Announcement: 2007 NAQT Canadian Sectional @ Brock 2/10/07

Old college threads.
Andy Saunders
Lulu

Announcement: 2007 NAQT Canadian Sectional @ Brock 2/10/07

Post by Andy Saunders »

Brock Trivia is proud to announce that it is hosting the NAQT Canadian Sectional on February 10, 2007. The event will take place on our main St. Catharines, Ontario campus, at a site to be determined.

The event will be run similar to prior Canadian SCTs, with round-robin(s) and re-bracketing, as entries permit.

Fees:

Base Fee: $120 for the first team, $100 for the 2nd (and subsequent)
Experienced staffperson: $20 discount, per staffperson that meets the experience guidelines as per http://www.naqt.com/staff.html - If a team has 5 players and is willing to rotate scorekeepers, it can claim a $10 discount.
Working buzzer system: $20 per. The first system from a school will be used for discount purposes before second (and third) systems from other schools will be used.
Working competition clock: $10 per (that we require the use of).
Traveling from greater than 200 kilometers away driving (about 125 miles) - $10 (London will be considered greater than 200 kilometers)
Traveling from greater than 400 kilometers away driving (about 250 miles) - $20 (Pittsburgh will be considered greater than 400 kilomters)
"Newbie" discount (your program has not competed in or hosted Sectionals in 2005 or 2006) - $40
Minimum fee: $60 per team.

Hotel recommendation:
While Brock Trivia does not have a deal with any specific hotel, we have received numerous positive reviews about the Knights Inn St. Catharines (http://knightsinn-stcatharines.ca/), located around the corner from the St. Catharines bus terminal. A 2 double bed room is $89 Canadian a night. Additionally, there are a number of hotels in the Niagara Falls area, suiting a wide variety of price ranges. Niagara Falls is located less than 30 minutes from the Brock campus.

Contact: To enter the tournament, or if you have any questions, please contact Andy Saunders, at either [email protected] or [email protected].

Hope to see you in St. Catharines on the 10th of February!

Andy Saunders
President, Brock Trivia
[email protected]
Andy Saunders
Lulu

Update #1

Post by Andy Saunders »

As a reminder, entries must be received by me no later than February 3rd, 2007. There is no guarantee that we will be able to provide space for your team in the tournament after that date.

Currently confirmed as attending:

Ottawa (1 Division 1 team, 0 Division 2 teams)
McMaster (0 D1, 3 D2)
Toronto (1 D1, 3 D2)
McGill (# to be confirmed)
Rochester (# to be confirmed)
Wilfrid Laurier (# to be confirmed)
Queen's (Division 1 - Jordan Palmer)

Probably attending:

University of Waterloo

If the above list is incorrect, please let me know as soon as possible.

Format: At the moment, we could have as many as 4 Division 1 teams confirmed and 14 in Division 2. Of course, I can not finalize a schedule until after the registration deadline has passed. However, I can say with all likelihood that we will have a multiple round-robin in Division 1 and either a pooled round-robin followed by re-bracketing, or a straight round-robin (depending on numbers) in Division 2. Each team will be guaranteed at least 10 games.

Schedule: I will be polling the currently confirmed and probable teams over the next week to determine the preferred starting time for the tournament. All teams should keep in mind, though, that NAQT policy dictates that the tournament must end by 8:00 PM on Saturday, and that some schools do have a six hour drive ahead of them post-tournament.

Location: While the rooms have not yet been confirmed, it is likely that we will, once again, be in East Academic section of Brock's campus. I will provide specific directions to East Academic once the rooms have been confirmed. I should also point out that East Academic is much easier to find than Mackenzie Chown Complex.

Included meals: Lunch will be provided for full-time staff.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Start at 9. Allowing lunch and 25 minutes per round, you should have fifteen rounds done by 5. Just keep the playing rooms reasonably close together, and have a single person pick up every scoresheet and hand off the next packet (helps to avoid losing things and picking up the wrong packet from the main room).
Andy Saunders
Lulu

Field Update

Post by Andy Saunders »

The following teams are registered:

Ottawa (1 Division 1, 1 buzzer, 10 clocks)
McMaster (3 Division 2, 1 buzzer)
Toronto (1 Division 1, 2 Division 2, 3 buzzers, 1 clock, 1 moderator)
McGill (1 Division 1, 2 Division 2, 1 buzzer)
Wilfrid Laurier (2 Division 2, 1 buzzer, 2 rotating scorekeepers)
Queen's (1 Division 1)
Simon Fraser (1 Division 1)
Minnesota (1 Division 1, 1 Division 2)
Cornell (1 Division 1, 2 Division 2)
Rochester (3 Division 2, 1 buzzer, unconfirmed)
Waterloo (1 Division 2, 1 buzzer, unconfirmed)

This puts us at 7 Division 1, 16 Division 2.

