Alabama 2006-2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Wow, this thread died quick.

On another note, who's going to Arab this Saturday?
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Scottsboro won't be.. got a junior high tournament
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Gadsden City will be there
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Results form ASCA Small Schools State:

Varsity:

1st- Brindlee Mountain
2nd- Tanner
3rd- Hanceville

JV:

1st- Hoover
2nd-4th- ???

The questions were decent. Not as many hoses as your usual tournament, but still a few, and I just have to admit to probably the worst neg I've ever heard.

Moderator: Tanya deposited...
Me: *BUZZ* Crime and Punishment
Answer: calcite

The tossup would go on to talking about TANYA dropping a acidic solution onto a rock. For some odd reason, my brain told me "She said Sonya!" Such was not the case.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Results form Arab Invitational:

1st- Brindlee Mountain
2nd- Muscle Shoals
3rd & 4th- Randolph and Hartselle (don't know which one won the consolation)

What was odd was that both Bob Jones and Lincoln County, seeded #1 and #2 respectively, lost their quarterfinals matches to the 8th and 7th seeds.

Our closest match, other than our loss to Athens, was from Bob Jones, who we beat by only 15 or 30 points.

Questions were ok, but the ones from Small Schools State were probably better. Alot more repeats at Arab and worksheets that were just off the wall (one asked to name the male AND female of a gnat). All in all though, good tournament.
Last edited by AndyShootsAndyScores on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

the worksheets really stunk at arab the questions where okay, but the questions yall had at the brindlee tournament are 10 times better than those.
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Results from Paul W. Bryant Tournament

1st - LAMP
2nd - Hoover 1
3rd - Indian Springs
4th - Hoover 2

It was overall an enjoyable tournament with a few flaws in repeated questions, obscure worksheets, long 5 point tossups, and short 15 point tossups.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I'm trying to get more teams to come to the NAQT State Tournament on March 24. Those few of you who read this board, please let your sponsors/coaches know about this event. Thanks.

-Lee
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Here is a link to this years' district assignments. Thoughts? Predictions?

http://www.dbtech.net/asca/HSDist.htm
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

A district with 6 schools? A little ricidulous.

Things look the same as always. Of course, you can't really complain about state-bound teams from districts being weak. Happens in every sport. But, that doesn't mean we won't complain :razz:.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Yes I happened to look at those Saturday night after we talked about them Lee.. we are going to have joyous time at Scottsboro with my group of freshmen at Snead but it is all good, hopefully they will play like they are capable of playing and surprise a couple of teams....
Actually I wish that we would look at some type of realignment on the districts not so much due to strength of the different districts but as Andy pointed out, a 6 team district? Seems a bit of a waste of space when you have other districts packed to the gills...
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:A district with 6 schools? A little ricidulous.

Things look the same as always. Of course, you can't really complain about state-bound teams from districts being weak. Happens in every sport. But, that doesn't mean we won't complain :razz:.
Andy invented a new word.

From Funk and Wagnalls:

Ricidulous - adj. A district that LAMP is sure to win.

Matt, your middle school team is good enough this year. You don't have to prove anything else.

Snead will be a beast as it always is. Regionals at Arab will be even worse. Same old, same old...
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Although our 6 school district is pretty ridiculous, I think that you also need to consider the locations of each school. Though I am not a master of Alabama geography, I think the districts reflect the concentration of schools in Alabama, with most of them in the north and relatively fewer in the south and in the Dothan area. Thus, although this alignment may be unfair, it is the probably best that ASCA could come up with.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DZ_LAMP wrote:Although our 6 school district is pretty ridiculous, I think that you also need to consider the locations of each school. Though I am not a master of Alabama geography, I think the districts reflect the concentration of schools in Alabama, with most of them in the north and relatively fewer in the south and in the Dothan area. Thus, although this alignment may be unfair, it is the probably best that ASCA could come up with.
I realize this. I'm actually growing pretty tired of my annual ASCA rant. I just don't care anymore. We'll go wherever they send us and do our best.

LAMP will likely get to Regionals (and state) no matter what district you are in, so it's really moot. If we at Brindlee Mountain don't make it to state this year, I won't be belly-aching about the system keeping us down. We really have no excuse, no matter who we have to play.

