Illinois 06-07

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Considering the way I played, I'm kinda glad it was humanities-heavy. After all, in how many tourneys am I going to power a tossup on Hedda Gabler, then fail to find 360*7 in less than 15 seconds?

The 360*7 thing was a little embarrassing... I'm supposed to be the math guy on my team, too.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

I didn't mind the Bible questions. Granted, I'm the teammate who "knows her Bible", but there were a lot. Thanks for making them in-depth (I still missed a couple on more obscure books and characters).
Q's were very good. We only had one bad one all day! Moderators were also good on the whole, if a little faster than we see (not at all a bad thing).
tedwilliams1999
Kimahri

Post by tedwilliams1999 »

hey everyone...my first post here and I was just wondering if anyone has heard of Evan Jones from Hoffman Estates....

He's our captain and hopefully with him we stand a chance against some of these big name schools
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Hoffman Estates is for real and has been for a long time! The only problem with Hoffman Estates (the town, not the team) is that it borders Palatine, which is home to Fremd; another team that has been great for years, but otherworldly for the past two in particular.

H.E. ..... not a team to ever look past unless you are interested in getting skewered!
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Northwestern field update: Barrington, Maine East, Maine South, Loyola, Sterling, New Trier, Hoffman Estates, Naperville North, Wheaton Academy, Moline, Marist, Notre Dame, and West Aurora. Maine South and New Trier have B Teams.

Good luck to everybody at Ultima--perhaps the most unpredictable tournament of the year.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I'm kind of glad I'm going to be the first to post on the Loyola Ultima .....All of the teams there played very well in a tough tournament field.

Final four:
1. Maine South
2. Bloomington
3. Maine East
4. St. Ignatius

The questions were generally good, but there were some questions that REALLY need to never EVER be seen again anywhere, anytime.

The final match got close at times between all four teams. Maine South led at the end of periods 1 & 2. On question 63 of 65, Bloomington caught Maine South .... and then negged the final question. Maine South led by seven points going into the team question on African geography and history.

The moderator then asked for a coaches consultation because one team had used names instead of numbers (I think) to answer the questions, which was against the directions on the sheet. The match was too close, and I didn't want to get involved. Turns out, this cost Bloomington the match.

My team finished ahead in the tournament, and yet were not the happiest bunch in the world, finishing on a technicality. We had a short pow-wow, and asked them what they want to do. I believe they were leaning toward doing a quick trophy swap. No Bloomington team member moaned or complained. The Bloomington coach came over and asked us to stop, complimented us on a kind gesture and good play.

I'm proud that my team would contemplate trying to right a situation like that. I also think that it should be publicly stated that Bloomington (players and coach) acted with genuine class.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

In response to that, Bloomington, thanks for being awesome about it, but the trophy was yours.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Ok...I've been talking to a few of the people on the team. I didn't mean it to sound like a team comment. It isn't. That was MY personal feeling. I'm still immensely grateful to Bloomington for being so great about the whole thing. They could have screamed and cried and moaned and groaned, but they acted with incredible class. Thanks. I'm sorry if I trod on anyone's feet.
patjm6163
Lulu

Post by patjm6163 »

[quote="ReinsteinD"]Northwestern field update: Barrington, Maine East, Maine South, Loyola, Sterling, New Trier, Hoffman Estates, Naperville North, Wheaton Academy, Moline, Marist, Notre Dame, and West Aurora. Maine South and New Trier have B Team

Maine East will also have a B team
Belgarion89
Lulu

Post by Belgarion89 »

JohnandSlation wrote:In response to that, Bloomington, thanks for being awesome about it, but the trophy was yours.
We were happy to be even in the afternoon rounds. According to Voorhees, that was the first time our team had done that well.

And, as usual, the pizza was awesome!
We didn't start the fire.....
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Results from the Northwestern's Wildcat:

1. Bloomington
2. New Trier A
3. St. Ignatius
4. New Trier B
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Chris, since you've seen both, I'm curious as to your answer to this:

In recent years, the trend has been (stereotypically; there have been exceptions) that east coast teams do better at HSNCT. How would you compare the level of play you saw today as to that normally found on the east coast on IS packets?
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

A week ago, I complimented Bloomington for playing well, and acting classy in defeat. I repeat these sentiments this week, replacing "defeat" with victory. This is one incredibly balanced fast team, with a pretty deep knowledge base. Having seen some of the really good team at NAQT nationals, Bloomington played this format as well as any of them: excellent clock management, and virtually errorless play.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

It was an incredible match to watch. I only wish I could have played in it. It was amazing. Well done!
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Chris, since you've seen both, I'm curious as to your answer to this:

In recent years, the trend has been (stereotypically; there have been exceptions) that east coast teams do better at HSNCT. How would you compare the level of play you saw today as to that normally found on the east coast on IS packets?

The short answer is, inferior. That's also the lame answer, so let me expand. East coast teams (the ones that are the best at pyramidals) make them their focus. For them, non-pyramid formats (aside from local tv shows) are the exception rather than the rule. Even with the strides Illinois has taken, it just takes more than a few naqt tournaments a year to make that kind of a transition.

Putting it bluntly, a team averaging 3 powers a game and less than 20 ppb would get rocked by most of the stronger east coast teams. It's my opinion that this is mostly due to the aformentioned regional disadvantage. It's clear to me that teams like, say, Bloomington and New Trier have desire, experience, professionalism, etc. And they're very good teams. I read one game for Bloomington in which they put up 640 points. That's good no matter what. But right now, I can't see any of the top east coast teams losing to any of the top IL teams.

I do, however, think that could change. Several teams I saw have massive potential. New Trier is certainly balanced and has at least 2 people who I know are extremely dedicated. I know Aegis questions and whatnot is targeted at Illinois teams and scobol solo-esque question formats, but I strongly urge you to stop writing those kinds of questions. Question writing is the best kind of improvement strategy there is, but it's wasted if you don't emulate the kind of questions you want to excel at.

Anyway, this is early in the year. Everyone's always much, much better by the end. Both New Trier and Bloomington could finish very well at nationals
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Good luck to all of the fr/so who are playing at Carmel Catholic this weekend. If what I saw at the Fremd tournament was any indication, we have people with a lot of potential!
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

I'd like to remind anyone who played in the Wayne City Kickoff this weekend, that discussion of the questions should be strictly off limits until 6pm CT on Nov. 18th.

I'd also like to hear any comments/complaints/insults about any aspects of the tournament. *hint hint, the questions, hint hint*

Also, results from Carmel's F/S:
1.) Stevenson 'A'
2.) Roycemore
3.) Wheaton Warrenville South 'A'
4.) Loyola Academy 'A'

'B' Team Bracket:
1.) Loyola Academy 'B'
2.) Marist 'B'
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

mlaird wrote:I'd also like to hear any comments/complaints/insults about any aspects of the tournament. *hint hint, the questions, hint hint*
But of course, no specifics. Just general comments.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Here's my bits on the Carmel questions as an official who did not have a team (read: a neutral third party observor):

1. Had they not been written in-house, they would have been written by a certain questions company that is not deserved of even being mentioned. In that respect, the questions given were better than the alternative.

2. The TD informed the assembled of the issue before the tournament started, and permitted coaches to give heads up to their teams. Note: two weeks ago, I was at a tournament where the mods did not know the rules, admitted as such, but only by chance in round 4 was I told that "most of the people were out", and "most of hte moderators have never read before". In this respect, he did what he could.

3. The difficulty level of the questions was fine, except for the pre-calculus and trig. There is some trig that is doable at this level, but a lot of that was not.

4. The questions could have used editing. That much is clear, and I say that having written questions that in hindsight needed more editing than I thought.

All things considered, the folks at Carmel did as good a job as they could. I'm sure they learned a valuable lesson, and as such they will not repeat them if it can be all helped.
Bubiyuqn
Lulu

Post by Bubiyuqn »

Well, I didn't go to the Kickoff (I'm not even sure we sent a team), so I can't comment about anything anyway. I'm probably the only person from that Kickoff that posts on/reads these boards, so it looks like you're going to have to wait for feedback :/

Too bad I didn't get to go though, I would have liked to play the local teams with worthwhile questions for a change.

-J Stoncius
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

It is time...

Welcome to the 2007 New Trier Scobol Solo Prognostication Threadjacking!

Tonight, we'll go over all you need to know to be fully prepared for Saturday's showdown in Lincolnshire. We've got the lowdown on the locks to make the final, odds on who will win the morning, best bets for the Desperation Shot, top underclassmen, and the schools most likely to put two in the Championship.

Here are my top ten questions to ask of this year's tourney.

1. Will any school put multiple students in the final?
New Trier is obviously a favorite in this category, seeing as how they did it with two returning underclassmen last year. Maine East could do it, Maine South also has a chance, and with Greg almost guaranteed to make it (barring the Donald Taylor/Blair Nathan Memorial "Junior Slump"), Wheaton North isn't out of the question. My opinion - just New Trier.

2. Will anyone sweep all the subcategories of a certain subject?
I say no - Gauthier could in math, but Stoncius and Angiuli will give him a run for his money. With Greg and Justin going up against each other in round one, I can see their hopes for the 3 way sweep be split apart right off the bat. No one comes off as truly dominating in lit, social studies, or science to me to think that they could win all three.

3. What, if any, underclassmen will make the finals?
Well, Greg's an obvious choice to guess before the tourney. I'm going to make a prediction that Siva will make an appearance in the finals this year.

4. How many members of this year's finals made the finals last year? Desperation Shot last year?
My prediction is that Carlo, Nick, and Greg repeat in the finals, with Erin Li and Greg Peterson rising from last year's Desperation Shot.

5. Who will win this year's Desperation Shot?
This is, of course, absolute bollocks to attempt to predict. Why I'm attempting, I don't know. If I were to guess, I would say someone who's good at history, as it seems to be favored on the test. My guess is Matt Gerken of Sterling.

6. Who will win the morning round?
It takes a strong generalist to win the entire morning - by the time you reach rounds 6 and 7, you're playing former Team Illinois members, All-Staters, and the like. I favor Justin Stoncius to win the morning, based on his PPG at Earlybird.

7. Who will make the finals?
My 9 finalists, in alphabetical order:
Carlo Angiuli
Greg Gauthier
Matt Gerken
Erin Li
Nick Matchen
Greg Peterson
Justin Stoncius
Siva Sundaram
Kristina Warren

8. Who will win the whole shebang?
Almost as hard to predict as the Desperation Shot. It takes experience and top-notch strength in multiple categories to come up victorious in this thing. I'm going with Carlo to win this year - he's got strength over math, science, and a good deal of fine arts.

Of course, if he goes down with pertussis, all bets are off. :)

P.S. How about the new avatar? It only took a week to get in line with the November theme, but it was worth it.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

Of those 9 that you mentioned there, are any of them members of this forum?
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

These are the ones I know.
I'm Siva Sundaram.
Carlo Anguili is leapfrog314.
Nick Matchen is Trevkeeper.
Greg Peterson is cornfused.
Justin Stoncius is Bubiyuqn.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Carlo, Matt, Nick, Justin, Greg, Siva, and possibly Kristina (maybe she doesn't post much, but I think she's here) are members. I'm 90% sure Erin has a teammate who posts here. Wheaton North doesn't show up here at all, so Greg's the only one who I'm sure doesn't have a connection to the board.

There's a significant correlation - definitely not a coincidence - between being a member of this board and being good at quizbowl.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

In my infinite wisdom, I didn't note that the Greg that is here is Greg Peterson, and the Greg that isn't here is Greg Gauthier.

Also, MJG is Matt Gerken.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

The Greg issue is why my signature was, for a while, "the other Greg of IL quizbowl." Speaking of which, I'm not sure what happened to my signature....

As for the possibility of the math sweep, just remember that the all-around folks aren't the only ones playing. One of my (Maine South) teammates, though not a generalist, can hold his own with at least two of the mentioned three players at math. I'm sure there's other people like him out there in most of the subjects - That's the great part about the Solo - you get people who don't get much attention in team events coming out of the woodwork yelling BANG!!!

That being said, the one thing I know about the Solo is that I know nothing at all. I'm not going to follow Brad and predict everything - though I must say, his nine picks all make sense. Yes, I think he'll be wrong on one or maybe two of those picks, but I couldn't pick which ones... there's a certain degree of luck involved, no?

Three predictions:
Most likely to make the finals and then neg him-(or her-)self into an elimination: 60% G. Peterson, 40% other, 0% K. Warren.
Most likely to make the finals of those previously unmentioned: J. Brown and/or L. Pacold.
Most likely to win everything: in a freak registration accident, Y. Raut.

Good luck to all, and to all a good night.
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Sweeping category awards is really tough. Remember last year, everyone was thinking Colleen could sweep lit. She knows her lit, but she only got one Lit category ribbon. I think math is especially tough to sweep.

Unlike previous years, there isn't anybody from out of state, as far as I know. I predict that nobody comes out of left field into the finals. This prognostication thread will be off, but I don't think Joe Schmo from Podunk High will make it to the finals -- everyone there will be at least fairly well-known, though some of them will be a bit unexpected.

