Georgia Quiz Bowl 2006-2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jrbarry
Tidus

Georgia Quiz Bowl 2006-2007

Post by jrbarry »

Hey, I always thought Georgia should have a thread here and it seems we never have had one...until NOW!

I am tabbing Chattahoochee as having the greatest potential for success in 06-07. The usual suspects will come in as always, Brookwood, Heritage, Walton. Hopefully we will have some surprises this year.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I'm not from Georgia, but I remember that Lakeside had a pretty awesome JV team last year at the JV tourney at Cedar Shoals. They might make some noise.

Good luck with the Georgia thread...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, let's get more Georgia folks here! :) At your next coaches convention, feel free to let people know we're here.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
PaydayC4
Lulu

Post by PaydayC4 »

Those teams are the usual suspects in GA. Mr. Barry, has quizbowl expanded much in GA past the metro Atlanta area and Macon (I know Savannah and Miller Co. in SW GA had teams as well)?

I just got a job as a 1st year HS teacher at my alma mater (Berkmar HS) and it's a pretty good Academic Decathlon school for GA and that's where I'll be helping out (plus cross country...mumbling under breath). The only shame is that quizbowl's kinda died out here since AcDec got popular here. We probably won't be at county or region from what I can tell.
thepowerofche
Lulu

Post by thepowerofche »

I predict that Bleckley County will retain their title of Most Awesome School Name in GA.

And the 4- and 5-A schools will wipe the floor with the smaller schools, like always; blah, blah blah. And some ignoramus will leave out either Brookwood, Chattahoochee or Heritage from the High Q pool while letting East Bumble High drive 4 hours one way to get walloped by a Metro Atlanta school and then have their bus crash into the gate on the way out, meaning none of them get any sleep before their tests the next day. But, I guess that's what happens when you let the ratings make decisions.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Quiz Bowl at Berkmar seems pretty dead. It is doing OK in the rest of the County, however, and most Gwinnett teams do not participate in Academic Decathalon.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Tom:

Not only have we given out this site's address multiple times at GATA meetings, I give it out at Brookwood twice a year. My people are not dying for lack of knowledge.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

thepowerofche wrote:I predict that Bleckley County will retain their title of Most Awesome School Name in GA.
Oh, if only Clinch County, Screven County, or Schley County High Schools had teams....
thepowerofche wrote:And the 4- and 5-A schools will wipe the floor with the smaller schools, like always; blah, blah blah. And some ignoramus will leave out either Brookwood, Chattahoochee or Heritage from the High Q pool while letting East Bumble High drive 4 hours one way to get walloped by a Metro Atlanta school and then have their bus crash into the gate on the way out, meaning none of them get any sleep before their tests the next day. But, I guess that's what happens when you let the ratings make decisions.
It's better now than it used to be. I played at McIntosh from 1993-95, back in the days when each district had at most one representative (meaning Cobb and Gwinnett Counties each had the same number of representatives as Commerce City Schools) if they even got on (I think one year, outside of a school from Atlanta City Schools, there was NO Fulton County Schools representative). The fact that EVERY private school also had the same chance as any school district didn't help either.

The other thing that might be somewhat better is that at least there's a bracket now rather than "win 4 games in a row and you go to the playoffs" of that era. Often times you'd have good teams end up facing several good opponents in a row and drop 1 game and not make playoffs. So the playoff teams would either be an outstanding team like Walton or a reasonably good team like Dunwoody (back in 1994) who happened to get White County, Commerce, and Morgan County as their last three opponents to get into playoffs (which was essentially semifinals).

Granted, I've seen the High-Q brackets from the last few years, and it's painful to me to see things like Adairsville versus Pike County in one first round game and Brookwood vs. Heritage in another, but these are TV folks--they just don't know. It happens up here too on It's Academic, just not to the same egregious degree as it does down in Atlanta.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

From the Decathlon standpoint, I hope you can get the Berkmar AD kids to play qb. I don't know how hardcore your AD coach is, but I hope you can work with that person nevertheless. The advantage of qb is that there is more immediate gratification in knowing they got the answer right. :)

There is a fair number of Georgia teams that do Decathlon, and the state director in charge has been very active nationally. I don't quite know how she got the schools she has recruited to play, but it was interesting talking to some of the Georgia kids from Cedar Shoals (?) about whether they did qb.

