2024 Virginia NASAT Team Applications

This forum is for discussion of high school quiz bowl in the Washington, D.C. metro area, including D.C., Delaware, Maryland and Virginia.
EricChang5
Lulu

2024 Virginia NASAT Team Applications

Post by EricChang5 »

Hello all! The 2024 National All-Star Academic Tournament (NASAT) will be hosted online on June 15-16. A group consisting of myself, Noah Chin, and Joseph Chambers will be helping organize the Virginia team(s). If you are interested in playing, please email me at [email protected] and/or fill out the following form: https://forms.gle/naEeY9ASAPRe8vbw9.

Eligibility
Any player who was enrolled in the 12th grade or below in a school physically located in Virginia during the 2023-2024 academic year is eligible to play on the team. Generally speaking, home school students are also eligible.

Team Selection Process
We do not plan on holding any tryouts as of now. Instead, we will be deciding the teams based on past tournament results and team balance. We would like to send as many teams as possible but also understand the financial constraint.

Tournament Difficulty
NASAT has traditionally be around a college 3-dot difficulty meaning it is harder than PACE NSC and NAQT HSNCT. The style and subject distribution of the questions will be quite similar to existing “modified ACF” sets.

Tournament Fees
The tournament registration fee is $695 per team (max of $173.75 per player for a team of 4 with the possibility of that price going doing even lower). We understand this is a significant price and are actively working on fundraising efforts and discounts. Our goal is to reduce this value closer to $100-$120 per player but this number is highly dependent on the amount of interest we get. If you are unable to meet the tournament costs, please let me know and we'll see what what we can organize. I don't want any player to miss out due to the registration fee!

"Ok so this is really hard and pretty expensive, why should I do this?"
NASAT gives you the opportunity to play with and against some of the top players across the U.S. and potentially other countries. Even if you don't think you are "good" enough to make the Virginia NASAT team, we would love to have you apply and get to practice and learn with the team. This serves as a great way to help prepare for HSNCT and/or PACE and also for future college tournaments. While we ultimately want to organize the strongest possible team from Virginia, we also want to provide an opportunity for other top teams and players to improve and compete in a fun environment.

If you have any questions, feel free to send them to me at [email protected]. For any other Virginia coaches or personnel that wish to assist with organizing the Virginia NASAT team, let me know. We look forward to seeing all applicants from around the state!
Eric Chang (he/him)
Christiansburg High School '15
Virginia Tech '19 (B.S.) '24 (M.S.)
EricChang5
Lulu

Re: 2024 Virginia NASAT Team Applications

Post by EricChang5 »

Updated with new information about the tournament moving online and the registration cost. We are aiming to start hosting practices by the week of May 13 so please either reach out to myself ([email protected]) or fill out the form above. Even though we are sad it is no longer hosted in VA, we still want to send as many teams as we can!
Eric Chang (he/him)
Christiansburg High School '15
Virginia Tech '19 (B.S.) '24 (M.S.)