Announcement: NAQT Northeast SCT at Harvard (2/10/07)

Old college threads.
Kyle
Auron

Announcement: NAQT Northeast SCT at Harvard (2/10/07)

Post by Kyle »

After a relaxing winter break away from my computer, I'm finally announcing the NAQT Northeast Sectional Championship Tournament at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) on Saturday, February 10.

The SCT entry fee will be $120 for the first team from a school and $100 for each subsequent team. We also offer the following discounts:
- $20 for each competent full-time official provided by the school
- $5 for a working buzzer system
- $40 for a "new school" (defined by NAQT as teams from a team is from a school that has neither competed in nor hosted a Sectional in the last two years)

Please register by emailing me at kfonda [at] fas [dot] harvard [dot] edu. When you register, please declare your team's eligibility for Division 1 or Division 2 per NAQT's rules.

We're planning on having enough staff to run 8 rooms (last year's northeast sectional at Yale used 7). If we get more than 16 teams, that's great, but at least one of the additional teams is going to need to come with some staff to help us out.

I hope to see all of you from the New York / New England area up at Harvard in February. Good luck to all your teams regardless of which sectional you attend and we'll see you at the ICT.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Here are some specifics for the SCT at Harvard on February 10, 2007.

Time:

9:00 Registration
9:15 NAQT-mandatory players' meeting
9:30 Start

With timed rounds and a short lunch break, I think we can get the tournament over by a very reasonable hour. For lunch, I have a list of cheap places to eat in Harvard Square that I'll give out to you when you register.

The entire tournament is going to take place on the first floor of Sever Hall. Note that we have held three college tournaments over the last two years and have held them in three different buildings. Anyway, these should be the best rooms we've had. I'll send out a map to participating teams by email, but Sever is the largest classroom building right on Harvard Yard. Registration will probably be in Sever 112, but there will be signs and/or a freshman standing at the door in the blue, pink, yellow, and purple sombrero that I won at the MIT tournament last year.

Parking:

For those of you who are driving, you should probably park in one of the Harvard visitor lots. I have the password for getting the $5 parking sticker online and will email it to those of you who are coming.

Field:

Div. I:

Middlesex (a.k.a. Dan Passner)
Brown

Div. II:

Dartmouth (2)
Brown
Harvard

One or the other (i.e. didn't tell me):

Rutgers-Newark

If I missed anyone, I apologize. Please email me. And if you're from around Boston...email me and register! I expect the size of the field to increase considerably in the next week. I hope.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

This is the saddest field ever. You're going down, Passner.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Are the options D2 q's or me vs. you+teammates for 15 rounds on D1? I'm guessing a bunch of teams just haven't replied yet? BU? NYU? I know 'Deis is sending some D2.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Not to worry: our Div. I field has doubled since I last posted.

Field update:

Div. I:

Brown
Middlesex
Williams (UG)
Yale

Div. II:

Brown
Dartmouth (2)
Harvard
Olin (1-2)
Rutgers-Newark
Yale (1-2)

---

Amherst? BU? Brandeis? Columbia? NYU?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Quintuple round-robin!
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

With one week to go, a new field update. Good news, Jerry: the round robin won't quite have to be quintuple. This is, incidentally, a perfect number of teams as far as we're concerned. If you want to bring another team, then email me ASAP and tell me you're bringing a moderator or scorekeeper as well (see my first email). All of the information about time and place above is still correct. Please email me with any questions at kfonda [at] fas [dot] harvard [dot] edu. I look forward to seeing you all next week.

Div. I (7 teams):

Amherst (UG)
Boston University (UG)
Brown
Columbia (1 UG)
Middlesex
Williams (UG)
Yale

Div. II (11 teams):

Boston College
Brandeis
Brown
Dartmouth (2)
Harvard
Olin (2)
Rutgers-Newark
Yale (2)
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

I confused myself. It's eight teams in division I because it should read:

Columbia (2, 1 is UG)
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Final Field Update:

Div. I (7 teams):

Amherst (UG)
Boston University (UG)
Brown
Columbia (UG)
Middlesex
Williams (UG)
Yale

Div. II (11 teams):

Boston College
Brandeis
Brown
Dartmouth (2)
Harvard
MIT
Olin
Rutgers-Newark
Yale (2)

Final Logistical Information:

Meet in Sever Hall 112 (map to be sent by email).

9:00 Registration
9:15 Player meeting (and simultaneous moderator meeting)
9:30 Games start

Please try to be on time. If you're going to be late, call me at the cell phone number I'll send out over email.

I continue to recommend either taking the T to the Harvard stop or parking in the Littauer Parking Lot for $5. I'll email you all the password for the parking site again.

The formats will follow NAQT's suggested formats, which is to say a double round-robin for Division I and a round-robin-plus set-up for Division II. There will be 14 rounds (12 games for each team). That's a lot of rounds, so come on time and play fast!

Please email me with questions or concerns at kfonda [at] fas [dot] harvard [dot] edu. Thanks and I look forward to seeing you all at what should be a very exciting tournament on Saturday.

Kyle
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Quick results, which will likely soon be improved upon by Kyle:

DI: Brown A (Jerry, Eric, Marko) went undefeated for the DI title, with Amherst being the top undergrad team. Top individual scorer was Mike from Yale, at about 95 PPG, with Jerry second at 92 or so, and the top undergraduate was Jack from BU at 43, I think.

DII: MIT edged Dartmouth A for the DII crown, with Yale B's Mike B being the top scorer.

Also, a note: both fields were slighly diminished, with Williams and Middlesex (Dan Passner) in DI and Rutgers-Newark in DII not showing.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Everything Evan posted was correct. I have the stats, but my computer literacy stops short of knowing how to put them online. Dennis will have them up as soon as possible. In the meantime, thanks a lot to everyone who played or staffed today and best of luck at the ICT for those favored by the secret formula.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Kyle, e-mail them to me, Matt Jerry or anyone and we can find some webspace to host it.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Stats:

Division I triple round-robin:
http://free.9cy.net/sct-div1

Division II round-robin:
http://free.9cy.net/sct-div2

Division II playoff stats to follow soon; they got lost in the shuffle.
Andy Saunders
Lulu

Post by Andy Saunders »

Are these stats off, or did Rudy go completely nuts this game?

MIT 295, Olin 135
Olin: Leslie 0 0 0 0, Molly 0 1 1 5, Adam 0 3 0 30, Doug 1 0 0 15, Jeff 0 1 1 5
MIT: Rudy 10 0 0 150, Sam 0 0 0 0, John 0 0 0 0, Jeb 0 0 0 0
Bonuses: Olin 6 80 13.33, MIT 10 145 14.50
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

that's some kind of record...
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm going to go ahead and assume that's a little bit of an error, dude.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Yeah, me too. The score sheets are sitting on my table and I'll figure it out after classes today. Sorry for the mistake and thanks for pointing it out.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

This should be more realistic:

MIT 295, Olin 135
Olin: Leslie 0 0 0 0, Molly 0 1 1 5, Adam 0 3 0 30, Doug 1 0 0 15, Jeff 0 1 1 5
MIT: Rudy 0 1 0 10, Sam 1 3 1 40, John 0 2 1 15, Jeb 0 5 0 50
Bonuses: Olin 6 80 13.33, MIT 12 180 15.00
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Kyle, any stats for the playoff rounds yet?