Duke Spring Tournament (Duke University, 02/24/2024)

Post high school tournament announcements and results here, along with logistical information. Interest checks, opinions, and other in-depth discussion of tournaments should go in the forum below.
DubiousHandles
Lulu

Duke Spring Tournament (Duke University, 02/24/2024)

Post by DubiousHandles »

I am pleased to announce Duke Spring Tournament, hosted Duke Quiz Bowl. This tournament will be a mirror of Planetfall, a high-school regular difficulty tournament, on February 24, 2024. Further information about the set can be found here.

Please note that this is the same question set that was used at the Cavalier Season Opener (Greenville, SC) and VCU Fall (Richmond, VA) in the fall term. Please do not register for this site if your school attended either of those tournaments.

Site Information:
This tournament will be held in Hudson Hall and the Teer Building, located in the Engineering Quad on West Campus, Duke University. The opening meeting will begin at 8:45 a.m. ET with gameplay expected to begin at 9:00 a.m. I, Kevin Jiang, will be the tournament director. Please direct any questions about this site to me at kevin [DOT] jiang [AT] duke [DOT] edu or post them in this thread.

Registration and Field Size:
To register for this tournament, please fill out this Google Form. Registration will close on February 13, 2024 at 11:59 pm. The tentative field cap for this tournament is 16 teams. The current field can be found here.

Fees and Payment:
Base fee: $90 for the first team sent by a school, $80 for subsequent teams from that school
Buzzer discount: –$10 per working buzzer system (must have power cord and 8 functional buzzers, maximum two buzzer systems per organization)
Team-provided staff discount: –$15 per experienced moderator with laptop (must be familiar with quizbowl rules/scoring, and have good pronunciation, speed, and reading skills)
Distance discount: –$10 for every 100 miles traveled one way, rounded down (using distance from your school to Duke University as determined by Google Maps)
Minimum fee: $65 per team

We will accept payment via check or cash, with check preferred. Please contact me directly if you are unable to arrange payment using either of these methods. Teams will be provided with an invoice and an account/address for payment once they register. Any questions or concerns regarding payment should be sent to me directly.

Parking/Lunch:
This tournament will take place on West Campus. The easiest place to park is the Bryan Center Garage (125 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708), which costs $2/hour with a $12 daily maximum. Duke Quiz Bowl will reimburse parking fees up to the $12 maximum (one reimbursement per team). There is also a surface lot at the Bryan Center, but we recommend parking in the covered garage instead because the surface lot does not have a daily maximum and may therefore be more expensive for the day.

For lunch, there is a restaurant-style dining hall on West Campus and a few fast food options. There are also a variety of eateries located on Erwin Road around a 15-minute walk from Hudson Hall, including Chipotle, Enzo’s Pizza, Firehouse Subs, Heavenly Buffaloes, Noodles & Co., and Smashburger.

Additional Information:
Teams must consist of players from the same school. Teams will consist of up to four active players and up to two substitutes for a total of six players per team. Players may not transfer between teams.

University policy requires each team to be accompanied by at least one coach or other designated adult (such as the parent of a team member) who is present for the duration of the tournament and is responsible for the conduct of the team's players.

Book prizes will be awarded for the top three teams and top individual scorers.

Code of Conduct:
Duke Quiz Bowl is committed to fostering a safe and welcoming environment for everyone. All of this tournament’s players and staff will be required to abide by the 2021 WORKSHOP Code of Conduct (with online-specific protocols adjusted for being in-person).

For questions, please reach out by email (kevin [DOT] jiang [AT] duke [DOT] edu) or reply below in the thread. We hope to see you in Durham soon!
Kevin Jiang
Duke '24
DubiousHandles
Lulu

Re: Duke Spring Tournament (Duke University, 02/24/2024)

Post by DubiousHandles »

With 2+ weeks until the tournament, a reminder to get registrations submitted!

Also, it has come to my attention that the field update link is not working as intended. The current field is below:

FIELD:
Raleigh Charter (2)
Green Hope
Innovation Early College
Saint Stephens (2)
Reidsville
Page
Last edited by DubiousHandles on Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Jiang
Duke '24
DubiousHandles
Lulu

Post by DubiousHandles »

The registration deadline for this tournament has been extended to Sunday, February 18.
Kevin Jiang
Duke '24
DubiousHandles
Lulu

Post by DubiousHandles »

Registration for this tournament is now closed, with the exception of teams who have already been in contact with me about their situation. Teams should have received a logistics email earlier this evening; please let me know if you did not receive this email or have any questions. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!
Kevin Jiang
Duke '24
DubiousHandles
Lulu

Post by DubiousHandles »

Congratulations to Page High School and Green Hope High School, who both went 9-2 to tie for first place after opting not to play a one-game final. Thank you to everyone who played, and a note of appreciation for Ashish Subramanian, Kevin Thomas, Ethan Rehder, Koji Bilbao, Rasheeq Azad, Jonathan Shauf, Andrea Owusu, Ivan Stanisavljevic, and Justin Zhang for staffing and helping ensure that this tournament ran as smoothly as possible.

Full stats may be found here, and we hope to see everyone again in the future!
Kevin Jiang
Duke '24