At the moment, we have 10 buzzer systems (including Brock's). While Brock can procure extra systems, I would like to avoid doing so if we can get them from the teams. If your team has a working buzzer system and has not let us know that you're bringing it, please let us know.

In terms of clocks, between Ottawa's, Toronto's, and Brock's house clock, we may run short of clocks if we get any more entries. If your team has a clock and plans on bringing it, please let me know.

Here's our biggest problem: At the moment, we have 5 persons, who are, in my opinion, experienced enough to handle NAQT moderating duties. Teams, if you have moderators, please let me know so that I can plan for them. If you are an experienced moderator available on February 10th, I will be willing to feed you and find a billeter for you if you require it.

Start time: Due to the increased field, we will be starting at 9:00 AM. Registration will be from 8:00 to 8:40, with the mandatory players' meeting shortly thereafter.

If you still want to register: Contact me at either [email protected] or [email protected] to do so. Registration deadline is February 3rd; if you do plan on coming, let me know sooner rather than later so that I can plan for your attendance.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I'll gladly chip in money for extra readers to come by. I'd rather help cover a good reader's dinner than deal with 10 rounds of student federation executives (no offense to the skills of the execs, of course).

So readers, please drop by. Niagara Falls is a great tourist area for the Sunday, even though it's winter.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

I know I'm just a dumb Virginian talking here, but as a point of inquiry, if Simon Fraser goes to this sectional, will there be anybody left to play at the UBC sectional?
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Since UBC sent 3 teams to SFU's sectional last ear, is it possibel that UBC will just put a bunch of "teams" of itself together and play for the auto-bid and host bid? As Matt noted, if SFU is going to this sectional, isn't the UBC sectional vestigial?
Andy Saunders
Lulu

Post by Andy Saunders »

I should point out that as far as I can tell, Simon Fraser is one Simon Fraser student that happens to be in Ottawa at the present time.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Do you happen to know the UBC field? Will it basically be a UBC circle jerk?
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Rothlover wrote:Do you happen to know the UBC field? Will it basically be a UBC circle jerk?
If you want to know the current PNW Sectional field, and other information about that tournament, you could e-mail Mike Whitaker at mwhitake -at- interchange -dot- ubc -dot- ca.

Best of luck to everyone playing Sectionals.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Briefly:

DI Overall (9 teams): U. of Toronto
DI Undergrad (3 teams): U. of Ottawa
DII (16 teams): U. of Toronto
Andy Saunders
Lulu

Post by Andy Saunders »

One correction:

D2 had 15 teams.

Full results, stats, gratitudes, etc. to come soon.
Andy Saunders
Lulu

Post by Andy Saunders »

Congratulations to the University of Toronto, whose teams won both divisions at the 2007 NAQT Canadian Sectional at Brock University on Saturday. All in all, 9 Division 1 teams and 15 Division 2 teams, representing 11 different schools, competed, making this the largest quiz bowl tournament ever held on Canadian soil.

In Division 1, Toronto was 12-2, while Cornell finished at 10-4. Third place went to Rochester at 7-7. Ottawa claimed the Division 1 Undergraduate title by finishing 4th.

In Division 2, Toronto A went undefeated at 14-0. While Minnesota and McGill finished with identical 11-3 records, Minnesota claims 2nd due to more points per tossup heard.

Full Division 1 standings can be found at http://www.andysthoughts.com/NAQT2007/N ... dings.html ; and full Division 2 standings can be found at http://www.andysthoughts.com/NAQT2007/N ... dings.html .

At this point I would like to thank all 24 teams that came out today to participate, as well as our moderators and staffpeople: Zhan Zhou, Elizabeth Hobbs, Rico Catibog, Jordan Stopciati, Fraser Simpson, Lauren Peters, Neil Walford, Rebecca Golden, Julie Stahlhut, Peter McCorquodale, Sean Norman, Sheryl Huff, Tony Matthews, Alisa Lacaria, Patrick Reuvekamp, and Aarika Black.

I'd also like to thank NAQT for putting together an excellent packet set for the event.

Also, if I owe you something, or you owe me something, I'll be in touch with you in the next day or so.

Once again, thanks for attending, and I'll hopefully see you at Brock's next tournament!
adg1034
Lulu

Post by adg1034 »

Even though my team didn't attend this tournament, I need to congratulate Andrew Hart (TheMoMA) for being top individual scorer in DII. Very impressive.
Andrew Guyton
Macalester College (formerly of Chaska High School, MN)