(Rick: not saying you haven't been telling people about the site... we just need them to stop lurking. :) )
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
PaydayC4
Lulu

Post by PaydayC4 »

Byko wrote:
thepowerofche wrote:I predict that Bleckley County will retain their title of Most Awesome School Name in GA.
Oh, if only Clinch County, Screven County, or Schley County High Schools had teams....
thepowerofche wrote:And the 4- and 5-A schools will wipe the floor with the smaller schools, like always; blah, blah blah. And some ignoramus will leave out either Brookwood, Chattahoochee or Heritage from the High Q pool while letting East Bumble High drive 4 hours one way to get walloped by a Metro Atlanta school and then have their bus crash into the gate on the way out, meaning none of them get any sleep before their tests the next day. But, I guess that's what happens when you let the ratings make decisions.
It's better now than it used to be. I played at McIntosh from 1993-95, back in the days when each district had at most one representative (meaning Cobb and Gwinnett Counties each had the same number of representatives as Commerce City Schools) if they even got on (I think one year, outside of a school from Atlanta City Schools, there was NO Fulton County Schools representative). The fact that EVERY private school also had the same chance as any school district didn't help either.

The other thing that might be somewhat better is that at least there's a bracket now rather than "win 4 games in a row and you go to the playoffs" of that era. Often times you'd have good teams end up facing several good opponents in a row and drop 1 game and not make playoffs. So the playoff teams would either be an outstanding team like Walton or a reasonably good team like Dunwoody (back in 1994) who happened to get White County, Commerce, and Morgan County as their last three opponents to get into playoffs (which was essentially semifinals).

Granted, I've seen the High-Q brackets from the last few years, and it's painful to me to see things like Adairsville versus Pike County in one first round game and Brookwood vs. Heritage in another, but these are TV folks--they just don't know. It happens up here too on It's Academic, just not to the same egregious degree as it does down in Atlanta.
I've talked with Lloyd Busch (former Emory U. Academic Team coach and now the High-Q judge/question writer, I think) and I think it's only to have a "fair representation" but it's not fun to watch to the uneven second and third round games between a Brookwood or an Adairsville.
PaydayC4
Lulu

Post by PaydayC4 »

E.T. Chuck wrote:From the Decathlon standpoint, I hope you can get the Berkmar AD kids to play qb. I don't know how hardcore your AD coach is, but I hope you can work with that person nevertheless. The advantage of qb is that there is more immediate gratification in knowing they got the answer right. :)

There is a fair number of Georgia teams that do Decathlon, and the state director in charge has been very active nationally. I don't quite know how she got the schools she has recruited to play, but it was interesting talking to some of the Georgia kids from Cedar Shoals (?) about whether they did qb.

(Rick: not saying you haven't been telling people about the site... we just need them to stop lurking. :) )
I'll be working with the AD coach. It doesn't hurt that we've won state 4 years straight with a nationals berth to Hawaii on the line this year. That success has helped draw a lot more people to AD. I would coach qb if I wasn't a first year teacher with two extracurriculars already. I don't know what happened with the old QB coach because he's still here (maybe Mr. Barry knows).
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

From ET Chuck

"There is a fair number of Georgia teams that do Decathlon, and the state director in charge has been very active nationally. I don't quite know how she got the schools she has recruited to play, but it was interesting talking to some of the Georgia kids from Cedar Shoals (?) about whether they did qb."

Cedar hasnt done AD since the early 00s, so Im not sure which kids you speak of. From what I was told, they were THE Georgia powerhouse, but the time requirements were a bit straining on the people involved (Bill Pappas and Pearl Powell, the latter of which retired last year). I was offered the job when I began working there, but I wanted to QB job instead. Basically, the paperwork involved at each level was mind boggling from what I saw.

If you look at our trophy case on the back left hand side of the front lobby, the whole thing is pretty much AD stuff, same goes for the back right hand side (Math Team awards). Will our day come? Doubtful, but we enjoy it all the same.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

The Gwinnett County Tournament was Saturday, September 23, at Parkview High School. Brookwood narrowly defeated Grayson to win their 6th straight County title. Brookwood's JV beat Duluth to win the JV division championship.

Both Brookwood and Grayson will compete on WSB-TV's High Q program in October. Ironically, the two teams will play each other in round one.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

BTW - Brindlee Mountain plans to attend Walton's tournament on Oct. 7. I was just curious as to what Georgia powerhouses we might have the pleasure to play against.

I'm hoping to get to play Brookwood (hopefully in the play-offs). There still has never been a Brookwood A/Brindlee Mountain A match and I highly regret that.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

No GA powerhouses this year. It is a rebuilding year in GA.

