MOQBA Novice II Available for Mirrors (2023-2024)

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

MOQBA Novice II Available for Mirrors (2023-2024)

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to announce that the second MOQBA Novice set will be available for mirrors nationwide (and internationally too, if there’s interest)!

As the name indicates, this is going to be a novice set. We plan on aiming for the difficulty of the past several SCOP Novice sets.

The set is being written by the editors, Hari Veginati, Kylan Powell, Ali Hamzeh, Brinda Ambal, Aiden Dombrosky, Steven Yian, Khugan Chan, Garrison Page, Bolun Thompson, Aditya Rajesh, Arjun Vivekraj, Andrew Gao, Gregory Zeldovich, Aidan Okyar, Kevin Peng, Eshan Pant, Emujin Tsogtjargal, Ipsita Bhattacharya and Andy Yu.

The set will be head-edited by myself (Jacob O’Rourke); the rest of the editing team is Jason Loy, the coach at Sullivan HS and MOQBA’s Director of Outreach (Literature, Math); Neal Joshi of WUSTL (Popular Culture); Vedul Palavajjhala of WUSTL (Social Science); June Yin of WUSTL (All Science, other than Computer Science and Math); Yaj Jhajhria of Canyon Crest (Geography, Current Events); Samir Sarma of Georgia Tech (Auditory Fine Arts); Aum Mundhe of Rutgers (Visual Fine Arts); Ganon Evans of MOQBA (Philosophy, Computer Science, Religion and Mythology); and Shohom Chakraborty of Mira Loma and Rohan Kher of Barrington are co-editing History.

We’ll be providing 12 packets for the cost of $15 per team that attends your tournament. There is a $3 per team discount if you provide us with conversion statistics or scan/forward your scoresheets from your mirror on to me.

Hosts within the state of Missouri will be able to use the set for no mirror fee. I will still need you to email me with your interest in using the set.

If you mirror our tournament, I expect you to have statistics posted within a week of your tournament happening (and the statistics should be posted in a post on the thread for your tournament-for an example of how I want this handled, look here).

The set will be available from September 2nd, 2023 until a few days before the 2024 HSNCT at the latest.

Set Details:

The tossups in the set will be powermarked and will run from 5 to 6 lines. The bonus parts will be no longer than two lines long. The questions will be measured in Times New Roman, 11 point font.

Packets will have paired tossups and bonuses, apart from the tiebreaker tossup in each packet.

Each packet will consist of 21 tossups and 20 three-part bonuses, distributed as follows:

4 Literature (1.5 American Lit [1 tossup and 1 bonus, plus an additional tossup or bonus in each packet], 1.5 British Lit, 1 European/World Literature)
4 History (1 U.S. History, 1 European History, 1 World History, 1 Miscellaneous History [This is ancient history and questions that don’t fit neatly into one of the other history categories, or just more of U.S., European or World History])
4 Science (1 Biology, 1 Chemistry, 1 Physics, 1 Other Science)
2.5 Fine Arts (1 Classical Music, 1 Visual Fine Arts, 0.5 Miscellaneous Arts-1 tossup or bonus per packet)
1 Geography
1 Popular Culture
2 RM (1 Religion, 1 Mythology)
0.5 Philosophy
0.5 Social Science
0.5 Current Events
1 Extra Question (This will come from any category other than Popular Culture)

Mirroring:

I’d love for as many circuits as possible to have a mirror of this set. If you’d like to mirror this set, please email me at [email protected] with the subject line “MOQBA Novice II Mirroring” to help me make sure I don’t lose it in my email.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: MOQBA Novice II Available for Mirrors (2023-2024)

Mirrors:

