2024 This Set Is Garbo (a classic Hollywood side event)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Gene Harrogate
Wakka

2024 This Set Is Garbo (a classic Hollywood side event)

Post by Gene Harrogate »

Answering a commission from Mike Cheyne, I'm excited to announce This Set Is Garbo, a set on Hollywood* film from about 1930-1970!

My goal is to produce a challenging tournament that is still as varied and accessible as possible within its narrow scope. In other words, a majority of these questions should be playable film tossups at something like ACF Nationals. Expect: a mix of highbrow and lowbrow in both content and clue styles; a lot of representation from all the major genres of the period; and many "extra-textual" questions about the film world, film history, and film-adjacent topics. I'm aiming for these questions to be a bit snappier than my last effort -- think On Cinema at the Buzzer or QBOWLISM rather than TELEOLOGY or Eminent Victorians -- and will be capping at 7 lines before powermarking. In a similar vein, this set will have standard 15/10/-5 scoring.

*I may push the boundaries of "Hollywood" here and there. Most anglophone film from the period will be fair game, whether or not it was produced by a major Los Angeles studio.

The set will consist of 8 packets of 20 powermarked tossups each. I aim to have this done in time for the summer side event season in June, lord willing and the creek don't rise. Until then, happy viewing!
Last edited by Gene Harrogate on Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Atkins
ex-McGill
Cheynem
Sin

Re: 2024 This Set is Garbo (a classic Hollywood side event)

Post by Cheynem »

Oh good, I didn't realize until now this was 1930 and beyond, I was worried I forgot to clarify no silent movies.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger