Announcing Finsheets' Personal Quizbowl Category Stats Generator!

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
PadraigF
Lulu

Announcing Finsheets' Personal Quizbowl Category Stats Generator!

Post by PadraigF »

Ever finished a tournament, and felt disappointed or frustrated that the host could not provide category stats (or catstats) for you or your team?

Well, you're in luck, cause I have got you covered!

After working for over one week, I'm happy to introduce the Finsheets Personal Quizbowl Category Stats Generator! (Click "Copy" to start) Category stats has never been this easy!

Yeah, you heard that right. Using this google sheets-based software, you will be able to input your teams scores and categories of tossups and bonuses played, and a full complete page of category stats will be generated for you, including team PPB, and Individual statlines for each player on the team! Basically a Do It Yourself Catstats maker. However, it's a bit more complicated then that...let me explain.

The spreadsheet, LINKED HERE, consists of two separate pages. The first one, is 'Score and Category Inputting', where, as the name suggests, you insert your teammates' names, and you will have the option to assign tossups values [15/10/-5] and bonus values [30/20/10/0]. Besides that, all you have to do is simply put the categories.

The second page, title simply 'Category Stats', is where it all happens. If you are even somewhat familiar with Quizbowl and its scoring, it should all click. I strongly advise you to not touch that for the sake of keeping the formulas intact.

You may ask, how the heck will I figure out what the tossup and bonus categories are?

Here are some ways you can figure out categories:
- Have a member of your team jot down the tossup & bonus categories on cycles that your team has answered.
- Wait until the packet you have played goes on the archives or on your NAQT library, then fill out manually.
- In rare cases, the tournament director might be given a list of tossup & bonus categories but does not have time to generate category stats for each team. You can ask the TD for that as a last resort.

Here are some ways you can figure out scoring:
- Have a member of your team keep score in order, with who answered each tossup for how much (remember negs!) and how many on the bonus.
- Look on the online hub that has scoresheets linked, if the tournament provides them (some fortunately do...not all).

Some other things to note:
  • The Inputting page was specifically created to suit large nationals tournaments such as NAQT and HSNCT because there is 20 rounds and 24 cycles for each round! They are great tournaments to use this generator on because live scores are provided and you/your team receive the packet afterwards.
  • Adding on to above, NOT ALL ROWS NEED TO BE USED ON THE GENERATOR. You really only need to insert points for the cycles that you/your team got points. You can skip, it allows that. It always makes sense to put the scores on the correct round & cycle (you can check the side).
  • Aditya Khambekar of Seven Lakes High School helped out with a formula. Thank you so much, very appreciated!
  • Every time you need to generate a new category stats, don't make a copy of your existing one. ALWAYS COME HERE. That way we can ensure that you are up to date with the newest version and everything is fixed.
  • For those of you interested, I will be working on two new forum posts in the near future, titled 'Reconsidering the Literature Canon' and '"Stock" Doesn't Exist'. Stay tuned!
This may seem like a lot of info, but trust me, it'll all make sense when you see the sheet. In case you missed it, it is linked above.

Yeah, and that's pretty much it! I hope you will enjoy this and are able to be rewarded with detailed statistics after a hard day's Quizbowl tournament! If you have a suggestion, problem, or anything else, don't hesitate to contact me!

Email: [email protected]
Discord: @Padraigf
hsquizbowl.org username: PadraigF
Last edited by PadraigF on Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:58 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Padraig Finan, 9th Grader
Washington Connections Academy (WACA)
2023 MSNCT #1 Individual Scorer
Founder of Finsheets
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: Announcing Finsheets' Personal Quizbowl Category Stats Generator!

Post by CPiGuy »

This looks pretty cool; I assume the way you use this is by making a copy of some template and filling in the information.

I'd caution anyone using this to make sure to keep the sheets private if you're using this to figure out category stats for a tournament that's not clear. (I think the final stats should probably be fine to share, because lots of tournaments already do this, but depending on how the actual spreadsheets are structured you should make sure you don't also release a list of what the categories are on every tossup and bonus from the set -- copy the final stats to a new sheet if necessary.)
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Metacarpal
Lulu

Post by Metacarpal »

Your* (I'm joking)

This is a really nice creation, gj Padraig! hope this will be used in the future more often
Vidyut Arvind
Student and quizbowler at the High School for Math, Science, and Engineering, New York
GAQBC server moderator
Joshua Li
Lulu

Post by Joshua Li »

As someone who plays qb online a lot, this was very helpful when keeping category stats. I tend to keep category stats by hand because I like to show the players I read for how they did on what categories, but this made my life so much easier. Thank you so much Padraig! If your hosting practices, 10/10 recommend using this. Also, your finsheets are amazing.
Joshua Li
GAQBC
Johns Creek High School