RESULTS: CHS Acad. Team Tourney (2/24/07) in Alpharetta, GA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rountree
Rikku

RESULTS: CHS Acad. Team Tourney (2/24/07) in Alpharetta, GA

Post by Rountree »

Chattahoochee High School is pleased to annouce the 2nd annual CHS Cougar Academic Team Tournament will be held on February 24th, 2007 at CHS in Alpharetta, GA (suburban Atlanta). Teams from all over are welcome to attend.

The tournament format will be comprised of 4-quarter rounds with a minimum of 5 preliminary games per team, followed by single elimination playoff rounds. The cost will be $60 for the first team, and $50 for each additional team. Registration fees will increase $10 per team after 2/10/07.

Registration information and such will be posted in the near future on this website and on the Georgia Academic Team Association's website (http://www.gataquizbowl.org. (Note to GA teams, this is the last Varsity tournament before our State Championship on March 2nd, 2007.)

We look forward to seeing you there.
Rountree
Rikku

Website Correction for GATA

Post by Rountree »

The GATA website for those interested is www.gataquizbowl.org not com. I apologize for the error.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I edited in the proper address for you. Hope it helps!
Rountree
Rikku

Thanks!

Post by Rountree »

I appreciate your help.
Rountree
Rikku

CHS CATT Registration Info

Post by Rountree »

Your school is cordially invited to the 2nd annual CHS CATT to be held on the campus of Chattahoochee High School in Alpharetta, GA on Saturday, February 24th, 2007.

The CATT will consist of two tournaments held simultaneously, a Junior Varsity Division and a Varsity Division. Grades 9 – 12 may compete in the Varsity Division, but only grades 10 and under may compete in the Junior Varsity Division!

The tournaments feature each team playing 5 preliminary matches. After the preliminaries conclude, a single elimination playoff involving the top 16 teams for each division will determine the top 4 finishers of each division who will all win awards.

Registration will begin in the CHS main lobby at 8 am. Preliminary matches will begin at 9 am. Playoff rounds will begin after the lunch break.

Schools may enter more than one 4-person team in each division. Spaces will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis, so act promptly to secure your participation.

If you have any questions, please contact Tournament Director Elliott L. Rountree via email at [email protected] or at [email protected].

A copy of the preliminary questions will be given to all participants after the preliminary rounds are complete. However, if you cannot attend the tournament but would like a copy of the preliminary rounds questions, complete the registration form on the next post and send a check for $25 to the address below. Those questions will be mailed to you after the tournament on February 24th.

***Please make your checks out to CHS Academic Team Boosters. Mail to:
Elliott L. Rountree
Chattahoochee High School
5230 Taylor Road
Alpharetta, GA 30022
Rountree
Rikku

CHS CATT Registration Form

Post by Rountree »

To receive a registration form for the tournament, you can either email me at [email protected] or at [email protected], or you can go online to http://www.gataquizbowl.org to download one.
Rountree
Rikku

FIELD UPDATE--CHS CATT (2/24/07)

Post by Rountree »

With a little more than a month to go before our tournament on February 24th, we have the following teams already registered. We are capping each division at 36 teams, so please act soon if you would like to reserve a spot in either division.

Varsity - 10
Dorman (2)
Brookwood (2)
Etowah (2)
Grayson(1)
Northgate (1)
Sequoyah (1)
Roswell (1)

JV - 8
Dorman (1)
Brookwood (2)
Grayson (2)
Northgate (1)
Seqouyah (1)
Roswell (1)

If you would like to register your team(s), you may email me at either [email protected] or at [email protected]. (You may also download a copy from the GATA website, http://www.gataquizbowl.org, under the Tournament Calendar tab.) As usual, you may bring your check with you on the 24th, or snail mail it in with your registration.

In brief, the cost is $60 for the first team, and $50 for each additional team (regardless of division).
Rountree
Rikku

FIELD UPDATE: CHS CATT--2/24/07

Post by Rountree »

With one month to go before the CHS CATT on February 24th, we have an update for both the Varsity and JV divisions:

Varsity--13
Brookwood - 2
Central Gwinnett - 1
Dorman - 2
Etowah - 2
Grayson - 1
Heritage - 1
Northgate - 1
Roswell - 1
Sequoyah - 1
South Gwinnett - 1

The following teams have expressed an interest, but have yet to register:
Cedar Shoals
Crescent
Norcross
Walton

Junior Varsity--10
Brookwood - 2
Central Gwinnett - 1
Dorman - 1
Grayson - 2
Northgate - 1
River Trail - 1
Roswell - 1
Seqouyah - 1

We are capping each division at 36 teams, so we still have some spots left in both, but you should act soon to reserve a spot.

See the above posts for directions about how to register, or you may email me at [email protected] or [email protected].
Rountree
Rikku

UPDATE: CHS CATT--2/24/07

Post by Rountree »

With just over 3 weeks to go before the CATT on February 24th we have an updated field for both the Varsity and Junior Varsity divisions.