And, for what it is worth, the Birmingham District is a lot worse this year than in the past. Several good teams will be knocked out of that one.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

That is very true Lee about the Bham district with the teams that are in there someone is going to come out on the short end of the stick. I know that there is more than likely no way to make the district playoff any more fair until we get more teams actually playing and playing often enough to build strong teams through out the state. It has been pointed out in an earlier thread, that ASCA is losing teams and while some of it can be given to sponsors leaving, so is also due to ASCA not really doing a very good PR job with systems. You don't see a football team folding because the coach left but that does happen with quiz bowl teams, which is really sad if you ask me.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Sweet, the districts are still horribly unbalanced!

Of course, the real shafting usually goes on at regionals, but eh...
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Anyone here going to the Science Bowl Regional Competition this Saturday in Mobile?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Any word from District?

At Snead, Brindlee Mountain and Grissom were both undefeated in their respective pools. I didn't get a chance to see Grissom play, and scores weren't posted, so I don't know how dominant they were. I can, though, give you Brindlee Mountain's scores:

Brindlee Mountain - 385
Sand Rock - 110

Brindlee Mountain - 410
Randolph - 125

Brindlee Mountain - 385
Guntersville - 70

Brindlee Mountain - 440
Hazel Green - 140

Brindlee Mountain - 305
Bob Jones - 200

Brindlee Mountain - 435
Lee High School - 80

Also, I can tell you that Brindlee Mountain, Grissom, Buckhorn, Bob Jones, Randolph, and Covenant Christian are going on to Regionals.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

From my little section of the world, Russellville, Belgreen, Muscle Shoals, Brooks, Florence, and Shoals Christian are going to regional. I'd be surprised if MSHS didn't advance to state, and I think RHS should be good, but beyond that, I don't know much more.
Hobodog
Lulu

Post by Hobodog »

And it appears mountain brook is barely even fielding a team now...so dissapointing. A team can only be so good as its sponsor allows it.
ASFA Tournament Champions 2003,2004,2006
---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Since our district was so small with an eventual 8 teams, there was only one pool.

The regional qualifiers were: LAMP, Northview, Houston Academy.

With all the preseason speculation, I'd like to know how good Bob Jones seems this year.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DZ_LAMP wrote:Since our district was so small with an eventual 8 teams, there was only one pool.

The regional qualifiers were: LAMP, Northview, Houston Academy.

With all the preseason speculation, I'd like to know how good Bob Jones seems this year.
Bob Jones was the toughest team that we played at district. But, even though it was one of the worst matches my team played, we still won by 105 points. Bob Jones still has John Illg from last year and is still decent. With a little luck and some work, they could be a contender.
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

From the Bob Jones invitational:

1. Muscle Shoals
2. CCA
3. Arab
4. Lincoln County A
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Somerled wrote:From the Bob Jones invitational:

1. Muscle Shoals
2. CCA
3. Arab
4. Lincoln County A
Hmm... I didn't even know there WAS a Bob Jones Invitational....
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

quizbowllee wrote:
Somerled wrote:From the Bob Jones invitational:

1. Muscle Shoals
2. CCA
3. Arab
4. Lincoln County A
Hmm... I didn't even know there WAS a Bob Jones Invitational....
Nor did I.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

That's strange. It was a later date than it was usually held.

Any predictions on the top contenders at state?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Somerled wrote:That's strange. It was a later date than it was usually held.

Any predictions on the top contenders at state?
Indian Springs, Brindlee Mountain, and LAMP.
Somerled
Lulu

Post by Somerled »

Has anybody seen Russelville or Muscle Shoals? I saw Muscle Shoals at Bob Jones and they appeared to have potential.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I have seen Russellville, they have played pretty well at times but I honestly don't know if they have the horsepower to stay with any of the three teams mentioned above...
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

It was the 5th Annual Bob Jones Invitational.

