IQBT UG Championship Online Open Mirror, Part 2 (09/02/2023)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

IQBT UG Championship Online Open Mirror, Part 2 (09/02/2023)

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Our online mirror of the second part of the IQBT Undergraduate Championship set will be on September 2nd. It will be held over Zoom. I’ll be serving as TD. This is an open mirror. Anyone who did not write for or playtest the set or who did not play or staff the championship is welcome to play.

The tournament will use the second 9 packets of the set. The first 9 packets were played at an earlier tournament, and may be found here. They will not be used again for this tournament; and so, anyone who played that mirror is welcome to play this one.

I’ll arrange the tournament schedule such that all teams get to play all 9 of these packets, so you’re not shortchanged, even if that requires an odd format (e.g. if we get 8 teams, we’d do a 7-game round robin, and then have 1 v 2, 3 v 4, etc. play the last two packets).

The entry fee is $26.50 per player ($1.50 of that is to cover taxes). After we reach four teams, I’ll cap the field until we get to six teams, and then again until we get to eight teams.

Here is a spreadsheet for team formation. However, you are not officially registered until you e-mail me, at john yi lawrence @ gmail.com (minus the spaces I just put in). Please put the phrase “UG Online Mirror Part 2” in the subject-line of your e-mail, so it’s easy for me to find it. I will treat the person who e-mails me as your team’s contact person/address, unless I am told otherwise.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Re: IQBT UG Championship Online Open Mirror, Part 2 (09/02/2023)

Right now, including the one fully registered team of four players, the two partly formed but not registered teams of three, and the five free agents, we have fifteen people signed up, which is enough to fill out four teams (plus one spare spot). This would be excellent, as we'd be able to run a triple round robin.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

There are three teams officially registered, and three teams that have expressed interest in playing. This adds up to six teams, which is an excellent amount for this mirror, so I'm going to close the field, until/unless we get to eight teams. On those six teams, there's a total of four free agent slots. I suggest that the five currently listed free agents nab those spots!
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

We're going to run an eight-team tournament. It appears that three teams still have rooms for free agents, so don't hesitate to reach out to players if you're considering playing.

The tournament will start at 10 AM ET. I'll send a logistics e-mail tonight.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

A logistics e-mail has been sent to the contact person for each team. Please let me know if you did not receive it.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Congratulations to Panic at the Discord (Eric Bobrow, Jason Golfinos, Nick Jensen, and Alex Li), who beat Champ (Chris Manners, Tim Morrison, Shahar Schwartz, and Tejas Raje) 395-335 in the final to win the tournament!

Stats are already up for the prelims. Stats from the playoffs will up ere long.

Thanks to all the players and staffers.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12