SCOP Novice 13 (2023-24)

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
TheDoctor
Rikku

SCOP Novice 13 (2023-24)

Post by TheDoctor »

The SCOP Novice 13 set will be available for mirroring from 1 November 2023 through April 2024.

The set includes ten rounds of 20/20 (tossups/bonuses) and a half-packet of 10/10 replacement questions. Tossups are powermarked. Bonuses have three parts, which are designed to be read one part at a time. If you are planning to use this set in a non-standard format (e.g. if you're planning to run your tournament in timed format or with more than two teams per room, or if you want to use a local match format that only uses bonuses in the second half, etc.), you must confirm this with me prior to receiving the set or incur financial penalties.

Eagle-eyed readers will have noticed that the number of rounds has decreased for this year. My graduate program finishes in August, meaning that my final semester will coincide with the bulk of the writing process for this set. I also doubled up question writing and full time enrollment last summer, and I deeply regretted it, so I'm cutting a corner this time around. The corner is Round 11. It has historically gone almost entirely unused (usually, it gets two or three plays per year), but if your tournament will need 11 rounds in 2023-24, I'm confident there will be other options out there for you. Round 11 will return for SCOP14 in 2024-25.

Distribution
SCOP Novice's distribution per round is:

5/5 Science (including 1/1 non-computational math)
4/4 Literature
4/4 History
2/2 Religion and Mythology
2/2 Fine Arts
1/1 Geography
1/1 Current Events, Philosophy, and Social Science
1/1 Pop Culture

Fees
The fee to use SCOP Novice is $12/team (including house teams). There is a $1/team discount for complete statistics. Complete statistics include full stats for each individual player on each team for every round, and are recorded either in YellowFruit or in SQBS with round report enabled. Because Neg5 does not validate game data effectively, Neg5 statistics will not be accepted for the stat discount beginning this year. There is an additional $1/team discount if you choose to email or snail mail your raw scoresheets to me for the calculation of conversion statistics by topic. If your tournament is in need of further discounts, especially if you're in a developing circuit, feel free to inquire about lowering your mirror fee.

Illinois
SCOP Novice is not available to be mirrored in Illinois, where the set is used exclusively for the IHSSBCA Novice tournament series. I'm also the Novice manager for the IHSSBCA, so if you are interested in hosting an IHSSBCA Novice site, please let me know.

Middle School
While I cannot fully commit to it until fall, there is a possibility that this year's set will have a middle school version available from February through April if there is enough interest. Please let me know by email if your tournament would like to use an adapted SCOP set at the middle school level.

Prospective mirror hosts, or anyone with questions, may contact me at [email protected].
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
TheDoctor
Rikku

Re: SCOP Novice 13 (2023-24)

Post by TheDoctor »

Confirmed Mirrors
10/28: Secret City Classic, TN (partial set)
10/28: Titan Takedown, GA (partial set)
11/04: IHSSBCA Novice at Belvidere High School, IL
11/04: IHSSBCA Novice at Fremd High School, IL
11/04: IHSSBCA Novice at Granite City High School, IL
11/04: IHSSBCA Novice at Limestone High School, IL
11/04: IHSSBCA Novice at Lincoln-Way East High School, IL
11/04: IHSSBCA Novice at Mattoon High School, IL
11/11: Thomas Jefferson HSST, VA
11/18: Dorman High School, SC
12/09: Beaver County Gifted Consortium, PA
12/16: OASIS (JV division), CA
02/10: Missouri Academic Coaches Association JV State Tournament, MO
03/02: California Cup #3 at Oakland High School, CA
03/22: Northern Buckeye League Tournament, OH
Nov-Mar: Southwest Missouri Challenge Games, MO
Apr: JCMS online mirror (final date)

Tentative Mirrors
TBA: Lisgar, ON, CA
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder