MLK 2007 Announcement

Old college threads.
your mom
Lulu

MLK 2007 Announcement

Post by your mom »

What's up quiz bowlers?

Michigan Academic Competitions is pleased to announce our annual Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Tournament, taking place on Saturday January 13 2007, the Saturday immediately before Martin Luther King Day.

This is an academic tournament with UNTIMED ROUNDS. It's also an OPEN tournament, so anyone from anywhere can play on whatever team they want. We also encourage you to play with your school as a prep for the regionals tournaments. Whatever. There will be POWER TOSSUPS. Difficulty will be comparable to last year (except we won't make the playoffs so hard, sorry about that), somewhere around the level of ACF Fall to ACF Regionals. The MLK will be followed on Sunday by the annual Ann B. Davis Trash Tournament, to be announced separately.

The tournament will be co-edited this year by Ryan Westbrook and myself (David Rappaport- that's me). Send all packets to both of us. I'll reiterate this in a minute.

SEND YOUR PACKETS TO BOTH RYAN AND I AT THE E-MAILS LISTED BELOW!!! We will both need your packets to edit them!

This is going to be a good tournament, because we're going to write lots of questions and edit your questions and work hard on it. So please come and play.

CONTACTS

Questions about logistics, registration and all things not packet-related should be addressed to Tournament Director David Rappaport ([email protected]). Questions about packets, distributions, and the like should be addressed to the Ryan Westbrook ([email protected]), because he'll be more likely to answer your questions about such things.

FEE STRUCTURE

Base fee for first team from a given school: $95
Base fee for additional teams from same school: $85
Buzzer systems: -$5/system (max of 2)
You've never been to the MLK before: -$10/team
You're coming from more than 500 miles away: -$20/team

PACKET DUE DATES

You can send Ryan and Dave a packet by:

25 November: -$30
9 December: -$15
16 December: No Penalty
25 Dec: +20
1 January: +30
After that: +$40 and perhaps disqualification from playing

GET PACKETS TO US ON TIME, SO WE CAN EDIT/WRITE A GOOD TOURNAMENT. Please don't make us beg you for packets.

Minimum fee per team: $50

A copy of the questions will be e-mailed to every player after the tournament free of charge.

TO REGISTER: Send David an e-mail ([email protected]) with all pertinent
information (number of teams, members of teams, buzzers, other applicable discounts, anything else I should know), and I will send a confirmation e-mail back to insure that the registration info is all in order.

Regarding payment: We want your money before you play. Checks should be made out to Michigan Academic Competitions and they can either be mailed to me (e-mail me for address info) before the tournament, or you can pay the morning of the tournament. I will make sure you know how much you owe when you e-mail me to register, pending packet discounts/fees, which I will keep track of.

QUESTION SUBMISSION

Distribution

Literature: 5/5 (vary by region, including at least 1/1 American, 1/1 European, 1/1 World Lit)
History: 5/5 (at least 1/1 American, 2/2 European, 1/1 World and 1/1 pre-1000 A.D. history)
Science: 5/5 (1/1 chemistry, 1/1 physics, 1/1 biology, 1/1 math, 1/1 astronomy or computer science or earth science or other)
Fine Arts: 3/3 (at least 1/1 art and 1/1 classical music)
Social Science: 2/2 (no more than 1/1 of any discipline)
Myth, Religion, Philosophy: 3/3 (1/1 of each of these things)
Geography: 1/1 (not on same landform)
Pop Culture/Trash: 1/1

Teams that have less experience writing questions may want to consult the
Michigan Memorandum on question writing, available on the web at:

http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac/rules/memorandum2002.html

Along with its appendix:

http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac/rules/appendix2002.html

If you feel that your team absolutely can't complete the writing requirements above, e-mail Ryan at [email protected] and we'll try to work something out.

Packets should be submitted, if at all possible, as Word documents.

FORMATTING

-- Remember that this is a timed tournament. Tossups should 6-7 lines of
of 10 point Times New Roman type. Bonus parts should not be more than two lines, or have more than four prompts.

Put the question and answer on separate lines with the answer clearly marked by ANSWER: and underline or bold-face the necessary part
of the answer as well as any alternative answers.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT: Depending on how many teams we get, we'll probably divide into well, divisions of some sort and play about 9 or 10 prelim rounds (it'll be plenty, don't worry). Then there'll be several playoff/consolation rounds for you to enjoy. I'll tell you more when I figure it out.

BASIC LOGISTICS:

If you're wondering how to get to Ann Arbor and where to stay once you getthere, some general suggestions can be found at:

http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac/faq/part2.html

IF YOU WANT TO MIRROR, E-MAIL DAVID. We'll most likely be just fine with mirroring the set in exchange for some packets or whatnot.

WE NEED FREELANCE PACKETS. PLEASE! So if you are able to freelance us a packet, we'll be super greatful and give you the whole set in return. This helped us out a lot last year, and we could use that help again this year. E-mail RYAN if you are interested.

If you have more specific questions, send David an e-mail.

We look forward to seeing you in January.

