mujason
Wakka

Consolidated College Bowl results thread

Post by mujason »

1. Mizzou
2. Truman State
3. Washington University St. Louis
4. Kansas State

Leading scorer was yours truly with 100 PPG.

Jason Mueller
(LA-bound Mizzou captain)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Please contain all results and discussion for College Bowl, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, the national Trivial Pursuit convention, local games of bar trivia, responses to obnoxious co-workers who start conversations with the phrase "pop quiz, hotshot!", and other things whose only connection to quizbowl tournaments is the presence of questions and answers, to this thread. Discussion of actual quizbowl shall continue as normal on the rest of the board.

Also I want everyone to know that I scored 5 million PPG playing in a review game for Mrs. Thompson's fourth-grade social studies test at an area elementary school.
Last edited by Matt Weiner on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

What's CBI?
Rothlover
Yuna

Re: Consolidated College Bowl results thread

Post by Rothlover »

mujason wrote:1. Mizzou
2. Truman State
4. Kansas State

Jason Mueller
Worst. Phoenix. Ever.
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

I know CBI should stand for crappy bull**** inc, (or worse, :chip: inc, but as the Steinhice Corollary says, bad questions are better than no questions.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Region 6:

Final Results:

1) Florida
2) Georgia
3) Florida State
4) West Florida

Florida, the #4 seed after the RR, won after beating UGA twice in a row.

CBI sucks.

Edited: too slow Raj
Last edited by wd4gdz on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

[Simultaneous and now irrelevant post -- please delete]
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

mujason wrote:I know CBI should stand for crappy bull**** inc, (or worse, :chip: inc, but as the Steinhice Corollary says, bad questions are better than no questions.
Can you give us a more detailed recap? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on particular answer selection. What were your favorite q's, and what did you get that made you feel oh so dirty. Did you really stomp anyone? How were your teammates? Did you find any objectionable characters at the event? Pray, tell.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Rothlover wrote: Can you give us a more detailed recap? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on particular answer selection. What were your favorite q's, and what did you get that made you feel oh so dirty. Did you really stomp anyone? How were your teammates? Did you find any objectionable characters at the event? Pray, tell.
FWIW, I think some of those tournaments are finishing up on Sunday, so any tales of Jason's best buzzes should wait until tomorrow evening.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Region 10:

1. Minnesota (10-0 double RR, 3-0 playoffs)
2. Macalester (8-2, 2-2)
3. Iowa State (5-5, 1-2)
4. South Dakota (4-6, 0-2)
CBI sucks.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Results from Hamline:
1- Minnesota
2- Macalaster

I LOVE DOUBLE POSTS
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

<shrugs> I enjoyed it. Then again, I also enjoyed :chip: 's tournament. So go figure.

Congrats to Florida and everyone else who won.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

http://www.collegebowl.com/rct/2007results.asp has top 4 for most tournaments.

Teams that are going to LA: Williams College, Seton Hall [didn't make playoffs of combined-region field], UMBC, Southern Virginia, The Ohio State University, Illinois, Northwestern, Missouri, Baylor, New Mexico, U-Washington [we shall kill them and steal their identities] and Southern Cal [home team gets to play].
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

This is fucking ridiculous. A format shouldn't be relegated to one thread -- especially when we allow multiple threads for ACF and NAQT regionals -- just because the admin has a grudge against them. This is just blatant unprofessionalism, especially on a site trying to be a kind of official forum for quizbowl.

And I say this as the man who deaffiliated Chicago from CBI.

On a side note, how long has Mueller been back at Missouri? Has he played any other tournaments?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Nope, he enrolled this semester in the grad program and I guess that means we will see him at more tournies as well ... not sure.

I don´t personally like CBI questions but I play it anyway and it is at least some form of quiz bowl .... albeit not the most ..mmm ¨academically stimulating?¨

As for having one thread.... eh ... whatever.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
The Time Keeper
Auron

If enough people were present to discuss the events of their individual regions in-depth no admin on this board would have a problem with regional CBI threads.

No one is stopping people who want to post about CBI from, you know, posting about CBI.
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

Actually, I've been in the grad program at Mizzou for economics since fall and should have my MA in December. As for my playing in other tournaments, that didn't happen as the club (that did the non-CBI events) died in the year I took off from school between undergrad and grad school (and the fact that I'm a poor college student without a car). Ironic, as most people thought that I was killing the club when in fact what killed the club was my (what turned out to be temporary) departure. Also, as an NAQT writer, I'm pretty much off limits to a fair number of tournaments.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Dolemite wrote:No one is stopping people who want to post about CBI from, you know, posting about CBI.
Does anybody (other than Jason "100 ppg" Mueller) really want to post about CBI here? There's just not that much to discuss that hasn't been 100 times already. This thread should be good enough.

