QBReader Generated Answerline Lists

Anything that's on topic but doesn't fit elsewhere, including related events that might be of interest to quizbowl players.
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

QBReader Generated Answerline Lists

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Hi all. In high school, when Quinterest and QuizDB were still around, I used their APIs (I think actually only QuizDB had an API for this?) to download all the question data and mined them for answerlines sorted by category, which I then put into alphabetized lists. I didn't account for repeats / didn't delete duplicate answerlines, which had the added effect of visually signaling to me, via scrolling quickly, if a particular answerline came up repeatedly.

Today, I did the same with the database from QBReader — I scrubbed through all answerlines via both tossups and bonuses. I have uploaded the resulting answerline documents here, and am disseminating them with permission from Geoffrey Wu, the creator of QBReader.

A couple of caveats. I did not implement any categorization algorithm past QBReader's own category tags, plus I did not add any additional formatting to any of the data; thus, the answerline text is literally ripped straight from whatever QBReader has on file, which may result in funny-looking answerlines + categorizations (my favorite World Literature answerline is, of course, "A&P," as it says at the top of the World Literature list). For the most part, everything looks about right, and this can be used in useful ways.

Another caveat, of course, is that this data is only so useful; study using these in whatever way is most effective for you, and keep in mind that answerline frequency is not the be-all-and-end-all of anything. I tend to use these lists as a jumping off point to study material that seems to come up often in a (hopefully) deeper way, and I would advise that others do, too, if they want to use them.

Regardless, hope this is useful to people. I uploaded docs for individual subcategories in FA, Lit, History, Science, and RMPSS, but let me know if there's demand for additional particular (sub)categories, I kind of just ignored the rest for now.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028