Chattahoochee might be our best team this year, but who knows. Walton will not be competing in their own tournament. Brookwood will have foiur teams at Walton. Heritage is usually a strong team and Grayson
and Central Gwinnett and Central-Macon as well.

I preduct a GA team will NOT win Walton this year.
Rountree
Rikku

Best Georgia Team...Ever?

Post by Rountree »

I would have to say the best Georgia team I have ever seen in person was the Brookwood 1995-1996 team comprised of Rob Schnieder, James Alexander, Griffin Smith, and Adam (?). I believe they still have the distinction of winning the most tournaments in one year for the state of GA, if not for the entire SE USA. (They won something ridiculous like 14 out of the 17 tournaments they competed in; and they played in several out of state tournaments.) They were monsters. Mr. Barry, maybe you can clarify the specifics for us...
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

The 1995-1996 won 200+ matches and lost only 8 matches, including in two national tournaments. In fact, that team lost only 1 match in the regular season when all 4 starters were present. They were definitely the best Brookwood team ever. But I wouldn't give them the mantle of best team in the SE ever. Gotta consider those Dorman teams in the early earlyy 1990s and the first couple of Dorman teams Eric Huff coached recently, 02-03 comes to mind. And several James Island teams from the 1990s come to mind as well. Irmo and Walton had some great teams as well.
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Rick,
I have hoped for a while that you would write an article or write a very long post on the history of qb, as you have known it. Some one needs to write about the history of quiz. As a teacher of history and one who has been involved in quiz for, I believe, over twenty years-you seem to be that person.
You wrote of a few of the top teams in the early and mid-90's. I had the great pleasure to see and/or play against two of the teams you mentioned. The Dorman teams coached by the great Jim Garrick and the James Island team. Dorman beat my Pensacola team twice in the same tournament both in overtime! A great and helpful coach, his team a wonderful, friendly bunch. What qb is all about.
The best match I ever witnessed was the 1994(95?) ACT championship match James Island v. a team from I think from Texas. It was like a heavy weight fight the two teams slugging it out. The match was never more than a two question spread. I believe James Island tied it on the last question and lost it on a bible question in sudden death-an amazing match. I sat next to Jim Garrick during that match and he said it was the best match he had ever seen. Do you remember that match?
Rick a big public thanks for all that you have done for quiz!!
Michael Harvey
American Community School
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Rountree
Rikku

Best GA team ever

Post by Rountree »

Wow, Mr. Barry, I had no idea the 95-96 BHS team was that dominant. But, I never said they were the best team ever in the SE. I said I think they hold the distinction for winning the most tournaments by any team in the SE--big difference there. And, I never saw those early 90s teams of which you spoke. I only said out of the teams that I had ever personally seen, the 95-96 BHS team was the best. As a former BHS team member, I know without a doubt that the 95-96 team was the best ever at Brookwood.

Along with having a great coach, which I definitely had, anyone who takes Quiz Bowl seriously needs to see a great team play, in person, in order to push them to be better themselves; to show them what can be accomplished through hard work and dedication. I was just lucky enough to see it first-hand on a weekly basis, which made a huge diffenece in my experience with Quiz Bowl. When we got to be seniors, we always strove to compare ourselves to the 95-96 team...always.
Ben_Dodson1
Kimahri

Post by Ben_Dodson1 »

I would have to agree with jrbarry about Chattahoochee being the strongest team this year. Other strong teams would be Brookwood, Central, Grayson, and (my own school) Norcross. These past few years Norcross has been showing much more life in tournaments, but unfortunately we've been off to a shaky start so far. I think at the Brookwood Varsity tournament this November we'll really be able to show our capabilities as we'll have all of our starters for that tournament. Also, the Brookwood Tournament always has excellent questions, so I'm looking forward to it very much as well. Powerhouse of the SE seems to be Dorman this year. Walton lost their top player last year and I havn't heard anything from Heritage in awhile. I havn't seem the 95-96 BHS team, but I did see the 04-05 team and they were a great group as well. Raleigh Charter has fielded some great teams in the past as well.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I am proud of my teams for doing well at Walton today. Bwood-A coming in second place is a strong accomplishment.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain still didn't get a chance to face Brookwood A... We lost on a tie-breaker to Chattahoochee, who is a great team. I hated to lose such a closely-fought match, but at least it was to a worthy opponent. For what it is worth, Georgia is a very strong state and we enjoyed our visit.
Rountree
Rikku

Walton Tournament

Post by Rountree »

I, too, am proud of my team, CHS, for finishing so well at Walton this past weekend. I would like to have seen the CHS vs. Brindlee Mt. match in the Round of 16. I told my guys to be ready via phone before the match, and it sounds like it came down to the wire, so to speak.

