Where are you going next year? (Collegiate 2023)

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
DavidB256
Lulu

Where are you going next year? (Collegiate 2023)

Post by DavidB256 »

To quote the quote in last year's thread:
It's that time of year again where people start to hear back from transfer applications, grad school apps, job offers, landlords, etc. and make plans to go places. Here is a thread in which current college players or members of the college quizbowl community can post where they'll be next. Please post only if you have something definite to share, though that includes things besides "I am going to x and such school for [degree]"; more general notes on moving to a new metropolitan area as a non-student/non-player/employee interested in continuing to staff or do outreach, etc.
In the fall, I'll be starting my PhD in the CMDB program at Johns Hopkins University. I plan to keep doing quizbowl.
David Bass (he)
Johns Hopkins University
University of Virginia '23
Jamestown High School '19
Member, PACE
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Where are you going next year? (Collegiate 2023)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Not exactly collegiate, but I'm ~99% sure that I'm moving back to New York this year, likely close to winter. Will happily staff a few local events (yay, not having to drive!) and look forward to playing opens here.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Tue May 09, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
A Lust-Fanned Dairy Tale
Lulu

Post by A Lust-Fanned Dairy Tale »

In June, I'm moving to Minneapolis for a job in student affairs at the University of Minnesota Law School. My playing days are still pretty much over aside from ACRONYM every year, but once I get settled in I am looking forward to joining the Minnesota quizbowl mafia.
Sadie Britton

Director of Communications, PACE
PACE Representative, Quizbowl Misconduct Form

William & Mary '20ish
University of Mississippi '23
Twin Cities-based staffer & logistician for hire.

Whatever and ever, amen.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

A Lust-Fanned Dairy Tale wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:00 pmI am looking forward to joining the Minnesota quizbowl mafia.
You simply love to see it.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Bhagwan Shammbhagwan
Wakka

Post by Bhagwan Shammbhagwan »

I will be in the Bay Area for the foreseeable future. Hope to play / staff tournaments close by!
Hari Parameswaran
Beavercreek High School '19
Georgia Tech '23
ACF, PACE
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

I am committing to Ohio University in Athens, Ohio for a PhD in English with a concentration in Creative Writing, specifically poetry. I will be an hour drive away from Columbus and intend on playing tournaments in the Midwest, even if that entails soloing.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
excessive dismemberment
Wakka

Post by excessive dismemberment »

I will be starting a math phd at the University of Delaware, and I intend to play as much as my schedule allows.
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Delaware
Brandeis University '23
University of Michigan '20
machgielis
Lulu

Post by machgielis »

I’ll be starting a PhD in computer science at Stanford, and I’m interested in continuing to play.
Michał Gerasimiuk, Yale '23, Stanford '(this decade, I hope)

"But people today instead separate knowing and [buzzing] into two distinct tasks to perform and think that one must first know and only then can one [buzz]. They say, 'Now I will perform the task of knowing, by studying and learning. Once I have attained real knowledge, I then will pursue the task of [buzzing].' And so, till the end of their days, they never [buzz], and till the end of their days, they never know." - Wang Yangming
SpaghettiVibes
Kimahri

Post by SpaghettiVibes »

I've committed to Oregon State's Toxicology PhD program. Unfortunately, OSU doesn't have a team and the PNW as a whole seems to really be a quizbowl desert. I'm hoping to stay active in the community by contributing towards writing questions, but I'm afraid I'll be hanging up my playing hat.
-------------------------------------------------------
Elizabeth Cowan
MSstate Alum - Former Club President (2022/23)
NEMCC Alum - Former Club President (2018-2020)
sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige »

As I noted to some of the GT players at this most recent ICT, I'll be starting an MS in Comp Sci at Tech this fall (probably graduating in 2026?).

I'm still in Charlotte --- so I wouldn't expect to be too involved with the team in ATL unless y'all swing through Virginia or the Carolinas and could use a super-rusty player to fill out a roster (if so, let me know!).

Also: after this, I'm done with school. Probably.
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Georgia Tech '26 (anticipated)
ex-Writer, NAQT
ecaplan2
Kimahri

Post by ecaplan2 »

Happy to say that I'll be starting my PhD in CS at Purdue this fall! (I'm coming from the University of Nebraska). I'm super excited and hope to play as much as I can. The Purdue grinders have already welcomed me and I'm stoked to meet everyone in person.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

I've just graduated from Notre Dame Law School, but I'll be staying in South Bend another year as I begin working. Looking forward to coaching Notre Dame this year (the team has given me the title of "Coaches Don't Play, Esq.") and staffing tournaments in South Bend and greater Chicagoland!
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

As of a couple minutes ago, and barring any unforeseen complications, it appears I am going to be moving in with some friends who live a couple blocks away from Ohio State's campus. I definitely plan to volunteer at tournaments they host or attend.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.