New Team at Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
Rocklobster
Kimahri

New Team at Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin

Post by Rocklobster »

Hi all,

I'm writing this to get in the loop for novice events occurring in Wisconsin and surrounding areas. Our school is located south of Greenway, in somewhat central somewhat eastern Wisconsin, so we aren't in a position to travel very much further than Chicago or maybe Minneapolis. I understand that Chicago holds somewhat frequent events. I'd love to be notified about upcoming events this year and in the future. If need be, I'd be interested in hosting a novice tournament, but this would be hard since we've never participated in one in college yet. Looking forward to participating in the QB scene!

Please contact me at [email protected]

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Halinaxus
Wakka

Re: New Team at Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin

Post by Halinaxus »

You might be interested in joining the Midwest College Quiz Bowl Discord server.

I understand that Lawrence has a fairly long history of playing tournaments, though the previous iteration of the team appears to have gone inactive around 2021. Not sure if any of those players are still active on these boards?

Anyway, welcome back! It's always fun to see new teams pop up. Most college novice tournaments are in the fall (and you are correct that there is a ton of collegiate quiz bowl in the Chicago area), but one of the online mirrors of IQBT Novice might be a good first tournament for your team.
Reilly Melville
Chaska High School '22
Purdue University '26
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I've informed a member of that past Lawrence team who should be in touch with you shortly.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
mjoy
Lulu

Post by mjoy »

It'd be great to see Lawrence back on the circuit! We're NMU--3.5 hours north of you.

You're perfectly situated to join with our team and our friendly rivals at Michigan Tech to create an Up North Quiz Bowl Triumvirate. We host an intercollegiate tournament every year, and MTU does the same. We'll keep you in the loop as we make plans for next year!
Michael Joy
Faculty Advisor/"Coach"/Travel Agent
Northern Michigan University Quiz Bowl