Commissioning a Set

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Cheynem
Sin

Commissioning a Set

Post by Cheynem »

You know how like back in the Renaissance or whatever, you had patrons commission wacky stuff from artists? Well, I'd like to do that.

A lot of the sets I'd really like to play I assume no one will ever write other than me. So I'm making this offer to anyone crazy enough to accept:

If someone writes the following side events, I will, to a certain extent, match the funds they obtain from the set.

Topics
1. Classic Hollywood film, 1930-1970 (Henry Atkins)
2. Marvel/DC Comic Books, 1950-2000
3. U.S. presidential elections
4. Professional wrestling [largely American] (Fred Morlan)
5. Classic television, 1950-1990
6. Video Games, but only NES and SNES

Constraints

1. You have to write at least 7 packets, tossup-only. They can't be one-liners or any such nonsense.
2. It actually has to be a playable set, by which I mean, you didn't just AI generate 100 questions or copy a bunch of stuff out of Wikipedia or plagiarize things. People playing the set don't necessarily have to give it a boffo review but they should at least acknowledge it was a playable quizbowl set.
3. The set has to be run either in person or online on a date or location that I can play. You can obviously run it elsewhere.
4. It has to be a good faith effort to match the topic. Like you can't write 20 tossups on never released NES games or on the "pro wrestler" Jacques Ranciere or on Estonian 1960s television. I'm okay with a few of these such questions, but don't go overboard.
5. I'll at least match up to $200 of any money you make from the set. This gives you the incentive to make the set good so that a lot of people would want to play. If I REALLY like the set, I might pay more as a gratuity.
6. You should contact me before you begin any production to make sure we don't have too many sets on the same topic. We can also negotiate terms more.
7. You have to acknowledge my commission in the packets.
Last edited by Cheynem on Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Commissioning a Set

Post by AKKOLADE »

Cheynem wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:41 pm 4. Professional wrestling
dibs
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I've kept track of the people who have volunteered to produce a set. Since this is quizbowl and people don't always finish sets, that doesn't mean any of this is locked in or whatever, so you can keep contacting me. Obviously, at a certain point, I'll cut off volunteers to avoid paying out like $1,000 in a few month's span or something.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

Post by Gene Harrogate »

I've broken ground on a classic Hollywood set to be ready in the first half of the next year. I'll make an official post when I have a respectable chunk of it done.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

someone should write a japanese graphic novels set but without a bunch of lolicon jokes
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016