Bentley's Bounties

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Bentley's Bounties

Post by Mike Bentley »

Inspired by Mike Cheyne's post, I'm posting a call for anyone interested in writing a side event on any of these topics. I'll pay $300 to incentivize you if you complete a set of at least 6 packets of 20 questions (feel free to write more). You're also free to charge separately for the set.

To avoid multiple people accidentally claiming the same topic, send me an email ([email protected]) before you embark on the project.

Here's the options, as well as who has already let me know they're working on something:

Photography (interest from Sinecio Morales and Bradley Kirksey)

Social History (interest from Jaimie Carlson)

Punk - Feel free to loosely define this (interest from Young Fenimore Lee)

Handheld Videogames (interest from Daniel Kim)

American History

Film and TV, but every tossup needs to primarily be focused on things that aren't plot clues - In other words, focused on the wider context of film history, behind the scenes stuff, the film business (Mike Cheyne's History of Film and Television, Part 0.5: viewtopic.php?t=27792)

Tech - I'm flexible here. Happy to play a set inspired by my own tech tournaments. Or one similar to Anderson's (i.e. more real computer science, a bit less history). Or your own spin on things.

Other Academic - Lots of cross-category and famous in other areas questions. Maybe something similar to Scattergories, but you choose.

Non-Fiction - Literary non-fiction, magazine articles, notable books/authors in fields like history or criticism (interest from Quynh Phung)

--

Also open to pitches for sets you'd think I'd particularly like. (Interest from Lalit Maharjan in a urban planning set)
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Bentley's Bounties

Post by Mike Bentley »

I've updated the first post to indicate which bounties have at least informal interest from someone. Since side events often end up not happening, I'm open to other people starting on their own set even if someone else has already claimed it.

By the way, I'm leaving it up to writers to define the parameters of these sets. I have my own preferences, but I know sets are more likely to get completed if you have more say over what goes into it. But happy to discuss what I was thinking in these topics to set some direction.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008