ANNOUNCEMENT: Dede Allen 2 (and releasing questions for Dede Allen 1)

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.
magin
Auron

ANNOUNCEMENT: Dede Allen 2 (and releasing questions for Dede Allen 1)

Post by magin »

Dede Allen 2, the sequel to our all-movie audio tournament, is currently over halfway complete. We do not currently have a tournament date, but we are planning to run it in the fall of 2023.

If you're interested, you can access the questions and answer lines for Dede Allen 1 at this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NzVsvb ... sp=sharing

If you're interested in joining our team of writers (currently consisting of me, Jules Bosse, Young Fenimore Lee, and Alex Schmidt), please email me at [email protected].

Dede Allen 2 will be an online, asynchronous audio film tournament using the same format as MARCATO and PAVEMENT (players listen to audio clips of about 65 to 75 seconds arranged in pyramidal order). All the clues will be audio snippets taken from or related to movies.

Like last time, the distribution will be close to:

15% Directors
10% Places (questions where the answer is a location)
20% Movies
20% Actors
35% Common Links

We'll provide more information about the tournament (and put together a signup spreadsheet) when we make more progress. Expect an update later this summer.

We're very excited at putting on a sequel to Dede Allen. If you have questions, please reach out or post in this thread.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Cheynem
Sin

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Dede Allen 2 (and releasing questions for Dede Allen 1)

Post by Cheynem »

Do you expect to use a similar format as last tournament?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Cheynem wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:54 pm Do you expect to use a similar format as last tournament?
Correct. Like last time, it will be a doubles tournament where the first 8 rounds count towards a team’s final score, with the final 2 rounds being the final. The top 2 teams by aggregate score will play the final, the next 2 will play for third place, and so on.
Jonathan Magin

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Here's an update: we now have over 195 questions written, and we're looking for playtesters.

If you're interested in playtesting this exciting event (all audio questions whose clues are clips from movies), please email me at [email protected]. You can also message me here or in the quizbowl Discord (my username is magin86 there).

If you're interested in playing, please sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Jonathan Magin

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

We're still looking for playtesters for Dede Allen 2--if you're interested, please contact me.
Jonathan Magin

magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Sorry for the delay; here's an update on Dede Allen 2.

Jules and I were planning on running it this fall. However, we intended to run it on QBlitz, which is no longer available.

We've talked to Geoffrey Wu about potentially hosting it on QBReader. If that works out, we're tentatively hoping to run it as early as spring 2024.

If you have a platform and are interested in potentially hosting Dede Allen 2, please reach out to me (either through a DM or by emailing [email protected]). We'd like to explore all possible options.

Currently, all the questions are written and playtested. We're spending the winter editing the questions to prepare for a potential spring 2024 tournament date.

If you have any questions about the tournament, feel free to shoot me a message.
Jonathan Magin