Introducing YellowFruit.

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Re: Introducing YellowFruit.

Post by Whiter Hydra »

a Joe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 pm Everything is proprietary. I have no interest in changing that, but I still have a very strong interest in continuing to use your excellent software.

So how can you design software that will be aware of tournament formats when such proprietary formats exist? I do not want this program to become useless to me or to anyone else who does not use what's on HDWhite. What provisions will be made for nonstandard or custom formats?
Why are there proprietary Quizbowl formats for tournaments outside of maybe NAQT nationals?
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Whiter Hydra wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:26 pm
a Joe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 pm Everything is proprietary. I have no interest in changing that, but I still have a very strong interest in continuing to use your excellent software.

So how can you design software that will be aware of tournament formats when such proprietary formats exist? I do not want this program to become useless to me or to anyone else who does not use what's on HDWhite. What provisions will be made for nonstandard or custom formats?
Why are there proprietary Quizbowl formats for tournaments outside of maybe NAQT nationals?
We designed ~30 formats that do very specific things that we want (guarantee precisely 10 rounds, since that seems to be the magic number for local teams, always have 5 morning rounds, reduce rebracketings, eliminate carryovers, always have a one game final), and that work very well, are very easy to follow, and guarantee high quality and standardization.

And that's not going to change.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

You could always design and implement your own proprietary statkeeping application that you also don't share with the community.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

There will be ways to do things without being locked to one of the standard formats. I'm not pretending to be able to anticipate every possible tournament that someone might run. (Though I'd like to get as close as possible! I'm planning to release a preview of the next version relatively soon and will be soliciting ideas.) The goal is just that for the 95% of people running bog-standard things like "4 groups of 6 into 3 groups of 8", it should be trivially easy and not require the user to do much to figure out what to do.

I don't know what a "proprietary" format is, but if it means it's your intellectual property that no one else can use, of course those won't be supported. (Sounds legally dubious but I assume it's at least theoretically possible to accrue sufficient reserves of money and vanity to find a lawyer to harass someone about it.)
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

As someone who regularly runs tournaments with carryover games (and got burned by them last weekend), this YellowFruit update sounds very promising.
a Joe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 pm proprietary formats
Sorry, I'm so distracted by this. Are you trying to claim you or the LIQBA have private ownership of certain tournament formats?
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Groan. No, I'm not claiming ownership over anything. People are free to copy me. As long as YFT will continue supporting formats that aren't the stuff on HDWhite, I'm satisfied, and this seems to be the case.

I would be extremely upset if a tool known for adaptability and universality suddenly became not so, and I was trying to get a clarification that this was not the case.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

a Joe wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 pm they are proprietary and very complex
a Joe wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:07 pm I'm not claiming ownership over anything.
I think you might misunderstand what the word "proprietary" means.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15