qblint: Google Docs™ add-on for proofing and quality assurance of quizbowl packets

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

qblint: Google Docs™ add-on for proofing and quality assurance of quizbowl packets

Post by Cody »

I have published a Google Docs™ add-on that streamlines quality assurance for quizbowl packets by providing automated consistency checks and automating common tasks. It consists of several components: a style and grammar checker, pronunciation guide placement, character counter, and a function to keep questions together. These components are explained in detail at this link.

Installation and Use

The add-on is published on Google Workspace™ Marketplace at this link. The desktop application that processes packets for style and grammar is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.

Alternate links if the previous don’t work – Windows, macOS, Linux.

Here's a link to a demonstration video starting at 2:47. I’ve fixed a few things since this was made, so it might look a little different.

Desktop Application

The desktop application processes an entire folder of packets using LanguageTool rules and a custom set of rules for quizbowl located in the file “QuizbowlRules.xml”. The custom set of quizbowl rules is small at the moment; more rules will be added with time and you can also write your own. See this link for help writing rules.

To use the application, you have to fill out your Google Workspace email and the folder id for the packets you wish to check. The folder id is in the URL of the Google Drive folder your packets are stored in. The application authenticates via OAuth 2.0 and stores the authentication in the application folder (“credentials” folder – deleting this folder requires re-authentication).

If you find any nuisance rules that I did not exclude, or quizbowl rules you want to disable, you can list the id under “DisableRules” in the file “Config.yaml” – be sure to follow the formatting.

Nota bene: I will update to LanguageTool 6.3 sometime soon and post here when the new zip files are ready.

Feedback

Feedback, contributions, and testing are welcome. The project is hosted on Github, at this repository for the add-on and at this repository for the desktop application. I’m sure there will be some issues. Contact me for help at [email protected].

Nota bene: I have limited time to troubleshoot and help people with this add-on. ACF tournaments are my priority, followed by ACF members and their projects. This is not meant to discourage you from contacting me, but so you understand that I may not have time to help you.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Alejandro
Wakka

Re: qblint: Google Docs™ add-on for proofing and quality assurance of quizbowl packets

Post by Alejandro »

This is really cool. Thanks for making it!
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17