QUAOAR National Mirror (Online, 3/17)

This is the place for middle school quizbowl of all types.
komododragon655
Wakka

QUAOAR National Mirror (Online, 3/17)

Post by komododragon655 »

I am excited to announce the QUAOAR National Mirror, an online tournament on SUNDAY, March 17th, 2024. I anticipate a field with many strong, nationally competitive middle school teams, which will make for great prep for MSNCT prelims. For MSNCT playoffs prep, I encourage teams to check out KRAMIG II, a HS tournament that I am running on a HS Regs set, and SPRING III, an upcoming mirror of SWAMP for MS and HS teams (both tournaments are online as well). I, Andrew Gao, will be directing this event.

As the name suggests, this will be mirror of QUAOAR, the fourth edition of a fantastic middle school set head edited by Conor Thompson.

Registration
Register teams using this form. Outside staffers will be paid $25 for staffing the whole tournament and may sign up here. Team registration will close on March 14th at 3:00 PM ET.

Rules
Rosters are capped at 6 players, though only 4 players may play at once. Players must be in the 8th grade or below. Players are expected to follow NAQT gameplay rules (with timing + other small modifications) and PACE's Honor Code. Active players must show TWO HANDS on camera. Any suspicions of cheating will be investigated and may be reported to quizbowl organizations.

Format
The field is capped at 16 20 teams, but will increase with sufficient interest/staffers. All teams will be guaranteed 9 games. We will use 20 tossups and 20 three-part-bonuses per untimed round. 15-point powers and negative-5-point negs are in play. There will be no computational math.

Games will be played on Discord, with Buzzin.live for buzzing. Each individual player must have their own Discord account to join the tournament server. Making an account can be done so here.

Discounts & Fees
Base fee: $70 per team
Late fee (not fully paid within 2 weeks of the tournament): +$30 per team
Shorthanded (1-2 players) discount: -$20 per shorthanded team
Staff discount: -$25 per staffer
There will be a minimum fee of $0 per school. Teams who cancel after March 14th must pay the full fee, barring extenuating circumstances.

Teams will receive a confirmation email after registering. Payment info will be contained within, and teams are expected to pay via Venmo, PayPal, or check within 2 weeks of the tournament. Teams with unusual payment situations or in need of financial assistance should contact me before registering.

Stats & Prizes
Team and individual stats will be posted on hsquizbowl.org within 24 hours of the end of the tournament. There will be live stats up to the game on a Google Sheet, and category and subcategory stats.

Misconduct
Anyone involved with the tournament, including but not limited to: coaches, players, staff, tournament directors, and spectators will adhere to the PACE Code of Conduct. Misconduct can be reported to this form and/or sent to [email protected].

Contact Info
Please direct any questions to [email protected]. I hope to see your team here!
Last edited by komododragon655 on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
Chenery Middle School '23, Belmont High School '27
Pandruwu Sheetz, ex-MSQBRank
2022 MS IPNCT Finalist (3rd), 2022 MSNCT Finalist (2nd), 2023 MSNCT Champion
[email protected] | pandruwu on Discord
komododragon655
Wakka

Re: QUAOAR National Mirror (Online, 3/17)

Field (updated 3/15)

Oak Valley A (CA)
Oak Valley B (CA)
Oak Valley C (CA)
Cooper A (VA)
Cooper B (VA)
Longfellow A (VA)
Longfellow B (VA)
Smith (NC)
Springfield Franklin A (IL)
Springfield Franklin B (IL)
Springfield Franklin C (IL)
Classen SAS (OK)
T. H. Rogers (TX)
Riverwatch A (GA)
Riverwatch B (GA)
Churchill A (CA)
Churchill B (CA)
BASIS McLean (VA)
Design39 (CA)
Totals: 19 teams, 14 staffers; field cap: 20
Last edited by komododragon655 on Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:10 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

With just under two weeks to go, we are nearing our field cap of 16 teams! I expect the field to fill soon (teams should register here) and to expand, I am looking for some staffers to sign up here. Thanks!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

We have hit the field cap of 16 teams and will be increasing the cap to 18 teams! Registration closes this THURSDAY at 3 PM EASTERN, so make sure to get your registration in by then!

EDIT 3/12: We have hit 18 teams and are expanding to 20!
EDIT 3/14: We have hit the field cap of 20 teams and will now be starting a waitlist.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

A spot has opened up- email me at [email protected] if you/your team would be interested in picking up this spot.
EDIT: There are now 2 spots available! I am offering each for a discounted price of $40.
I am also looking for more staffers (especially those who can staff the afternoon). Please register to staff using the link above!

EDIT 3/15: One spot left!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

QUAOAR National Mirror wrap-up!

First, I want to thank Conor Thompson for letting me use QUAOAR (a great set), helping with seeding, and helping with protests. My staffers today deserve many thanks as well, especially those who stepped in last minute to help make the tournament smoother. They are: Aditi Bandaru, Aditya Khambekar, Anay Sabhnani, Annie Qi, Chris Stewart, Collin Leck, Dan Rajaratnam, Joshua Li, Julius Conner Ingente, Keefe Yang, Khugan Chan, Mike Laudermith, Pranavkrishna Bharanidharan, Ryan Smith, and Swarit Srivastava.

It was a long day of quizbowl today, and it wouldn't have happened without all 19 MS teams. I hope teams enjoyed the matches and meeting quizbowl friends from all over the country.

At the end of playoffs, there was a tie at 5-2 between Riverwatch A, Churchill A, and Smith. By virtue of having the best PPG in playoffs, Riverwatch A automatically advanced to the "Grand Final." Churchill A and Smith contested a half-packet play-in game to determine who would make it to finals and who would finish in 3rd. Smith A won 225-135, making Churchill A 3rd. In the Grand Final, Smith A defeated Riverwatch A 330-80 in a half-packet game of all powers.

Stats: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/8714/
Category stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1498132556
Andrew Gao (he/him)