Edit: I lied, I had one thing to suggest. A team that doesn't make the playoffs shouldn't make Nationals, CBI or not. If two regions have to combine fields due to lack of interest (I assume), they should send one team. That is all.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

CBI qualification procedure not entirely fair?! "Fucking ridiculous."

MaS
Professional Moderator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Bruce wrote:This is fucking ridiculous. A format shouldn't be relegated to one thread -- especially when we allow multiple threads for ACF and NAQT regionals -- just because the admin has a grudge against them. This is just blatant unprofessionalism, especially on a site trying to be a kind of official forum for quizbowl.
Historically, CBI threads haven't been the most active. They typically receive significantly less posts than threads on NAQT and ACF events. If a certain topic picks up momentum, I or another moderator or administrator would be more than happy to split the topic to allow this thread to continue focusing on CBI sectionals in general.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:
Dolemite wrote:No one is stopping people who want to post about CBI from, you know, posting about CBI.
Does anybody (other than Jason "100 ppg" Mueller) really want to post about CBI here? There's just not that much to discuss that hasn't been 100 times already. This thread should be good enough.

Edit: I lied, I had one thing to suggest. A team that doesn't make the playoffs shouldn't make Nationals, CBI or not. If two regions have to combine fields due to lack of interest (I assume), they should send one team. That is all.
Yeah that is pretty wack they ought to just have 8 regions and send the top two from each to nationals (or have every tournament cover 2 regions), therefore cutting out the allegedly biased wild card.

HA ha, the William & Mary team didn't even finish in the top 4, yay. If they had gone to a national tournament while the Quizbowl Club stays at home, I'd a had to buss a cap on someone
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Bruce, we established in the last several College Bowl threads that we can't apply such standards as "having actual facts in the questions" or "writing questions on things people care about" or "having a distribution" or "not recycling questions from previous years" or "not pre-determining match outcomes before the teams arrive" or "writing questions according to any standard of quality whatsoever" to College Bowl. As the College Bowl toadies informed me, doing so would be to impose my personal arbitrary vision onto a format that has no reason to conform to the quizbowl circuit's standards. They also informed me that College Bowl is not made for quizbowl players, but rather for hungover frat guys who love answering tossups on "the United States of America" at intramurals. College Bowl has made it explicitly clear that they are not a quizbowl company, so I'm just going along with what I've been told and keeping such an off-topic phenomenon from being discussed in the quizbowl forum. Even being here in "Announcements & Results" rather than "Off-Topic" is a privilege.

The College Bowl toadies also let me know that there is no objective standard by which to judge anything, least of all whether tossups on "altoids" whose first words are "this peppermint-flavored mint" are or are not appropriate questions for a national championship final. Since everything is relative and there are no facts or values, just opinions, you have no basis on which to condemn the roping-off of College Bowl discussion on this board. Again, I'm just going along with what the College Bowl employees have said--you should be thankful that I'm working with them so enthusiastically!
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
canaanbananarama
Wakka

Post by canaanbananarama »

Wow, congrats on the triple digits figure. Could I trouble you to drop Mjollnir long enough to airmail a lock of your divine Nordic hair to Sana'a to highlight my great moments in CBI history shrine? It'll go great between my copy of William Shatner theatrically reciting Richard's Reid famous Auburn-Montgomery speech in Esperanto and my 3 by 3 feet diorama of the CBI hot-tub party mentioned in the Pat Moonen Spokesperson Award winner speech in that same year.

All seriousness aside, I have to express my utter disappointment in my former club, though wouldn't it be like the awesomest CBI storyline ever to have UCLA playing USC at CBI Nationals at USC? The fans would love it. Congratulations to the three regular quiz bowl teams in that Southeast regional for wrestling that mighty python known as Valdosta State to the ground. I'm sure Ice Cube and Jennifer Lopez are proud, Florida. Florida will win Nationals, as a Minnesota victory would cause CBI to erase UCLA from the recordbooks so the mighty heralds of Minnesota quizbowl could trumpet themselves as three-time defending champs. And Illinois is irrelevant, since my CBI experience has taught me that Scott Green probably can't even spell champion, let alone be one. USC can be beaten, anybody who wants to know how, let me know.

Charles Meigs
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

canaanbananarama wrote:Congratulations to the three regular quiz bowl teams in that Southeast regional for wrestling that mighty python known as Valdosta State to the ground.
The mighty python didn't show up.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Charles,

We humbly apologize for our inability to match Yogesh's psychic abilities, which must have been heightened by the beverages well past their sell-by date we had at lunch, since in our morning match disbelief that a question could start "This most important book in Arabic" overruled everyone's ability to buzz. In the first half of the finals we were adversely affected by a staff error and subsequent ruling based on an unwritten procedure (although in no part due to Ron, whom you know to be a fine human being and the rest of the country should know as one of the only ardent CBI supporters who will defend the existence of other formats), and in true Jon Pennington fashion, I completely lost focus for the next several questions.

