Seminole Bowl: Jeff Bowden Memorial Tournament @ FSU 3/10/07

Old college threads.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Seminole Bowl: Jeff Bowden Memorial Tournament @ FSU 3/10/07

Post by wd4gdz »

This is the general announcement for Seminole Bowl I: The Jeff Bowden Memorial Tournament, a collegiate/open academic tournament to be held at the Florida State University campus on March 10, 2007.

The tournament will almost certainly start at 9:30 in the Bellamy Building and last for ten rounds or so. Specific details on the building location and time frame will be sent to teams who sign up. Each match will consist of 20 tossups with accompanying bonuses, divided into two un-timed halves; ties will be broken by sudden death overtime tossups.

This tournament will be a mirror of/collaboration with the tournaments taking place at Illinois, UCLA, and VCU on the same day. This will be a packet-submission-optional event and, since its source is intended as a novice tournament, will be of a moderate to low difficulty level. Thus, this is an ideal event for younger players, though all are welcome.

All collegiate teams are eligible to participate and may write a packet for a quite substantial discount, or may play without writing a packet if they wish (see below). Open teams are also eligible to participe, and the same fee structure will apply.

The base fee for teams who choose not to write a packet is $120. If you can write a GOOD packet by February 16, your base fee is $60, Since this date is rapidly approaching, I'll give you a prorated base fee for whatever GOOD questions you submit by February 16.

There is also a $10 discount per fully functional buzzer system and a $20 discount for a full-time competent moderator, along with a $10 discount for each additional team. The minimum fee per team is $0--i.e. you write a good packet and bring a few buzzers and staffers, you play for free.

Packets should adhere to the guidelines posted for the Illinois site and should be submitted to me. All the packet information is at this link: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3536

To register or send packets/questions e-mail me at wfb04 @ fsu dot edu with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, along with an email address and cell phone where you can be contacted with details. Registrations will be taken up to March 5th. For the moment, the field is capped at the first 12 teams to register, but it is possible that the field size could be expanded if interest requires it.

E-mail me if you have any further questions. I'm hoping to have a pretty competitive event, drawing teams from throughout the southeast, on March 10.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Here is a field update:

VCC (2)
FMU
UNF
GT
FSU

Still waiting on some of the usual suspects to register, including UF and USF. Registration closes on March 5th, so act quickly.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

NOT surprisingly, 0 teams who participated in CBI Region 6 will participate in this tournament, despite talking to them in person at the event, and sending out an email afterwards.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Sorry, Billy, but Tallahassee is a really long trip for us to make two out of three weekends. Even so, if it weren't during our Spring Break, we'd probably have sent at least one team.

What's Florida's excuse? :wink:
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

wd4gdz wrote:NOT surprisingly, 0 teams who participated in CBI Region 6 will participate in this tournament, despite talking to them in person at the event, and sending out an email afterwards.
Did they give any response at all?
chune72
Lulu

Post by chune72 »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:Even so, if it weren't during our Spring Break, we'd probably have sent at least one team.

What's Florida's excuse? :wink:
General lack of interest due to Spring Break.

BTW, does anyone know what's up with USF's Sun-n-Fun this year?
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

Sorry, if it weren't for the SEC Basketball tournament, I'm sure MSU would send a team, Spring Break or not.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Well, presumably Miss. State will have lost to the Bama-Kentucky winner by around 3:15 pm Friday, giving y'all time to get to Tallahassee for Saturday's tournament!

Sorry, just some arrogant Gator humor there.
aplviper
Kimahri

Post by aplviper »

USF's Sun N Fun will probably be held in May this year. An official announcement will be made as soon as the date is decided.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Overall Team Standings:
1) FMU
2) USF
3) Valencia Red

Novice Team Standings:
1) Pensacola HS
2) GT
3) UNF

Individual Standings:
1) Ahmad of USF
2) Chip of FMU
3) Sean of Valencia Red

A good time was had by all, I hope.
A big thanks goes out to all the readers.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Apparently these were never posted, so here ya go:
http://www.geocities.com/fsucollegebowl ... dings.html
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

wd4gdz wrote:Apparently these were never posted, so here ya go:
http://www.geocities.com/fsucollegebowl ... dings.html
Looks like quite a mixture of schools - 4 year unis, CC (if that's the same Valencia I'm thinking of), and a HS.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09