Chicago
60%
Some other place
12%

Total votes: 42

Andy Saunders
Lulu

Post by Andy Saunders »

I would say that Ontario has a much better chance of hosting a TRASHionals than an ICT.
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

As disappointed as I am by the location of the ICT, I think I should point out that there are ultracheap fares to Minnesota from a handful of Midwestern cities on the Megabus.
trphilli
Lulu

Post by trphilli »

myamphigory wrote:As disappointed as I am by the location of the ICT, I think I should point out that there are ultracheap fares to Minnesota from a handful of Midwestern cities on the Megabus.
While this is true, there are a few caveats from my experience riding with this company.

1. Megabus is worse than the airlines in gouging you for short-notice travel, so book well in advance. Cancellation policy is credit for future megabus travel w/in one year.

2. Customer service is minimal. Your lucky if a rep is at the pick-up site 1/2 hour early, although all they'll tell you is bus arrives when it arrives. Also their boarding process is chaos.

3. Their schedules are unrealistic. They are based on simply distance with no allowance for getting stuck in traffic. Good luck making a tight connection in Chicago. Also, during a layover, Union Station posted nasty signs saying don't wait inside the station.

4. The buses I rode on were not in very good condition.

In my opinion, Megabus involves a lot of hassle for relatively little savings unless you get one of the earliest tickets. Albeit, my value proposition is different now that I am no longer in school, but it is something to consider.
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Sorry you had such a bad experience. It doesn't really jibe with my experiences with Megabus at all, but I guess one's mileage may vary. FWIW, the first point seems pretty silly to me (the "gouging" I encountered when I had to change my departure time with twelve hours' notice was to the tune of $8), I don't expect a lot of customer service from a cut-rate bus line, the buses I've met and taken have arrived on time or early, and they seemed like normal coach buses to me. I completely understand that many people will not be interested in riding the bus to Minneapolis (and dealing with getting around Minneapolis with no form of transit once they arrive), but it is a cheap option.

Also, the "no waiting in Union Station" business seems not to be enforced, especially if you patronize Union Station businesses while you wait.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

grapesmoker wrote:
Kentb426 wrote:I would love to go to Toronto again. I was there a few years ago for a week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hmm... Vegas would be interesting as well.... more interesting for some than others, I suppose.
Vegas would certainly be an interesting location. It's definitely very accessible in terms of price. Getting rooms would be a challenge, but didn't TRASH have a Vegas tournament or something?
Aye, I believe they did. Then again, I don't know how Viva Trash Vegas went, but I presume if there were enough interest, the flights are cheap, the hotel rooms plentiful, and the entertainment options ... well ...
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

And yes, I agree Ontario has a better chance to host TRASHionals than ICT. Then again, TRASH doesn't seem to have issues finding hosts as much as NAQT does, but that just may be public impression.