My ship is leaking.

Dwight
adg1034
Lulu

Post by adg1034 »

And now the stat packages are up. Congrats to Minnesota for winning Region 10 (and, though we may not have directly competed, to the rest of you regional champs).

Also, the bid acceptance form could be misleading to teams who aren't that familiar with the CB rules: "TO ALL TEAMS ADVANCING TO THE NCT (Champions and Runners-Up, or in the case of multi-regionals -- Regions 3 & 4 as well as 8 & 9 -- the highest placing team from each of the two regions regardless of placement into the playoffs)..."

As there's no Wild Card mention, that may be cause for severe disappointment among first-time runners-up.
Andrew Guyton
Macalester College (formerly of Chaska High School, MN)
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

NotBhan wrote:
Rothlover wrote: Can you give us a more detailed recap? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on particular answer selection. What were your favorite q's, and what did you get that made you feel oh so dirty. Did you really stomp anyone? How were your teammates? Did you find any objectionable characters at the event? Pray, tell.
FWIW, I think some of those tournaments are finishing up on Sunday, so any tales of Jason's best buzzes should wait until tomorrow evening.
Perhaps you can regale us now, Jason?
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

In response to the query invitation above, USC can be (and often is) defeated through more rapid and accurate buzzing. Or in the case of last year's CBI, through an incorrect answer accepted through judge error, to which our protest was subsequently ignored. Still, I'll refrain from vilifying any tournament our team can attend for free (via our Academic Affairs funding, ye conspiracy theorists).

Our respect and thanks go to the other teams (esp. those from infrequently-attending schools who suffered through one-sided losses), and to the organizers, who held a fun, if not perfectly consistent, tournament.

That "most important book in Arabic" question's going to stick with me for a while.
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Consolidated College Bowl results thread

Post by grapesmoker »

mujason wrote:1. Mizzou
2. Truman State
4. Kansas State

Jason Mueller
Man, I go away for one day and leave you guys unsupervised and look what happens.

I really have nothing to add to this discussion other than to express by amazement at Charles Meigs' continued existence, as well as his ability to locate Internet access in Yemen for the purpose of posting in this thread.

Also, I would like to propose that anyone bragging about personal CBI stats be beaten with an ACF trophy plaque. Since the set of such people is exactly identical with the set of Mizzou quizbowl players named Jason Mueller, I believe this arrangement should be satisfactory for all.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

If anybody tries to beat me with an ACF plaque, I'll defend myself with the copy of ~Coming of Age in Samoa~ I won at an ACF Fall tournament in 2004 (3rd individual in Div I behind Yaphe and Teitler). Plus, as an NAQT writer, I have an elite cabal of defenders who don't want me beaten up. Once again, I know CBI sucks, but it's (barely) better than nothing.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

mujason wrote:Plus, as an NAQT writer, I have an elite cabal of defenders who don't want me beaten up.
Name names.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

In reference to the original criticism, I think there are no more posts that are centrally about CBI results than there are posts centrally about how awesome Jason Mueller is, all of which have unsurprisingly been made by Jason Mueller. Signs point to the lack of a need for more than one "CBI" thread.

No one here cares how much you love yourself. Please top referencing your individual stats/performance at various tournaments or how you breath life into quizbowl clubs. In case you didn't know, one or two people here are also pretty good individual players.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Rothlover wrote:
mujason wrote:Plus, as an NAQT writer, I have an elite cabal of defenders who don't want me beaten up.
Name names.
Those defenders would be Jason's thumbs, grown swift and mighty through a regimen of opening the door of his pickup truck. Watch your step, Dan!
Krakki
Lulu

Post by Krakki »

I remember Andy T. Greeley being a tournament all star and Pat Moonen Sportsmanship Award winner at CBI NCT 2004 for the University of Washington. Now, I see he is back leading the UW team and region 14 in points listed as a senior undergraduate on the team roster. (I thought he was a senior in '04). Where did he disappear to for 2005 and 2006 and how did he manage not to graduate?
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

Name names? Duh, the NAQT writing and editing staff! We look out for each other.
Also, Raj, don't make fun of me for doing thumb exercises. You know who else did thumb exercises? :kenj: This guy. You would have done much better on Jeopardy! if you had done thumb exercises. It's a testament to your incredible depth and breadth of knowledge that you won multiple games with such poor buzzer skills. When I met you in person, I was quite nice to you, and you repay me with your ridicule.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

mujason wrote:Name names? Duh, the NAQT writing and editing staff! We look out for each other.
Also, Raj, don't make fun of me for doing thumb exercises. You know who else did thumb exercises? :kenj: This guy. You would have done much better on Jeopardy! if you had done thumb exercises. It's a testament to your incredible depth and breadth of knowledge that you won multiple games with such poor buzzer skills. When I met you in person, I was quite nice to you, and you repay me with your ridicule.
I don't think he was ridiculing you. Why are you reading hostility into what could just be genuine interest?
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

mujason wrote:Name names? Duh, the NAQT writing and editing staff! We look out for each other.
Sorry, no severe offense intended -- I was aiming for the light-hearted jab (albeit not with my puny thumbs) rather than ridicule.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

jason mueller has a posse
Matt Weiner
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

