KYOGRE: A Pokémon Side Event (Online Mirror: July 16)

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.

What dates would you be able to attend an online mirror for this set?

Poll ended at Tue May 16, 2023 12:02 am

Saturday, July 1
9%
Sunday, July 2
8%
Saturday, July 8
9%
Sunday, July 9
11%
Saturday, July 15
9%
Sunday, July 16
11%
Saturday, July 22
10%
Sunday, July 23
12%
Saturday, July 29
10%
Sunday, July 30
12%

Total votes: 101

Wynaut
Wakka

KYOGRE: A Pokémon Side Event (Online Mirror: July 16)

Post by Wynaut »

I am pleased to announce that KYOGRE: A Deep Dive into Pokémon Knowledge, a tossup-only side event about all things Pokémon, will be ready for mirrors by the end of June. The current plan is to have 8 packets, 24 power-marked tossups each, with a 7-line cap for tossup length, and a similar difficulty to the Ithaca HS/Cornell PACENSC side events.

The main focus of the questions as a whole will be about the main series of games, with care taken to balance content across generations up to and including Scarlet and Violet. In addition, there will be tossups dedicated solely or mostly to spin-off games, anime/manga, competitive battling/TCG, and other areas, as well as an ample supply of common links across these sources.

The first run of this tournament will take place on Sunday, July 16, with a possible second mirror in August pending interest. The tournament fee will be $10/player. The sign-up sheet for both players and staffers is located here. I will be paying staffers $10.

If you are interested in mirroring this event, feel free to PM me here or send an email to kenjishimizu97[at]gmail[dot]com.
Last edited by Wynaut on Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: KYOGRE: A Pokémon Side Event

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

I'm in
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Jewish Pugilist
Lulu

Post by Jewish Pugilist »

Interested in playing, looking for a teammate.
I am halfway to my worlds invite in the TCG and have played all the games so I am fairly plugged in and caught on the modern stuff along with early gens
Peter Torres
University of Central Florida 2014-2019
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Hello everyone,

Taking both the forum poll, my personal availability, and the dates of other tournaments into account, I am announcing that the online run of KYOGRE will take place on Sunday, July 16, 2023. In addition, I am expanding team size to four and capping the field size to 12 -- with full rosters, there are currently enough people to fill 7 teams, so there's some flexibility in case you'd prefer to stay as a duo for now. I will also be relaying this information via email to those who have signed up.

I am still seeking out staffers -- if you're available for roughly 3-4 hours in an afternoon, feel free to drop by!
Kenji Shimizu
Wynaut
Wakka

Re: KYOGRE: A Pokémon Side Event (Online Mirror: July 16)

Post by Wynaut »

Reminder that this is happening in 10 days, so if you're still interested, make sure to sign up if you haven't already!

For those who can't make this date but are willing to play a second mirror (likely in mid- to late August -- I'll be running a date poll with sufficient interest), I made a second tab on the existing spreadsheet as a gauge for potential attendance.
Kenji Shimizu
paris
Lulu

Post by paris »

What are the chances of a second mirror happening?
Crow He
UNC 2025
Turquoise
Lulu

Post by Turquoise »

Will this be re-mirrored or uploaded to the archive anytime soon?
Brynn Jones
Lake Zurich 2015-19
Alabama 2019-23
Oregon State 2024-28