“Questions based on Wikipedia links Ophir sent me” Online (September 03, 2023)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Jem Casey
Wakka

“Questions based on Wikipedia links Ophir sent me” Online (September 03, 2023)

Post by Jem Casey »

This is an announcement for an online mirror of “Questions based on Wikipedia links Ophir sent me”, to be held on Saturday September 2nd (update: to be held on Sunday, September 3rd). I'm intending to start games at 12pm ET, though would be happy to move a little later or earlier if people feel strongly. The event should not take more than 5 hours total, since it'll feature at most ten rounds of 20/0 packets, and will be run on Discord + Zoom.

You can use this spreadsheet to add yourself as a free agent and/or form teams of up to four players: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0. To officially register your team, contact me at my gmail (jordanzbrownstein) or dm me on the forums or discord.

The tournament will cost $5 per person to play, and moderators will be paid $20 each.

Field
Eric Chen / Matthew Lehmann / Caroline Mao / Tim Morrison
Jacob Egol / Evan Knox / Ashish Subramanian / Annabelle Yang
Mike Bentley / Oliver Clarke / Taylor Harvey / Chris Ray
Thomas De Bock / Zachary Foster / Alexandra Hardwick / Chris Sims
Natan Holtzman / Tejas Raje / Ryan Rosenberg / Marianna Zhang
Jeremy Cummings / Sinecio Morales / James Orefice / Anuttam Ramji

Edit: date moved to Sunday, see comment below
Last edited by Jem Casey on Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: “Questions based on Wikipedia links Ophir sent me” Online (September 02, 2023)

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

I heartily endorse this event and or product
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: “Questions based on Wikipedia links Ophir sent me” Online (September 02, 2023)

Post by Mike Bentley »

Any chance this could be moved to Sunday, September 3rd?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Jem Casey
Wakka

Post by Jem Casey »

Ah sorry Mike, I was going with the winner of my date poll and didn't see your announcement. Because of the conflict with Seattle Open I'll be moving this to the following day, September 3rd (also at 12pm ET). My apologies to anyone who has put their name on the sheet so far and can't attend on Sunday--if this is you, feel free to send me an angry message and I'll be happy to buy you lunch sometime or something.
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: “Questions based on Wikipedia links Ophir sent me” Online (September 03, 2023)

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah sorry about that. If there are a bunch of people who suddenly can't make it, I'll understand. But hopefully now as many people as possible can play. I'm looking forward to it.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Jem Casey
Wakka

Re: “Questions based on Wikipedia links Ophir sent me” Online (September 03, 2023)

Post by Jem Casey »

With this tournament coming up a week from today, don't forget to assemble your team and register! I'll assign remaining free agents to teams on Thursday or so.
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17
Jem Casey
Wakka

Post by Jem Casey »

Since we have a good number of total players for a field of 12 teams, I'm going to close the field to free agents for now. If you're interested and aren't on the spreadsheet yet, put your name on the waitlist; if there's sufficient interest, I'll consider expanding. And don't forget to find teammates asap if you'd like to avoid my team assignment whims!
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17
Jem Casey
Wakka

Post by Jem Casey »

Free agents have been assembled into teams and a logistics email has been sent to team contact and free agent email addresses. Let me know if you're playing but didn't get it.
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17
Jem Casey
Wakka

Post by Jem Casey »

Description of the Medieval Warm Period and Little Ice Age in IPCC reports (Natan Holtzman, Tejas Raje, Ryan Rosenberg, and Marianna Zhang) and Obsolete Serbian units of measurement (Michael Coates, Michał Gerasimiuk, William Golden, and John Lawrence) both went 4-1 in playoffs. Since all packets were played, the tie was broken with playoff PPG and Obsolete Serbian units of measurement was declared the winner. Congratulations to them, and to Will Alston for leading the field with 76.00 PPG. Stats can be viewed here.

Thank you to everyone who played, to Young Fenimore Lee for deftly handling stats and letting us use their premium Zoom access, to Ophir for providing packets and scoresheets, and to Tomás Aguilar-Fraga, Sanjeev Ganesh, JinAh Kim, Ophir, Anderson Wang, and Andrew Wang for staffing.

The set is now clear! It will be uploaded and a discussion thread created soon.
Jordan Brownstein
UMD '17