In my professional opinion, someone here needs to seek psychiatric attention.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Post by Birdofredum Sawin »

For once, I will assume the burden of speaking for NAQT in order to deny the accuracy of this statement. Mr. Mueller seems to have confused NAQT with another group of which he is a member, e.g. the Gangster Disciples. Which is to say that when Jerry comes for you wielding a vintage Benet's, you better run, 'cause R. Hentzel don't got your back.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

mujason wrote:If anybody tries to beat me with an ACF plaque, I'll defend myself with the copy of ~Coming of Age in Samoa~ I won at an ACF Fall tournament in 2004 (3rd individual in Div I behind Yaphe and Teitler). Plus, as an NAQT writer, I have an elite cabal of defenders who don't want me beaten up. Once again, I know CBI sucks, but it's (barely) better than nothing.
You know, I'm not sure if you have autism or some other disorder that prevents you from reading people's feelings and opinions of you (which is easy to do even over the internet), so if you do, my apologies, I guess. Sucks to be you. Nevertheless, I'm going to say what I know a large number of people are already thinking, because I'm mean like that and stuff:

Go away, Jason.

Seriously, get lost. No one wants you and your inflated ego around. You made this thread not to discuss results but to talk about how awesome you are for scoring 100 PPG in a format in which even my grandmother who speaks five words of English total would convert 30 PPG just by giving "borscht" as the answer to every question. Oh, you scored a lot of points at ACF Fall? Well, congratufuckinglations, we're all so damn proud of you we could just weep. That doesn't make you the third best player behind Seth and Andrew (you are so far below their level that it would be inconceivable to even place your name in the same sentence with theirs when discussing quizbowl); it just makes you a somewhat-competent player who knows the answer to lots of stock giveaways, and who plays with much weaker teammates.

Your self-aggrandizement is pathetic; I take it as prima facie evidence that you will never be any good at quizbowl, because I know that actually good players don't spend their time bragging about it on message boards. I'm sad that NAQT chose to hire you as a writer, but I'm pretty sure no one from NAQT is going to post in your defense when you get (rightly) savaged for being an annoying jerk (and hey, I should know something about spotting annoying jerks, although I guess I have the redeeming characteristic of never having been the target of a revolt by my own teammates).

Quit trying to be "cool" and "with it," because no one likes you, and no one cares about your stupid exploits. You are the object of derision in every conversation that ever arises about who the worst person in quizbowl history is. Everyone laughs at you and thinks you are a colossal tool. Go away and don't come back until you understand how to behave in social settings and stop being such an annoying dick.

I hope that was sufficiently harsh to penetrate what must surely be the dense web of denial and self-puffery which surrounds you everywhere you go. If not, let me know, and I'll try harder.

edit: I am happy that NAQT has not actually hired Jason as a writer. Score one for standards.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Who could have possibly predicted that the CBI thread would be making such a strong bid for thread of the year?
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

DumbJaques wrote:Who could have possibly predicted that the CBI thread would be making such a strong bid for thread of the year?
Me, as soon as I saw who the thread starter was.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I didn´t know his reputation really was that widespread. I mean, everyone takes pot shots on the MO boards but I didn´t realize that Mueller was in the top 3 of worst quiz bowl players ever. That is a record of national proportions.

I didn´t know about the throwing of the chair either ... funny that nobody mentioned it to me since it was against Truman.

I did hear about the ghastly cry of ¨NOOOOOOOOO¨ after the loss and the desperation ¨assssstttteeerrrooooiiiiddd¨ but I really hadn´t heard much else. Well, at least I have had the pleasure of witnessing it firsthand. Now a whole new group of people will have that joy in LA.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Whats the link to this MO board?
The Time Keeper
Auron

mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

I remember kicking a chair once, but never throwing one. Also, I've scored pretty high (40+) on those online AQ tests, so I may actually be slightly autistic, or more likely, as Aspie (social ineptitude, mad math skills, and adherence to routines, so I'm 3/3 on major indicators). By the way, not everybody hates me. Andy Wehrman said something very nice about me recently.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

mujason wrote:social ineptitude
Matt Weiner
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

Tell me something I don't know.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

mujason wrote:Tell me something I don't know.
NAQT Sectionals for your region were held at Oklahoma State and Iowa; ACF Regionals were held at Tulsa.