Old college threads.
shlack
Lulu

Quiz Bowl Movie

Post by shlack »

Anyone see this yet?:
http://www.starterfor10.com
Comments, reviews, etc?

I know it's University Challenge and not really "quizbowl," but until we get The Matt Weiner Story this is as close as it gets.

Edit: Added American website
Last edited by shlack on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

My freshman year I secretly began writing a screenplay called "For Ten Points", about a rag-tag team of misfits and neer-do-wells that somehow manages to mesh together and, after many montage scenes, wins ACF Fall.

But I never finished it. And now somebody stole my idea, at least kind of, with this movie's title.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah, we came up with an idea of doing a quiz bowl musical on the drive up to TRASH Regionals last fall.

I recently got the idea that it should involve a nuclear holocaust and the rebuilding of civilizations based on good quizbowl aesthetics.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Bruce, add in a scene convincing a first-year grad student who announced his "retirement" and you've got quiz bowl's answer to Bad News Bears. At least maybe the remake.

Also, any good Colorado State player knows that the book in your avatar is actually titled Make Way for Beef.
ShoopShoopSong
Kimahri

Post by ShoopShoopSong »

Good lord. The protagonist looks like the love child of Hugh Grant and Mike Sorice.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Apparently the movie is coming out in full release March 9 here in the States. Has anyone seen any other movies with Quiz Bowl depictions? The only ones I can remember are the QB/AD-esque game in The Day after Tomorrow, the College Bowl-like show in the Disney made-for-TV remake of The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes starring Kirk Cameron, and the original The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (haven't seen it so I'm not totally sure).
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Magnolia
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

The great movie "Diner" has a scene in which the character played by Kevin Bacon watches the original GE College Bowl show with Allen Ludden hosting and answers the questions before the players; this occurs before he ends up drunk in the town's nativity creche in his underwear and punches out the Joseph figure. Joe Bob says check it out.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

ShoopShoopSong wrote:Good lord. The protagonist looks like the love child of Hugh Grant and Mike Sorice.
My deepest shame revealed!

MaS
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

The terrible 1992 movie Class Act's last "climactic" point is a high school quiz bowl match between 4 black teenagers and 4 Catholic schoolgirls.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

cvdwightw wrote:The terrible 1992 movie Class Act's last "climactic" point is a high school quiz bowl match between 4 black teenagers and 4 Catholic schoolgirls.
I think thats also how the latest entry in the "My daughter is fucking blackzilla" series starts out, can you confirm Frankel?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

It's not a movie, but Boy Meets World had that one episode where Corey, Topanga and not-Corey were kept on a show because they were "cool." Also, Vader was the father of one of those kids, so that has to count for something.
barnacles
Lulu

Post by barnacles »

That's the guy from Last King of Scotland, which leads me to believe that Forest Whitaker will be in the movie, most likely playing the part of Ahmad Ragab.
shlack
Lulu

Post by shlack »

leftsaidfred wrote:It's not a movie, but Boy Meets World had that one episode where Corey, Topanga and not-Corey were kept on a show because they were "cool.".
Surely you mean Shawn Hunter, don't you Mr. Morlan?

Forrest Whitaker could also play the part of the Ismail Twins, perhaps via split-screen technology.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

shlack wrote:Surely you mean Shawn Hunter, don't you Mr. Morlan?
Yes, that is him.
shlack
Lulu

Post by shlack »

Well, it looks like nobody is going to see this. The film had an absolutely horrible opening, and the distributor is pulling it from most theaters. Shame.

I really hope this doesn't keep us from seeing the Dan Passner-produced documentary NAQT'ia '04, tentatively scheduled for a release by Fox Searchlight in September 2007.

edit: clarity
kshen
Kimahri

Post by kshen »

shlack wrote:Well, it looks like nobody is going to see this. The film had an absolutely horrible opening, and the distributor is pulling it from most theaters. Shame.

edit: clarity
It got good reviews, and it was successful enough in the UK to be sent over here. Anyway, it has only opened in a couple of cities so far.
two up two down
fleurdelivre
Tidus

Post by fleurdelivre »

didn't anyone else read the view from saturday? e.l. konigsburg won the newbery even though her depiction of middle-school academic competition is pretty screwy. still, it deserves higher mention than these crap movies...
Krakki
Lulu

Post by Krakki »

I just finished reading the novel upon which this movie was based (released under the title _A Question of Attraction_ in the US). All eight copies my city library possesses were not checked out at the time, indicating it's probably not hard to find. The book is an easy read and a bit dull at times. Someone not from the quizbowl world might find the story less intruiging, because the University Challenge content was necessary to hold my interest. Now that I know how it ends, I'm not so sure I want to spend the time on the movie. The story is a bit plucky, which may actually make for a better sappy comedy film that it does for a novel.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I suppose I will see if I have enough time to watch a movie on quiz bowl... after I actually run a tournament of course.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

fleurdelivre wrote:still, it deserves higher mention than these crap movies...
C'mon now. I won't speak on the rest of them, but Magnolia was a solid film. Not as great as it was heralded at the time, but it was pretty good.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

fleurdelivre wrote:didn't anyone else read the view from saturday? e.l. konigsburg won the newbery even though her depiction of middle-school academic competition is pretty screwy. still, it deserves higher mention than these crap movies...
Yes, I read it like in sixth grade, well before I had any idea what academic competition was. Perhaps I should re-read it with a different perspective now.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I really really liked "The View from Saturday" back in the day. The day being like elementary and middle school. I seem to recall some of the alleged questions being pretty arbitrary in form, and in the final round the moderator was pulling questions from a fishbowl. Leaving the weird image of quiz bowl aside, it was a really great book that totally deserved the Newberry.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?