Dorman is the real deal this year in Quiz Bowl, and 3 of their top 4 are juniors! They are very strong, perhaps the best team in the SE so far this season. I look forward to many more match-ups with them as the year goes on, like at Brookwood and at Vanderbilt (Fall).
JHauck
Lulu

Cedar Shoals JV

Post by JHauck »

I wasn't there today but I talked to my teams and they said they enjoyed the Cedar Shoals tournament. Sounds like South Carolina dominated this one...I think it was Dorman first and James Island second...my team (Heritage) finished third and Bleckley finished fourth. I'm very proud of the Heritage JV! I have a very dedicate group this year and two or three of them are doing double duty on a very young HHS Varsity team that made it to the round of 8 at the Walton Tournament.

Some info for those who remember my Captain from last year (Steven) - he played on the UGA JV team with former Brookwood and Milton players and they won their first college tournament a few weeks ago!
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

quiz4life wrote: quiz
Out of curiosity, and not to be snooty or anything, why do you refer to it as simply "quiz"? For me at least, when I hear it called that I think of some weekly news trivia contest in a bar in South Carolina, or a UK pub. I know you're not trying to degrade/equate it to that, but I'm just wondering. I guess every region/country has their own name for it...
Gunnells
Lulu

Post by Gunnells »

jrbarry wrote:No GA powerhouses this year. It is a rebuilding year in GA.
This is an old post, so you may not still feel this way, but I think you're selling Chattahoochee short. They are the team to beat in-state, and they are capable of playing with anyone out of state as well.

I don't know where he picked up his tricks, but their coach is doing a great job.

Though they've yet to bring home a trophy, Central Gwinnett has been the most consistently impressive behind Chattahoochee. They've got some strong seniors and some big wins, including Brookwood (twice) and Raleigh (NC).

Brookwood is still Brookwood. The burgundy machine intimidates opponents and places in events in and out of state. I suspect it's some sort of Louisiana bayou curse.

Walton will probably be there at the end as well. They have such a great program and coaches, you have to put them up here.

Grayson's looking strong again, and Norcross is starting to play with some consistency as well.

Heritage is as good as any in this group, save Chatthoochee. They have to be a huge favorite to win AAAA again this year.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Chad: I still think there are no powerhouse teams in GA. In fact, I do not think we have had one since 3-4 years ago. However, that does not mean we do not haveany good teams. We have several good teams including the ones you listed.

If I had to pick (2007 state champions), I would say the 5A favorite is Chattahoochee and the 4A favorite is Heritage.

Unfortunately, the Dorman Tournament told us nothing about our GA varsity teams. The toss-up questions were so very easy it was little more than a buzzer fest.
Ben_Dodson
Lulu

Post by Ben_Dodson »

The prelims were JV level type questions, but when it got to playoff time the questions progressed significantly in difficulty. It'd be unfair to say that Dorman wasn't a gauge of any team's ability as by Round of 16 and Round of 8 time, good teams were playing each other with solid questions. I would consider that as fair a match as any that I've played at a Brookwood Tournament.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Ben_Dodson wrote:I would consider that as fair a match as any that I've played at a Brookwood Tournament.
Brookwood is a fair comparison. For example, that Massaccio question was nearly word for word the same as the one from the '04 Brookwood prelims. Might have been '03--I don't have it in front of me.

Eric
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

What I was referring to in my post was ther GA State Tournament which has been the measure of our state's teams since 1989. Our prelim matches are of the same difficulty as our playoff questions. (Playoff matches are longer, for what that is worth).

Brookwood's varsity tournament is not the measure of GA teams' ability either, so I have no idea why anyone here would bring up Brookwood.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I've heard rumors that other formats exist and teams (even those from Georgia) compete on them. Confirm/deny.

MaS
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

One thing I really like about Georgia is we have invitationals with all kinds of match and tournament formats. Our State Tournaments format is pretty traditional with just tossups and bonuses and a subject matter question formula.
Gunnells
Lulu

Post by Gunnells »

Chattahoochee has some great kids, but Norcross is sick of seeing them in the semifinals. They have eliminated us at that level from the last three tournaments we've shared (UGa, Dorman, and now Cedar Shoals).