Cheers,
Rappaport
your mom
Lulu

clarify

Post by your mom »

yeah, it's not a timed tournament. sorry about the fact that it says it is in the format section. i recycled this from an old announcement. It's untimed. No clocks.
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Just bumping this and noting the early submission deadline is a week and a half away.
your mom
Lulu

Post by your mom »

Bumping this message again because, my friends, MLK is a month away and I want more teams to add to the field already consisting of:

Chicago A
Chicago B
Chicago C
Chicago D
Chicago E
Illinois A (well, Sorice and friends so we'll call them Illinois)
Illinois B
Carleton A
Carleton B (Hilleman et al)
Rochester A
Rochester B
Rochester C
Pitt A
Pitt B
Pitt C
Jerry "i want some teammates but i'll probably end up playing solo" Vinokurov
Perhaps a team from Eastern Michigan
Undoubtedly a house team or two

If you're not on this list, get yourself on it by e-mailing me at [email protected]. This means you: Leo, Paul, Weiner, Kwartler, Northwestern, Bowling Green, Michigan State, Passner, anybody and everybody else. Come to the tournament. We would love to have you.

Also, the packet deadlines are quickly approaching and passing. I've received packets from both Carleton teams and from Illinois B, but not from anyone else. Get those in ASAP.

Let me know what your teams are and any other questions you have.

dave
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

If you're interested in playing with me, and perhaps sharing packet-writing duties, email me at jerry_v at brown dot edu.
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

i am going to this tournament. I am not sure whether I will be joined by UVA teammates. If not, well, um, you can all fight over my 3 ppg (seriously my qb knowledge has atrophied thanks to alcohol + gambling). Email me or talk to me on AIM or some shit.
your mom
Lulu

MLK Final Field

Post by your mom »

Alright. Here's the current MLK field as I see it

Chicago A
Chicago B
Chicago C
Chicago D
Chicago E
Pitt A
Pitt B
Pitt C
Rochester A
Rochester B
Rochester C
Vanderbilt
UIUC A
UIUC B
Carleton A
Carleton B
Jerry et al
Weiner et al
Chris Ray et al
Wisconsin
Leo/Matt/Paul (if other people from UVA come they can play on this team or maybe with Jerry or on a house team or whatever)
House Team

This makes 22 teams. That's ideal, cause we'd do two divisions of 11 and each team would get 10 prelim rounds. We can't write much more than that anyway. SO with that said, I'd like to tentatively close the MLK field at this number. If you still want in, e-mail me and we'll talk. If/when the inevitable drop of a team comes, we'll hopefully have enough padding with house players or whatever to make it work.

I've been getting lots of packets. Thanks.

David
your mom
Lulu

Post by your mom »

Yeah I know it's Christmas. Whatever, I'm a Jew. Today's a boring day for me. Anyway, Jerry had to drop from the field, which leaves the MLK field at 21 teams. If there's another team drop, which I've found in the past to be a likely thing, then we'll be at 20 teams. If not, we'll probably axe the house team and work with a field of 20 in that case as well. That means we'll try to run a format in two divisions so each team gets 9 prelim rounds and a bye (on which they may well be expected to staff). I think that'll be plenty given the dense nature of the packets. For the playoffs, we're house writing three rounds and we'll take the top two teams from each bracket and do a four team playoff. Then the next two teams from each bracket will have their own four team playoff, and we can do like wise for those of the remaining teams who wish to stay and play, given that we have sufficient staff on hand. Just thought people might be interested.

Oh yeah, and I'm still waiting on packets from UIUC A, Lafer/Leo/Litvak, Ray Luo, some Rochester people, all the Pitt Teams, Weiner, and Jerry. And maybe some other teams too.

Word.

See you all on the 13th. I'll send some announcement of some sort with more info later.

David
cdbarker
Lulu

Live Stat Updates

Post by cdbarker »

Though I suspect that many of the people who care about the stats are able to find them on the wall outside the stat room, if you'd like to follow along:

http://www.collegequizbowl.org/2007MLK/ ... dings.html

Thank you and apologies to any names I have wrong.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Thanks for the live updates, Craig.
your mom
Lulu

MLK Results

Post by your mom »

So uh, MLK is over. It was a success. Many thanks to everyone who came and played, those who staffed, and the immortal Craig Barker for his statistical genius. Results?

Chicago B (Yaphe, Austin, Arthur, Sun)
Chicago A (Teitler, Ferrari, Koo, Samelsonopolousovitsy)
Illinois A (Potru, Ullsperger, Sorice, Other dude)
Carleton A (Carleton...)

Next Bracket down had Vandy, Lafer/Leo/Litvak, Weiner, and some other team.

Don't talk about the questions, as BU is mirroring in a few weeks.
Other feedback greatly appreciated. Let us know how you liked it, and what could have been better. Word.

David
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

The second bracket went Vandy (3-0), Lafer/Wolpert/Litvak (2-1), Weiner (1-2), and Wisconsin (0-3) - at least I'm pretty sure that's how it worked out. Thanks to everyone who was involved in the running of this tournament. Without any specifics, we mostly enjoyed the questions, and overall we had a great time.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Holy shit Weiner, 8-3-0-150?

From what I hear of this set...wow.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

theMoMA wrote:Holy shit Weiner, 8-3-0-150?

That was a statkeeper error. I believe his negs were counted as powers and he actually went something like 3-3-5.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Dolemite wrote:
theMoMA wrote:Holy shit Weiner, 8-3-0-150?

That was a statkeeper error. I believe his negs were counted as powers and he actually went something like 3-3-5.
Carleton B 245, Weiner et al 195
Weiner et al: Matt Weiner 8 3 0 150, Pat F 0 0 0 0
Carleton B: Julie Stahlhut 0 1 0 10, Eric Hillemann 0 6 1 55, Richard 0 3 0 30
Bonuses: Weiner et al 11 45 4.09, Carleton B 10 150 15.00
Apparently so. I was going to say...that would be some pretty shitty bonus conversion.