I have some other more specific thoughts about Solo, but I'm going to hold my tongue. (After I let go, I'll wash my fingers, don't worry.)
Carlo Angiuli, Indiana University
Director, Aegis Questions, Inc.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Greg's right about the luck aspect. Last year I lost my first match (to a teammate, nonetheless), and somehow won the next 6. And then, like everyone else, got obliterated by Robert Sale in the final.

I don't pretend to have any idea as to how I'll Saturday. I'm too busy being worried about Pertussis.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If I were to guess, I would say someone who's good at history, as it seems to be favored on the test. My guess is Matt Gerken of Sterling.
I'm glad to see that somebody takes this as seriously as I do.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

SIVster716 wrote:These are the ones I know.
I'm Siva Sundaram.
Carlo Anguili is leapfrog314.
Nick Matchen is Trevkeeper.
Greg Peterson is cornfused.
Justin Stoncius is Bubiyuqn.
Thanks for the info, I was just seeing if I remembered anyone from ACE (either from this summer or last). I know you (Siva) and I were in the same practice room at least 1 day this year, and I was on a nightly tourney team with Greg Peterson once, as well as being in the same practice room.

Last year, Justin beat me in the math finals to win it, which makes me sad on the inside, but I got over it ^_^

BTW, I was the weird guy from Missouri who tended to be more random than most other players. I also played a lotta frisbee.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Yeah, I played lots of frisbee. I was on your tournament team the first night, I think. I distinctly remember you saying the real name of Grandma Moses and being ruled in correct.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

You were the captain, no? For some reason, I seem to remember you being the captain of our team that night...
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I was.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

Well, I guess it's a good thing that I'm finding some people that I know on this board...

I think I'll put any further discussion into the ACE topic though, so I don't spam up this one.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

cornfused wrote: Most likely to make the finals and then neg him-(or her-)self into an elimination: 60% G. Peterson, 40% other, 0% K. Warren.
50%. You're definitely doing a lot better with the negging, especially when it costs us points.
MJG
Lulu

Post by MJG »

I'm flattered by the above. I really have to say I would call it an upset if I made the finals. After going through Northwestern, I don't consider myself on anywhere near the same level as Carlo, Stoncius, etc. I got killed by Stoncius at Team Illinois last year, and I wouldn't expect that result to change much. But we will see what happens tomorrow. Mostly, I am looking forward to some NORMAL Illinois format meets after this week, hoping for an upset win at our Kickoff, though Siva will do his best to prevent that lol.
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Welcome to the New Trier Scobol Solo Prognostication Results!
styxman wrote:1. Will any school put multiple students in the final?
...My opinion - just New Trier.
Maine South AND Auburn. Surprising.
styxman wrote:3. What, if any, underclassmen will make the finals?
Well, Greg's an obvious choice to guess before the tourney. I'm going to make a prediction that Siva will make an appearance in the finals this year.
Greg and Siva. Well done, Brad.
styxman wrote:4. How many members of this year's finals made the finals last year? Desperation Shot last year?
My prediction is that Carlo, Nick, and Greg repeat in the finals, with Erin Li and Greg Peterson rising from last year's Desperation Shot.
Carlo and Greg repeat. Greg Peterson rises...
styxman wrote:5. Who will win this year's Desperation Shot?
This is, of course, absolute bollocks to attempt to predict...My guess is Matt Gerken of Sterling.
A girl from Downers Grove North.
styxman wrote:6. Who will win the morning round?
It takes a strong generalist to win the entire morning - by the time you reach rounds 6 and 7, you're playing former Team Illinois members, All-Staters, and the like. I favor Justin Stoncius to win the morning, based on his PPG at Earlybird.
Almost. Justin was the last to lose his undefeated status, losing it to Greg Gauthier. Greg Peterson and I lost in the penultimate round.
styxman wrote:7. Who will make the finals?
My 9 finalists, in alphabetical order:
Carlo Angiuli, Greg Gauthier, Matt Gerken, Erin Li, Nick Matchen, Greg Peterson, Justin Stoncius, Siva Sundaram, Kristina Warren
Morning Champ:
Greg Gauthier
6-1 Club:
Carlo Angiuli
Greg Peterson
Justin Stoncius
Siva Sundaram
Kristina Warren
Jeff Wear
John Brown
Desperation Shot Winner
styxman wrote:8. Who will win the whole shebang?
Almost as hard to predict as the Desperation Shot. It takes experience and top-notch strength in multiple categories to come up victorious in this thing. I'm going with Carlo to win this year - he's got strength over math, science, and a good deal of fine arts.
Indeed. I did win. I only got one category ribbon, however, unlike most of the people in the finals. Does this mean I'm a generalist?
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Yessir, it does. You are also, coincidence would have it, not a rhinoceros.