It was later this year because they have a new coach this year that's still learning the ropes.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Somerled wrote:Has anybody seen Russelville or Muscle Shoals? I saw Muscle Shoals at Bob Jones and they appeared to have potential.
We played against Muscle Shoals at the Arab Invitational in the finals and beat them by over 100 points. They were doing decent in the 5 pointers, but after they got down by so much it looked like they quit trying.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:
Somerled wrote:Has anybody seen Russelville or Muscle Shoals? I saw Muscle Shoals at Bob Jones and they appeared to have potential.
We played against Muscle Shoals at the Arab Invitational in the finals and beat them by over 100 points. They were doing decent in the 5 pointers, but after they got down by so much it looked like they quit trying.
I can give you the long and short of Russellville...

They know a good deal of stuff, but they just don't have that much speed. The potential is there for them in the future, and they should be able to make it to state, but I don't see them getting past pool play at state this year. They should, however, be really good the next ywo years.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Regional assignments are up: http://www.dbtech.net/asca/HSDistwin.htm

Thoughts?
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

The list has very few surprises on it, at least in terms of the teams I know more about. Three teams that made it to state last year did not qualify for Regionals (Bayside, Hillcrest, and Northridge), but not of those teams were among the top contenders there anyway. From my old district, the teams two teams of note that did not advance on were Mountain Brook and Pelham, but I think both are probably having an off-year. ASFA made it though, and apparently they went 4-1 while doing so. If they get a favorable pool arrangement, I think they can make it to state and do pretty well. Arab looks like the close upset regional as always.

My random picks for the teams making state, based entirely on past impressions and the little snippets of info from this forum:
Bob Jones
Brindlee
Buckhorn
Grissom
LAMP
St. Paul's
Baker
Springwood
ASFA
Hoover
Indian Springs
Southside
Russellville
Muscle Shoals
Florence
Holy Spirit
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
Hobodog
Lulu

Post by Hobodog »

Right now Mountain Brook is in the process of falling apart...I think when the current coach finally leaves (shes in way over her head...not familiar with SB at all...really imho she is holding the team back if thats possible) and the team gets a sponsor with some experience or substantial ambition...then Mountain Brook will be back. Right now the coach is just not a good fit. I just hope it can be rectified before the team dwindles completely and there is no one to restart it if it dies. (no students, etc) Thats part of the problem with the past couple MB teams...I essentially ran them, picked the tournaments myself, took care of work at the tournaments, etc. Once I left there was no one who had taken to learning what needed to be done to be good...well competent, I never practiced or anything so I wouldn't be the one to ask about what to do to get good. I just really hope someone comes in like a few years ago who had substantial SB experience in High School and took control of our team and turned us into a perennial top 8 team in the state and annual winners of ASFA :) .

Sorry if thats a bit of a rant...for some reason it pains me to see something I enjoyed so much disappear. (then again how much do I love it...I don't make time for it here at Tech)

Hey Lee...does Bob Jones still have that asshole from last year that tried to start a fight with every team he played at NAQT State at Marion?...(they beat us by 300...just one of those matches...we were doing well in points...and they just smashed us...they were arguing with the reader about junk late in the match. We weren't happy, and then he made a comment about...I don't even remember, just gave me a great distaste for everything Bob Jones.)

Hey David...I don't know if you realize this but Mountain Brook also failed to qualify for regional last year. (still blows my mind how badly we choked...) It was our final match in tiebreakers to Indian Springs that changed my opinion of Dr. Cooper for life. We lost...I was leaving the room and he left his team came out in the hall and congratulated me personally and the team and told us a bunch of other stuff...really class act. Of course...a couple weeks later we went to ASFA...and somehow managed to qualify in last eight (re:last) seed for the playoffs and beat the 1,4,2 seeds...Brindlee Mountain, Walton, and CCA...and smash them all.

(its funny I only went to regionals once because said coach mentioned earlier forgot about state my junior year...I only realized we missed it when someone asked me where we were that week the next week at ASFA...thats what drove me to control the team.)

wtf this post gets longer and longer...
ASFA Tournament Champions 2003,2004,2006
---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Here is the current - and likely final - field for the NAQT State Tournament:

Austin
Cullman
Scottsboro A
Scottsboro B
WJ Christian A
WJ Christian B
WJ Christian C
Brindlee Mtn. A
Brindlee Mtn. B
Brindlee Mtn. C
Northridge A
Northridge B
Northridge C
Shelby County A
Shelby County B
Indian Springs

If anyone else wants to come, you'd better let me know in the next few days. I need to finalize this so that we can be sure of how many readers, rooms, etc. are needed.

