Is science cardable?

Post by PadraigF »

As many of us may know, Science is one of the hardest subjects to study and card for.

What areas/specific common indicators are cardable in science?
Padraig Finan, 9th Grader
Washington Connections Academy (WACA)
2023 MSNCT #1 Individual Scorer
Founder of Finsheets
bdavery
Lulu

Re: Is science cardable?

Post by bdavery »

Science is cardable, but you break it into subjects and major sub-topics. A few examples here that do come up a lot:

biology: cell organelles, common human diseases/vaccines, organs of the human body
chemistry: the first 20 elements, columns/groups within the Periodic Table, ideal gas laws
physics: the 3 methods of heat transfer, basic circuits
astronomy: the 8 planets, major asteroids, the 88 constellations
earth sci: types of natural disasters, volcanoes
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/blog
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Literally all of them lol just can’t approach them purely as binaries. Cloze deletion is somewhat popular - the previous existing carding resources (old Max Schindler thread, whatever how to card article Kevin’s been writing). Important to remember that cards should not be one’s only resource but rather as a tool for retention of names, a focus on deeper better understood concepts is still quite valuable (read a book etc)
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Isomorphism
Kimahri

Post by Isomorphism »

As a somewhat decent science player, I do believe that science can be carded to some extent. As @bdavery says, it's possible to card some areas of science. However, this method has been very inefficient for me. After my limited Anki use, I feel like the cloze feature would be useful for science, as it allows you to card multiple terms in one card.
Last edited by Isomorphism on Tue May 30, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kaiden Lee

Science player on RTMS A (Hoping for a good MSNCT this year)
5 on 2024 AIME I
Discord: @pellucid1137

River Trail Middle School '24
Northview High School '28
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

Good Goblin Housekeeping wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:46 am whatever how to card article Kevin’s been writing
the aforementioned guide: how to flashcard

as andrew says, read a book etc
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
eygotem
Wakka

Post by eygotem »

bdavery wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:11 am Science is cardable, but you break it into subjects and major sub-topics. A few examples here that do come up a lot:

biology: cell organelles, common human diseases/vaccines, organs of the human body
chemistry: the first 20 elements, columns/groups within the Periodic Table, ideal gas laws
physics: the 3 methods of heat transfer, basic circuits
astronomy: the 8 planets, major asteroids, the 88 constellations
earth sci: types of natural disasters, volcanoes
Can't forget that Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system, a fact that even ACF national finalists are tested about
June Yin (they/them)
Ladue 2021
WUSTL 2026(?)
quizzical1
Lulu

Post by quizzical1 »

In my opinion, science is cardable but shouldn't. You should use the tree method. You study one part of science thoroughly and read articles and books, and watch videos on it. I'm working on quantum physics, and my coach told me to make a packet about quantum physics instead of just making cards. If you will make cards, you should use Anki.

-quizzical1
Elliot L.
7th Grade
The Meadows School, NV
NAQT, IAC player
"Preparation is key"
Stats for my league at: lvqba.org
:party: