Alabama 2006-2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain isn't going to either. My team pretty much hates the "fun" tournament, so I'm letting them out of it this year.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Scottsboro is not going due to coach's prior plans..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

So, does anyone have any word from either of the "Fun" Tournaments?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Hobodog
Lulu

Post by Hobodog »

I was told my by one of the Mountain Brook Juniors that Mountain Brook B went 4-3 and Mountain Brook A went 6-1 with its only loss coming by 170 to Mountain Brook B. I don't know if these were pool results and he left some stuff out but thats what has been relayed to me.
ASFA Tournament Champions 2003,2004,2006
---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Hobodog
Lulu

Post by Hobodog »

I was told Lamp A was competing in the tourney.
ASFA Tournament Champions 2003,2004,2006
---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

What all teams went to the Fun Tournament?
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

This sounds terrible, but I'll ask anyway. Are these actually real tournaments? Do they actually crown champions? By calling it a "Fun Tournament," I almost wonder if these are for little purpose other than starting off the year and trying to make everyone, at least in September, feel like a winner.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote:This sounds terrible, but I'll ask anyway. Are these actually real tournaments? Do they actually crown champions? By calling it a "Fun Tournament," I almost wonder if these are for little purpose other than starting off the year and trying to make everyone, at least in September, feel like a winner.
You nailed it on the head, Byko.

When I asked my team about going, our captain said "I really don't want to go to a competition where we don't really compete."

There are no play-offs. There are no awards. There ARE registration fees... At the end of each round, both teams get candy... But the team that "won" gets to choose the candy first. It's sorta silly. Some of the weaker teams in the state like the "no pressure" atmosphere, but - like I said - my team really didn't want to go, so we didn't go.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

How did LAMP do at Ezell-Harding?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

We did alright at Ezell Harding. Lost to Dorman in round of 16. It was a very well written and well run tournament, Brindlee Mountian should go next year if possible.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DZ_LAMP wrote:We did alright at Ezell Harding. Lost to Dorman in round of 16. It was a very well written and well run tournament, Brindlee Mountian should go next year if possible.
We wanted to go... But there were some conflicts.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

BTW, here is our schedule for the next few weeks. Is anyone else going to any of these:

Sept 23 - Scottsboro
Sept. 30 - UT-Chattanooga
Oct. 7 - Walton
Oct. 14 - MLK Magnet (Nashville)
Nov. 4 - Austin
Nov. 10-11 - Vandy
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Results and thoughts from Scottsboro:

Varsity:
1st - Brindlee Mountain A
2nd - MLK Magnet A
3rd - MLK Magnet B
4th - Brindlee Mountain B

Junior Varsity:
1st - Russellville A
2nd - Brindlee Mountain JV
3rd - Scottsboro A

The tournament was great. There were teams from three states attending. In the first round, Buckhorn took an immediate 150 point lead against Brindlee Mountain A, but BMHS rallied majorly and ended up winning by nearly 300 points. Other than that, BMHS A didn't have a close match until the championship match againt MLK A. BMHS led by 170 points after about 15 questions. MLK then answered 4 in a row - powering 3 of them - and was winning by 25 going into the last tossup. Mark from BMHS answered the final tossup, we got 20 in the bonus, and won by 5. That was easily one of the best matches I've ever seen.

As for Alabama teams overall, BMHS B did as I predicted and defeated every Alabama team they played. BMHS B won matches against Fort Payne, DAR, Cullman A, and Covenant Christian. Their only losses came to Pensacola High School and MLK A & B.

Anyway, we got a little more information about Alabama this year. Next week we'll travel to UTC, where Indian Springs will make their debut. I'll keep you posted on that.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Since I think the RHS JV team is also the RHS varsity team, I'm at least glad to see they're doing fairly well for where they're at.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

It actually turns out that there was an error in the stats... Brindlee Mountain JV should've been awarded 1st in the JV division. This error was realized only today. Both Russellville A and BMHS JV were 5-2, but BMHS beat Russellville A head-to-head (which was the first tie-breaker). However, Russellville C had defeated BMHS... But the stats got confused, and it was mistakenly announced that Russellville A had beaten BMHS... I was still watching my varsity teams in the play-offs when the JV awards were being presented. So, I took for granted that Russellville had a better record than us and never questioned it. Anyway, no one caught this until today when the stats were sent to me via e-mail. I noticed this and contacted Matt Dennis, who apologized profusely. I told him not to worry about it, as there are many, many people who should've caught the error earlier (including myself and the members of my team).

At any rate, the actual JV results are:

1st - Brindlee Mountain
2nd - Russellville A
3rd - Scottsboro

As I jokingly told Matt Dennis, this is the first time we've ever won a tournament retroactively.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

And I should have caught it also but accidents do happen and this will be fixed as best as possible. Also, it should not happen again
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Good God...Russellville comes in 2nd AGAIN! :D
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Any results from UT-Chattanooga?
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Brindlee Mountain got knocked out in the quarter finals, losing to ISS. I think I was the highest scorer from AL, but that's about all I got.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Indian Springs is very tough this year. It didn't help that Brindlee Mountain played very poorly against them. It looks like ISS is definitely a contender for the state championships this year.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

So how's the quiz bowl scene going in Alabama? I noticed the Hoover Invitational was held a couple of weeks ago and ISS won with LAMP in second. How'd y'all fair Lee, and was my former high school in attendance? If anyone cares to know, I'm now a member of the OU Academic Team and have been to a few tournaments and done pretty well so far.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

We didn't go to Hoover. We went to MLK's tournament in Nashville. It looks like BMHS has the same curse as last year, though. We went into the playoffs seeded #1 by a huge margin. No one was close. Then, we lost to the number 4 seed in the semi-finals...

Our "B" team lost to Ezell-Harding by 10 points. Ezell went on to win the tournament.

At Walton the week before that, we made the playoffs and lost to Chattahoochie on a tie-breaker in the quarter-finals.

At UTC, we defeated MLK A (the eventual champs), but lost to ISS in the quarter-finals.

This is very, very familiar. This is exactly what BMHS continuously did last year. I think that it is a mental breakdown that occurs in playoff games. I might have to tweak the A-team lineup a bit in order to get someone on the team who will not choke in these situations.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Anyone happen to have full results/field information from the Hoover tournament?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote:Anyone happen to have full results/field information from the Hoover tournament?
I guess not...
PeterGriffin
Lulu

Post by PeterGriffin »

Since they haven't been posted yet, here are the results from Austin:

Varsity:
1st - ISS
2nd - BMHS A
Other Semifinalists - BMHS B and Hoover

I don't really remember the final standings for JV, so I'll let someone else post them.

All-Tournament Team
MVP - Andy from BMHS A
2nd - Mark from BMHS B
3rd - Jenna from ISS
4th - Walter(I think?) from Hoover
Brindlee Mountain High School - 2006 Alabama NAQT State Champions
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I think that the JV was BMHS JV first and then Hoover JV
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

How did my old team do? Did they even attend? Also, was Bob Jones there in any capacity?
PeterGriffin
Lulu

Post by PeterGriffin »

David, I think ASFA made it to the quarter finals and lost to Hoover. Also, Bob Jones was not in attendance.
Brindlee Mountain High School - 2006 Alabama NAQT State Champions
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

The quality of Austin was not much better than last year, last year coming from :chip:. For every 5 absolutely horrible questions that were asked, there was about 1 decent tossup to complement them. The ASCA rule of no protesting a wrong answer didn't help matters. Here's an example:

(After my team had answered a tossup and were being given a bonus on Catch 22)

Moderator: The leader of the bombing division who was promoted by a computer error.
Me: Major Major.
Moderator: I need more.
Me: Major Major Major Major.
Moderator: Incorrect.

The answer on the sheet was "Major Major Major."

Of cousre what do you expect from a tournament where the score of the finals (between BMHS A and ISS) was 120-75.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I gotta take a moment and brag on my "B" team. They still have lost to no Alabama team other than our own "A" team.

Our JV team also kicked tail and won the JV division against Hoover.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Well, I finally caught my alma mater at the Brain Brawl at Ole Miss. They're not bad. Still painfully young (not an excuse considering the beatdowns Lee's teams put on certain teams as 8th graders, but they are young), and the buzzer-speed is a little off (I don't know HOW many buzzer races they lost on Saturday), but they know a lot more than some of the kids I played with did their sophomore years, and they still are showing signs of improvement. I think the future is starting to really get bright for Russellville, although I don't expect them to really compete on a state level for at least another year.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Did everyone in Alabama die or something?
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

nah just left and when into hibernation after Thanksgiving..:wink: But it has been kinda dead over here hasn't it..
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

It also doesn't help too much that a lot of the regular contributors to this thread have graduated and not so many have come to take their place. Isn't your tournament this Saturday, Lee?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DVader wrote:It also doesn't help too much that a lot of the regular contributors to this thread have graduated and not so many have come to take their place. Isn't your tournament this Saturday, Lee?
Yep... Tomorrow. 32 teams. It's gonna be a long day.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

It sounds like a very exciting time. I, on the other hand, will be freezing my behind off cheering for Oklahoma at the Big XII Championship.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

It was a pretty exciting time.. good tournament and a lot of good teams playing today
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Here are the results from the BMHS tournament today:

1st - BMHS A
2nd - ISS
3rd - LAMP
4th - BMHS B

It was double elimination playoffs, so we had to lose twice for ISS to win the finals. They won the first match by about 100 points, then we won the second by 75 points.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

JV results were

Russellville 1st
Scottsboro 2nd
Brindlee Mt 3rd
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Id like to thank Brindlee Mountain for an extremely enjoyable and well run tournament, although the double elimination brackets were slightly confusing. Congrats to Brindlee Mountain and Indian Springs for their respective placings. From today's tournament I think that the battle for dominance in AL will be very close among BMHS, ISS, and LAMP.