But seriously... Scobowl Solo + pyramidal questions = great tourney. Major thanks to Mr. Reinstein for writing - this was fun, and i'm not just saying that 'cause of the big shiny bowl now sitting on my dishwasher.

Does anyone know the exact finish? Carlo in 1st, Greg in 2nd, Kristina and I tied for 3rd, Jeff in 5th... if I remember correctly, no one had 4 pts after 40 questions, but some folks had three and some had two, and I can't remember which are which.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Are you counting underclassmen as non-seniors, or freshmen and sophomores? Because both John Brown and Greg Gauthier are juniors.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Aside from 3 of the "music" questions, it was an amazing tournament. Many thanks again for the great questions, and well played to all who made the finals. It was great to watch, and even more fun to play on paper.
MJG
Lulu

Post by MJG »

'Twas a fun time. I felt decent about my performance, and at least got a category ribbon (if Current Events qualifies as a real category lol). And for the record, I would have gotten that governor handout during the finals. It is always fun to see the best of the best go at it like that, and Congrats to Carlo for a well-earned victory. I just felt bad for Justin for having to drive back to Carbondale, although I suppose that's not as bad as flying back to Georgia.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Actually, it's much quicker to fly to Georgia than it is to drive to Carbondale from the far noth suburbs. And it's a credit to Justin that he came the distance ne did to paticipate.

AND, current events is a realy category......unlike certain others: to paraphrase my colleague Mr. Laird, when you correctly answer a pop culture quesiton, a puppy dies....

:cry:
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

JohnandSlation wrote:Aside from 3 of the "music" questions, it was an amazing tournament. Many thanks again for the great questions, and well played to all who made the finals. It was great to watch, and even more fun to play on paper.
Overall, the questions that you hear at the Solo are the toughest in the state all year, and to add on, among the highest quality (errors were exceptionally minimal, and even the one or two taht I found did not appear to affect play at all) .... especially in the championship round. I've always said anyone who can get up to 10 in that round should have a patch made and add it to their uniform for the rest of their playing career, because that is a rare feat of knowledge and skill! This year, Carlo wins the big silver bowl, and earned it by besting a pretty loaded field that could have still included a few more names that are most excellent players, and did not qualify for the finals.

I have to add my voice to the music issue though ...... last year there was a push to redefine music in the IHSA state series after 45,635,567,915 questions about pickup trucks, broken hearts, standing by your man, and other such "music". I don't mean that as an insult to the Country-Western crowd out there .... but just like rock/metal/rap, etc, that music is more pop culture than actual music history or theory. Fortunately, this year, those questions are being relegated to pop culture, which in and of itself will make up a smaller part of the state series (4 art, 2 pop culture). I have to say that as pioneering as they may have been, The Sex Pistols, Chuck Berry, and co. should be relegated as well.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

I guess I killed six puppies....but I got a nice blue ribbon to show for it!
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Speaking of category ribbons:

I picked one up on the floor on the way out of the tournament, and both my players have theirs. Does anyone know of a player who received a ribbon and lost it on the way out? I will be happy to arrange for its return to the rightful owner.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Yeah, that would be mine, Mr. Egan. Thanks for picking it up. I think it fell out of my bowl when I was carrying it.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

David Riley wrote:AND, current events is a realy category......unlike certain others: to paraphrase my colleague Mr. Laird, when you correctly answer a pop culture quesiton, a puppy dies....

:cry:
I resent that. I'm quite happy with my three-peat. I'm especially happy with it, considering it's all I really have to be happy about from Saturday...except for the US History ribbon, of course.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

SIVster716 wrote:Yeah, that would be mine, Mr. Egan. Thanks for picking it up. I think it fell out of my bowl when I was carrying it.
Are you folks coming to Wheaton North on Saturday? If so, I will bring it along. If not, I will mail it out this week.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

I'm 99% sure that Auburn's going to Sterling.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

Yes, we're going to Sterling. Thank you very much in advance for sending the ribbon to this irresponsible young'n.