Also, anyone care to make predictions or discuss???
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Lee

I'm still trying to convince my coaches to let us come, but I can't promise anything as it is spring break for us.
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Well just going out a limb I imagine the host brindlee mountain will win. Yall are really good when it comes to NAQT I was on the receiving end of an ass whupping at the hands of brindlee lol
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Hobodog wrote:Hey Lee...does Bob Jones still have that asshole from last year that tried to start a fight with every team he played at NAQT State at Marion?...(they beat us by 300...just one of those matches...we were doing well in points...and they just smashed us...they were arguing with the reader about junk late in the match. We weren't happy, and then he made a comment about...I don't even remember, just gave me a great distaste for everything Bob Jones.)

Hey David...I don't know if you realize this but Mountain Brook also failed to qualify for regional last year. (still blows my mind how badly we choked...) It was our final match in tiebreakers to Indian Springs that changed my opinion of Dr. Cooper for life. We lost...I was leaving the room and he left his team came out in the hall and congratulated me personally and the team and told us a bunch of other stuff...really class act. Of course...a couple weeks later we went to ASFA...and somehow managed to qualify in last eight (re:last) seed for the playoffs and beat the 1,4,2 seeds...Brindlee Mountain, Walton, and CCA...and smash them all.

(its funny I only went to regionals once because said coach mentioned earlier forgot about state my junior year...I only realized we missed it when someone asked me where we were that week the next week at ASFA...thats what drove me to control the team.)

wtf this post gets longer and longer...
The person you were referring to is at Alabama now. I'll actually be seeing him in April in Minneapolis when we head up there for ICT, so that should be interesting to say the least.

Yeah, I remember y'all not qualifying for Regionals. I've had respect for Dr. Cooper and Indian Springs ever since I met them in 9th grade. They're good people and tough competition, and the Jeff State district is always a tough one to make it out of.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

DVader wrote:The person you were referring to is at Alabama now.
Was it Lymphoma, er, Andrew? Because that would be really hilarious.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Yes, it was.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Being Andrew's current teammate I can assure you his behavior continues. What team are you from, since we'll be seeing you at Nats?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

From Regionals at Arab, the following teams are headed to State:

Pool A:

1st - Grissom
2nd - Bob Jones

Pool B:

1st - Brindlee Mountain
2nd - Austin
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

From Regionals in Greenville: LAMP, Murphy, St. Paul, Baker.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

From South Lamar:

Russellville, Brookwood, Muscle Shoals, Holy Spirit
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Results from Huntsville City Invitational:

1st - Brindlee Mountain
2nd - Huntsville All-Stars A

Semi-Finalists: LAMP and Cullman
DZ_LAMP
Lulu

Post by DZ_LAMP »

Any word on the Individual High Scorers?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

DZ_LAMP wrote:Any word on the Individual High Scorers?
I know that Andy was MVP. Other than that, I don't know.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Here is the 100% final field (I hope) for NAQT State:

Indian Springs
Austin
Cordova
Scottsboro A
Scottsboro B
Northridge A
Northridge B
Northridge C
Brindlee Mountain A
Brindlee Mountain B
Brindlee Mountain C
Brindlee Mountain Middle
Shelby County A
Shelby County B

I wish NAQT could attract more powerhouse teams in order to add a bit more legitimacy to the championship. Next year, if we are again chosen to host, I'll try to host on a date that does not fall during so many spring breaks.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

At the NAQT State Tournament hosted by Brindlee Mountain, Indian Springs forced an 8-questions shootout against Brindlee Mountain A and won by 15. They are a really tough team.

It was weird. We beat them really bad once. Then they beat us really bad. Then to break the tie, we played a nail-biter.

Anyway, Coach Bob Cooper of Indian Springs is retiring after this year. That's big news alone. However, he really dropped a bombshell when he told me that he doesn't think that Indian Springs will have a team at all next year (if ever again). That will really change the quiz bowl climate in Alabama for sure. ISS is always one of the best.

At any rate, I wish Bob Cooper the best in his retirement.

ASCA State should be interesting, as I'm sure that ISS wants to go out with a bang and be the first team ever to win both state tournaments in the same year.

-Lee