Anyways, I just have one question. Ive noticed that though ISS is always ranked relatively low going into the playoffs, they consistently manage to do extremely well in the playoffs, almost always upsetting higher ranked teams. For example, although ISS was ranked around 10th at Vanderbilt and 20th at Brookwood during this year's competitions, they still somehow managed to make it to the semifinals. Does anyone have any ideas about how ISS does so awesome in the playoffs? Is it intentional; is it luck; or is it some other factor?
Cooper98
Wakka

NAQT

Post by Cooper98 »

I just want to say i enjoyed attending the tournament earlier today at Brindlee Mountain and that today was my first experience with the NAQT format at first i relaly disliked it but its grown on me and i really liked the way you ran the tournament i just want to say from Gadsden City High we say thank you
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DZ_LAMP wrote:Id like to thank Brindlee Mountain for an extremely enjoyable and well run tournament, although the double elimination brackets were slightly confusing. Congrats to Brindlee Mountain and Indian Springs for their respective placings. From today's tournament I think that the battle for dominance in AL will be very close among BMHS, ISS, and LAMP.

Anyways, I just have one question. Ive noticed that though ISS is always ranked relatively low going into the playoffs, they consistently manage to do extremely well in the playoffs, almost always upsetting higher ranked teams. For example, although ISS was ranked around 10th at Vanderbilt and 20th at Brookwood during this year's competitions, they still somehow managed to make it to the semifinals. Does anyone have any ideas about how ISS does so awesome in the playoffs? Is it intentional; is it luck; or is it some other factor?
ISS is a weird team this year... As you know, Brindlee Mountain B beat them in the first round of the double-elimination. Had it been single-elimination, ISS would not have placed. Later though, ISS put Brindlee Mountain B out of the tournament by beating them 595-40! That's a huge win, especially when you consider that it was against a team who had earlier defeated them.

Also, ISS beat Brindlee Mountain A in the first championship round by over 100 points. This forced the 2nd round, which Brindlee Mountain won on the final tossup/bonus. It was close the whole time.

LAMP is a really good team this year, too. Just like ISS, they lost an early round to Brindlee Mountain B only to defeat Brindlee Mountain B later.

All in all, I do have to say that I am very proud of not only our A team, but also our B team. I really think that two of the best teams in Alabama this year are at Brindlee Mountain... I wish we could enter two teams in ASCA. It's going to be hard deciding who plays and when to sub this year in the ASCA competitions.

But, yes, I agree with David in that overall Alabama domination is hard to call right now. I definitely think that either LAMP, ISS, or Brindlee Mountain will win ASCA this year. I also predict that one of those teams will win NAQT. If and when Indian Springs truly brings their "A-game," they are the best team in Alabama. However, they don't always bring it. Brindlee Mountain is still sketchy in elimination matches, though they did better today.

We'll just have to see.
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

Nice meeting ya'll (some of you again) at the tournament - good luck in the future.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

I'm an enormous tool of epic proportions and no one likes me. I suck.

-Andy
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:I'm an enormous tool of epic proportions and no one likes me. I suck.

-Andy
LOL. You probably shouldn't leave yourself signed-in at a computer that your teammates also use. :wink:
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:I'm an enormous tool of epic proportions and no one likes me. I suck.

-Andy
Excellent.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'm of course not from Alabama, but I played ISS twice at Vanderbilt and I was wondering why they weren't mentioned more.
We beat them both times, but they were decent. They got some questions that we just simply didn't know. They played within 100 points both times.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I think I'll note that in the semi final we got so far ahead that early in the 2nd half it became technically impossible for them to win. once we were locked to win we started playing poorly and they picked up a lot of stuff.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Anyone know the results from LAMP today?
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Results from the LAMP Invitational Tournament this past Saturday, Jan. 6, 2007.

Of the 48 total teams from 6 states:

Varsity
1st - Indian Springs
2nd - Aiken (SC)
Semi - Vestavia Hills
Semi - Oak Mountain

Junior Varsity
1st - Brookwood (GA)
2nd - Austin
Semi - Hoover
Semi - Russelville

Thanks to everyone who came, and I hope you had an enjoyable experience.

For DVader: I think ASFA was seeded 8th going into the playoffs and lost in the quarterfinals.