Congratulations to Coach Rountree and Chattahoochee on another tournament title.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Be glad you made the semifinals. That in itself is an accomplishment of note. :-)

I cannot wait for the Chattahoochee Tournament on Feb 24 as I might finally have my top 4 playing together by then.
Gunnells
Lulu

Post by Gunnells »

jrbarry wrote:Be glad you made the semifinals. That in itself is an accomplishment of note. :-)
True. While we wanted to go farther, that win over Dorman in the quarters was worth the trip.
Kimahri

Post by Guest »

There seems to have been teams from Dorman playing at two different tournaments- both Gonzaga and Cedar Shoals. Which one was their actual A-team?
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

I think the Dorman team at Gonzaga was their A team, but I've never seen a bad Dorman team. A win over ANY team from Dorman is an accomplishment.

I look forward to the Georgia Varsity State Tournament in March when my top 4 players will all be playing together.
Last edited by centralhs on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

When I read for Dorman A vs. Dorman B earlier in the year, the B team very nearly ended up winning. I think the final point differential was 10 or so, pending a protest. Talk about depth....

I also think it's interesting that Norcross has beaten a higher seed in the playoffs of several of its tournaments this year.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

vig180 wrote:When I read for Dorman A vs. Dorman B earlier in the year, the B team very nearly ended up winning. I think the final point differential was 10 or so, pending a protest. Talk about depth....
I remember last year at NAQT nationals it was like that as well. Coming into the playoffs Dorman A was one spot ahead of Dorman B in seeding. Doubtless they have a lot of depth, but part of the closeness may be because some of those B players should really be playing on A and there may be some seniority issue going on (like how Papa probably should have been playing on Dunbar A last year), or there could be some intentional balancing early in the year to make sure two teams qualify for nationals, but who knows.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I played their A team twice, and really what I think Mr. Huff is doing is putting the strongest combination of players together. Their A team really didn't have any noticeable gaps, so I think what they're doing is fine. Instead I think it is a testament to Dorman's phenomenal-ness that they have, as "leftovers" for lack of a better word, such an amazing B team.
Gunnells
Lulu

Post by Gunnells »

vig180 wrote:When I read for Dorman A vs. Dorman B earlier in the year, the B team very nearly ended up winning. I think the final point differential was 10 or so, pending a protest. Talk about depth....

I also think it's interesting that Norcross has beaten a higher seed in the playoffs of several of its tournaments this year.
This time, there was a perfectly good explanation. Two of our starters did not arrive in time for preliminaries, as they were taking part in an individual history competition at UGa. We played with a three man team for the preliminaries, losing to Dorman by around 100, but managing to win the other matches.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of consistency. We lost to Dunbar in the prelims at Dorman, and deservedly so, as they were a much better team that round. We played to our ability after that and were fortunate to pull out close matches against some good teams, though the nature of this year's Dorman tournament definitely played to our strength.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

60 teams signed up for the Brookwood JV Scholars Bowl on Saturday, Feb 10. 5 preliminary matches, lunch, all teams advance to the playoffs which begin in Round 6.
Ben_Dodson
Lulu

Post by Ben_Dodson »

At the tournament at Chattahoochee on 2/24, Brookwood A was the only team from Georgia that made it to the semi-final rounds before bowing out to Dorman A. Congratulations!
foxhound_GR
Lulu

Questions

Post by foxhound_GR »

How would you guys feel if a tournament used questions already available to the public through the internet?
Socrates' last words --- " I have to drink what?"
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

That would be totally unacceptable -- I assume almost nobody would disagree with that. Why do you ask?
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I would feel :chip:.

MaS
foxhound_GR
Lulu

RE questions

Post by foxhound_GR »

We just went to a tournament, and I was looking at some stanford archive packets and came across one where there were several questions exactly like in the tournament.
Last edited by foxhound_GR on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: RE questions

Post by AKKOLADE »

foxhound_GR wrote:We just went to a tournament, and I was looking at some stanford archive packets and came across one where there were several questions exactly like in the tournament. The packet obvious came first (2002).
Oh hey plagiarism. Please share more information about this tournament you attended and any questions that may have been copied.
foxhound_GR
Lulu

RE questions

Post by foxhound_GR »

Would it be plagarism if it was a free public resource like the Stanford Archives? And what would happen if I did report this? It just seems like a buncha varsity students skimped on their job
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: RE questions

Post by AKKOLADE »

foxhound_GR wrote:Would it be plagarism if it was a free public resource like the Stanford Archives? And what would happen if I did report this? It just seems like a buncha varsity students skimped on their job
If they have permission from the original authors, it'd just be a freaking terrible idea. I'm doubting they did that though, so chances are they stole the questions.