Varsity - 17
Brookwood - 2
Central Gwinnett - 1
Collins Hill - 1
Dorman - 2
Dunwoody - 1
Etowah - 2
Grayson - 1
Heritage - 1
James Island - 1
Northgate - 1
Roswell - 1
Sequoyah - 1
South Gwinnett - 1
Walton - 1

JV - 15
Brookwood - 2
Central Gwinnett - 2
Collins Hill - 1
Dorman - 1
Dunwoody - 1
Grayson - 2
James Island - 1
Northgate - 1
River Trail - 1
Roswell - 1
Sequoyah - 1
Walton - 1

We are capping each division at a multiple of 6 so as to avoid byes (each team plays 5 preliminary matches). Our goal is to have 36 teams in each division, so we still have spots left. However, we may have to cap each division at 24 or 30 teams. The spots remaining will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis.

See you on the 24th.

Thanks!
Rountree
Rikku

FIELD UPDATE - CHS CATT 2/24/07

Post by Rountree »

With less than a week to go before the tournament, here is how the fields look for the Varsity and JV Divisions.

Varsity - 27
Alpharetta - 1
Baconton Charter - 1
Brookwood - 2
Central Gwinnett - 1
Cherokee - 1
Collins Hill - 1
Crescent - 1
Dorman - 2
Duluth - 1
Dunwoody - 1
Eastside - 1
Etowah - 2
Grayson - 1
Heritage - 1
James Island - 1
Kennesaw Mt. - 1
LAMP - 1
Norcross - 2
Northgate - 1
Roswell - 1
Sequoyah - 1
South Gwinnett - 1
Walton - 1

JV - 20
Alpharetta - 1
Brookwood - 2
Central Gwinnett - 2
CHS Freshmen - 1
Collins Hill - 1
Crescent - 1
Dorman - 1
Dunwoody - 1
Grayson - 2
LAMP - 1
Norcross - 2
Northgate - 1
River Trail MS - 1
Roswell - 1
Seqouyah - 1
Walton - 1

We have capped the Varsity Division at 30 teams and the JV at 24, which means we have room for about 7 more teams. Please contact me ASAP if you are interested.

See you this Saturday, the 24th!
foxhound_GR
Lulu

CHS tourney

Post by foxhound_GR »

good tourney guys, the final's questions were crazy. in the consolation round, the score was 20-10 after the quarter
Socrates' last words --- " I have to drink what?"
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I know that Dorman-A was set to play Dorman-B for the Varsity championship. Brookwood-A beat James Island for third place.

Brookwood-A beat Norcross-A for the JV division championship.
foxhound_GR
Lulu

Questions

Post by foxhound_GR »

To the coach of Chatahoochee

Did you guys write ALL your questions?
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

In the J.V. division, Walton took 3rd place by beating Central Gwinnett on a tiebreaker question in the consolation round.

Has anyone heard yet whether Dorman A or Dorman B won the Varsity division?
foxhound_GR
Lulu

Post by foxhound_GR »

Wouldnt be surprised if Dorman B beats Dorman A, they have so much depth in their ranks. Is it true they have Academic bowl classes? or "research" classes? Or is that some myth
krazydragon
Lulu

Post by krazydragon »

Dorman A won 280 - 240 against Dorman B in the finals

It came down to the last 2 questions.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I know there are several teams that have classes for quiz bowl. I don't know if Eric's bunch are one of the though
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Dorman is an example of what just about any school can do with quiz bowl when the school administration is sold out to it and you have a super coach.
Rountree
Rikku

CATT Questions

Post by Rountree »

It has come to my attention that some of the questions at last weekend's CATT were possibly plagiarized, either in pieces or completely.

First, let me make one thing clear: the Chattahoochee Academic Team did NOT write any of the questions for the the tournament. Our team only wrote the worksheets, which are apparently not the problem. The entire lot of questions was outsourced to some current college students. We received the final few rounds on the Friday before the tournament, and, therefore, did not have time to check whether the questions were "clean" or not. Obviously, our trust was misplaced, and we are sorry for any frustration or unfairness this caused; that was not our intent.

Second, we are equally as hurt and angry as some of you are. At this time we will not release the name(s) of those responsible. However, we are going to continue to investigate the matter.

Again, please accept our sincerest apologies.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

jrbarry wrote:Dorman is an example of what just about any school can do with quiz bowl when the school administration is sold out to it and you have a super coach.
I have to totally agree with this, Eric has done an awesome job with his group and on top of that is a great guy to talk to in person. Once you get the administration on your side you can start to have things happen..
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

I agree that any team can be good with a devoted coach. However, I would love to know Dorman's "secret" as to how they ring in so fast. My team practices alot, studies quite a bit, has knowledge at least close to as extensive as Dorman (I believe), but can't seem to beat them at the buzzers. Dorman's players always seem to have perfect synchronization between brain and buzzer!
Rountree
Rikku

RESULTS from the CHS CATT - 2/24/07

Post by Rountree »

This weekend we had over 45 teams compete in the 2nd annual CATT at Chattahoochee HS. Thanks to everyone for coming. We hope to see you next year.

Final Standings in the Varsity Division:
1. Dorman A
2. Dorman B
3. Brookwood A
4. James Island

Final Standings in the JV Division:
1. Brookwood A
2. Norcross
3. Walton
4. Central Gwinnett A

Congratulations to all these teams for their fine performances!

Thanks again!
foxhound_GR
Lulu

Post by foxhound_GR »

Enjoyed the tourney very much, good job CHatahoochee, looking forward to playing you guys at State, are you guys going to OLA?