-Cullman County League Matches [Cullman, AL] - September 2023. Contact Christine O'Leary (christine.oleary at wallacestate.edu) for more information.
-Virginia Tech Novice Tournament [Blacksburg, VA] - September 16th, 2023. Contact McEwan Keyser (mcweannk at vt.edu) for more information.
-SCOTTIE - Standard Division at Glasgow HS [Glasgow, KY] - September 16th, 2023. Contact Todd Garrison (todd.garrison at glasgow.kyschools.us) for more information.
-MEQBA Season Starter Tournament II at Windham HS [Windham, ME] - September 23rd, 2023. Contact Nic Pruitt (nick at liqba.com) for more information.
-Bronco Bowl V at Rancho Bernardo HS [San Diego, CA] - September 23rd, 2023. Contact the Rancho Bernardo team (rbhsqb at gmail.com) for more information.
-GATA MS Tournament at River Trail MS [Johns Creek, GA] - September 30th, 2023. Contact the GATA Executives (gataquizbowl at gmail.com) for more information.
-Santa Fe Fall Invitational at Santa Fe College [Gainesville, FL] - October 14th, 2023. For Community College Teams Only.
-Bulldog Fall Fiesta-Novice Division at Mexico HS [Mexico, MO] - October 21st, 2023. Contact Dale Schenewerk (dschenewerk at mexico.k12.mo.us) or Kyle Hill (kyle at hillonline.net) for more information.
-Grayhound Invitational Novice Tournament at Clayton HS [Clayton, MO] - October 21st, 2023. Contact Adam Bergeron (adambergeron at claytonschools.net) or Sean Phillips (seanqb1982 at gmail.com) for more information.
-DCC Novice Tournament [Novi, MI] - October 28th, 2023. Contact Christopher Gismondi (cgismondi at catholiccentral.net) for more information.
-State Line Showdown at Virginia High School [Bristol, VA] - November 11th, 2023. Contact Chuck Pearson (cpearson at tusculum.edu) for more information.
-California Cup #1-Novice Division [Online] - November 18th, 2023. Contact Nick Karas (californiacupquizbowl at gmail.com) for more information.
-Richard Montgomery Winter Novice Tournament [Rockville, MD] - December 2nd, 2023. Contact the RM team (rmquizbowl at gmail.com) for more information.
-Maroon Bowl Mini at Ridgewood HS [Ridgewood, NJ] - December 9th, 2023. Contact the Ridgewood team for more information.
-Southside Holiday Tournament VI-JV Division [Greenville, SC] - December 9th, 2023. Contact Brian Corbett (bcorbett at greenville.k12.sc.us) for more information.
-Northern Buckeye Academic League - January 9th, 2023 to March 22nd, 2023.
-Henry Schools County Quizbowl Championship - February 3rd, 2024. Contact Scott Wade (Scott.Wade at henry.k12.ga.us) for more information.
-Clever JV/MS at Clever [Clever, MO] - February 17th, 2024. Contact Scott Walker (walkers at cleverbluejays.org) for more information.
-Las Vegas-area tournament - April 6th, 2024. Contact Matt Albert and the rest of the LVQBA (lvquizbowl at gmail.com) for more information.
-Brookfield HS [Brookfield Center, OH] - April 13th, 2024. Contact Greg Bossick (quizbossohio at gmail.com) for more information.
-Hanover's Introductory/Novice Tournament - April 20th, 2024. Contact Chris Chor (chrisjshor at gmail.com) for more information.
-University of Washington Spring Classic-Novice Division [Seattle, WA] - May 4th, 2024. Contact the U Washington team (quizbowl at uw.edu) for more information.
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

We're getting close to finishing up the set, so I'll go ahead and put out a call for playtesters of the set. If you are interested in playtesting, please fill out this form.

Only fill out the form if you're a high school senior or older. We'd like to keep as many players as possible eligible to play this set.
Jacob O'Rourke

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:13 pm Mirrors:

-Cullman County League Matches [Cullman, AL] - September 2023. Contact Christine O'Leary (christine.oleary at wallacestate.edu) for more information.
-Virginia Tech Novice Tournament [Blacksburg, VA] - September 16th, 2023. Contact McEwan Keyser (mcweannk at vt.edu) for more information.
-SCOTTIE - Standard Division at Glasgow HS [Glasgow, KY] - September 16th, 2023. Contact Todd Garrison (todd.garrison at glasgow.kyschools.us) for more information.
-MEQBA Season Starter Tournament II at Windham HS [Windham, ME] - September 23rd, 2023. Contact Nic Pruitt (nick at liqba.com) for more information.
-Bronco Bowl V at Rancho Bernardo HS [San Diego, CA] - September 23rd, 2023. Contact the Rancho Bernardo team (rbhsqb at gmail.com) for more information.
-GATA MS Tournament at River Trail MS [Johns Creek, GA] - September 30th, 2023. Contact the GATA Executives (gataquizbowl at gmail.com) for more information.
-Santa Fe Fall Invitational at Santa Fe College [Gainesville, FL] - October 14th, 2023. For Community College Teams Only.
-Bulldog Fall Fiesta-Novice Division at Mexico HS [Mexico, MO] - October 21st, 2023. Contact Dale Schenewerk (dschenewerk at mexico.k12.mo.us) or Kyle Hill (kyle at hillonline.net) for more information.
-Grayhound Invitational Novice Tournament at Clayton HS [Clayton, MO] - October 21st, 2023. Contact Adam Bergeron (adambergeron at claytonschools.net) or Sean Phillips (seanqb1982 at gmail.com) for more information.
-DCC Tournament [Novi, MI] - October 28th, 2023. Contact Christopher Gismondi (cgismondi at catholiccentral.net) for more information.
-Richard Montgomery Fall Tournament [Rockville, MD] - October 28th, 2023. Contact the RM team (rmquizbowl at gmail.com) for more information.
-Ridgewood Novice [Ridgewood, NJ] - November 11th, 2023.
-TQBA late December tournament TBA.
-Southside Tournament [Greenville, SC] - December 9th, 2023. Contact Brian Corbett (bcorbett at greenville.k12.sc.us) for more information.
-Centennial F/S Tournament [Champaign, IL] - January 27th, 2024. Contact Andrew Cheun (cheunan at u4sd.org) for more information.
-Clever JV/MS at Clever [Clever, MO] - February 17th, 2024. Contact Scott Walker (walkers at cleverbluejays.org) for more information.
-Brookfield HS [Brookfield Center, OH] - Contact Greg Bossick (quizbossohio at gmail.com) for more information.
Jacob O'Rourke

abarrington
Kimahri

Post by abarrington »

The Peoria Area League is interested in getting novice questions for our jv league. We have 20 teams and are all from the Peoria Illinois area. Contact me at [email protected]