Jeopardy! Teen Tournament

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Jeopardy! Teen Tournament

Post by wd4gdz »

Anybody on the Jeopardy! teen tournament active in quizbowl?
Byko
Yuna

Re: Jeopardy! Teen Tournament

Post by Byko »

wd4gdz wrote:Anybody on the Jeopardy! teen tournament active in quizbowl?
Ben Schenkel from Moravian (PA) will be on this Wednesday. He was an all-star (#14 individual scorer) at HSNCT last year.
mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

Aiken's Amy Varallo travels to LA on March 10th for Jeopardy competition to be aired in July. Is this new? I didn't know that there was more than one teen tournament.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Yeah, they're doing two this year, towards the bookends, I think.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Ben from Moravian got 3rd after blanking on Moby Dick in Final Jeopardy. I think they're having a wild card game though, se he may still make it to the semis. I could be wrong though.

Is he the only quiz bowler who made it?
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I knew I recognized him from nationals. I was thinking Shady Side, though. Eh, at least I had the right state.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:Ben from Moravian got 3rd after blanking on Moby Dick in Final Jeopardy. I think they're having a wild card game though, se he may still make it to the semis. I could be wrong though.

Top 4 non-winners (wildcards) make it in. Ben's guaranteed a spot.
NotTheGoose
Kimahri

Post by NotTheGoose »

Well, it all depends on how future non-winners fare. Someone can oust him from his slot.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Not with just one game left and a maximum of two people to overtake him; he's first or second in wildcard standings.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

he was first
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:Ben from Moravian got 3rd after blanking on Moby Dick in Final Jeopardy. I think they're having a wild card game though, se he may still make it to the semis. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure I would call his answer "blanking". If you keyed in on "wrecked" then Robinsoe Crusoe was tempting. If you focused on "whaling ship" then Moby Dick was the choice.

Moravian's team won the varsity division of the Delaware Fall Open, with Ben in the captain's chair. He told me he had made it that day.

I don't know about the other 13, but I can tell you David from Wilmington Friends is not a quizbowler. Friends does not even have a team, and does not do Delaware Comcast tournament. Charter had 3 in the pool, but alas none were picked. We got our revenge when an unhappy David finished second at the WorldQuest competition a few weeks ago.

For a broader topic of conversation: does anyone else think Jeopardy is shying away from quizbowlers since Ken Jennings' success?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I've always told people who try out for Jeopardy!: it is a casting call. It's not merit-based. It's a question of who the producers think look good on camera and can carry themselves as likeable competitors to an audience. I doubt that they are deliberately avoiding qb players; they know they're out there, and they have recruited people who compete at qb the last few times. However, playing qb is not sufficient to get recalled onto the show.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I disagree with the avoiding. But I do think that its about who they think will work well on TV. I mean, if you were a casting director, would you pick a genius who, albeit smart, might faint on TV. Granted, there's a ridiculous amount of luck and/or personality going into the choice, but discounting merit completely is unfair to the process. I mean, in order to be eligible, you have to take a test which is reasonably hard to pass.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Good point. I should say "it's not completely merit-based."
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
UERD
Lulu

Post by UERD »

Well, remember that a lot of people at home like to follow along with the questions and 'play along'. If Jeopardy takes the top merit-qualified candidates that also fulfill the other criteria (e.g. telegenic nature, personality, appearance, demographics), people would not drop any questions, people would answer all the questions very quickly and not get many questions wrong.

Jeopardy takes a variety of people (who are at least qualified by the test) in terms of merit, because they want to make it interesting. They want people who will answer many questions successfully, people who will miss questions, people who the audience can relate to on an intellectual/knowledge level, etc.

(At least this is how I see it...if anyone can correct me with a better explanation I would greatly appreciate it.)
看!别人不懂的汉子!
What if [the chair] was propelled by love, which has manifested itself into the shape of a limb?
- lefsaidfred
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Stat74 wrote:

I'm not sure I would call his answer "blanking". If you keyed in on "wrecked" then Robinsoe Crusoe was tempting. If you focused on "whaling ship" then Moby Dick was the choice.
I admit that, at first, I was thinking Robinson Crusoe, but then, 2 things popped into my head that made me change my answer: 1) It said whale ship and 2) Robinson Crusoe is believed to be largely based on Alexander Selkirk and his sailing mishap.

I've never been on the show though, so I can't say what I'd have done.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

UERD:
Jeopardy does want a variety, but the test doesn't provide for it. Most people have a problem with the timing issues of the test. Only the people who can digest the information quickly enough can pass the test. I think they said the average score with the time limit is like a 25 and the average score with 2 seconds more per question is like a 35. Something like that. The nature of the tryouts is such that the people who pass will be quick thinking and smart. And as far as missing questions, that's close to impossible to figure out. Like I had a horrible accuracy level on the show, but in tryouts I didn't miss any questions, and I believe I got a 49 on the test. Just goes to prove, while they look for variety, it's ridiculously hard to find.
UERD
Lulu

Post by UERD »

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I know a bunch of people who went to audition, but I've never done it myself (closest I came was taking the written test at HSNCT once).
看!别人不懂的汉子!
What if [the chair] was propelled by love, which has manifested itself into the shape of a limb?
- lefsaidfred
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

mhanna wrote:Aiken's Amy Varallo travels to LA on March 10th for Jeopardy competition to be aired in July. Is this new? I didn't know that there was more than one teen tournament.
They just announced on tonight's Jeopardy that they will be having this year, for the first time, a second teen tournament that will air in July. So I'm thinking she's part of that. Congratulations to her!
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Interesting... so both teen champs make it to the ToC?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Nah, teen champs haven't been in the ToC for years, unfortunately.
mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

Amy told me that she will get a guaranteed appearance fee but that teens no longer participate in the TOC.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

They told me that I could go to the ToC, but so far I haven't heard anything.
square634
Lulu

Post by square634 »

Kriti Gandhi from Centennial is going to be taping in March.