College Jeopardy

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rchschem
Yuna

College Jeopardy

Post by rchschem »

Will Schultz will be representing Chapel Hill at this year's CJ tournament.

I don't know how he slipped through the screening process.

Eric
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Sweet. Will is the bomb. One of the nicest quizbowl players ever... and handed Chris Ray his ass.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

The best thing about Will is how classy he is. If he handed you your ass, he wouldn't talk about it. He was just as courteous to me after kicking our asses in the PACE final as he was in a loss. He would never do something like get outbuzzed by someone on the final tossup of a semifinal game and wait 9 months to make some kind of feeble attempt at an insult to him. He also probably wouldn't make a craptacular comeback, but we can't all be all be as nice as Will, can we.

I really do wish Will the best, but I seriously doubt he'll need any well-wishing to win. He has the buzzer speed, knowledge, and patience to win on jeopardy. Also, as to why he "slipped through" the screening, I would imagine he had the genial thing going for him (in addition to all that "knowledge" stuff). Jeopardy does love it when you're genial. I prefer vitriolic hate, but what can you do.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

iambusyeating wrote:Sweet. Will is the bomb. One of the nicest quizbowl players ever... and handed Chris Ray his ass.
Now. Now. Chris was nice enough to go to that wedding last Saturday, or he might have put you away yet again. Chris and his RM team were better than we were last year, pure and simple. You were only able to eke out one victory against them last year in how many attempts? You made a gallant attempt in the semifinals at PACE, but in the end the better team won. Look on the bright side. Had you managed to pull out that game against Chris and his team, then it would have been YOU to whom Will would have done it. You should get over your acrimony by trying to redirect your animus to present challenges.

I look forward to watching Will compete. Any idea when it will be aired?
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

It isn't acrimony at all. When a team is as dominant as RM was last year its good to see the heavy underdog come out with a commanding win, especially if its as deserving a team as RC. Nothing personal at all.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

iambusyeating wrote: Nothing personal at all.
Good!
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

We don't know the air date yet but will keep you posted.

I am sorry this thread opened up a can of ugly. It seems to me that Will and Chris are somewhat even in ass-handing last year; I remember us being on the receiving end of an unholy beating by Chris and Co. at the fall 2005 TJ tournament. I think RM powered 13 of the first 18 TUs. Mighty.

Eric
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

jbarnes112358 wrote:
iambusyeating wrote:Sweet. Will is the bomb. One of the nicest quizbowl players ever... and handed Chris Ray his ass.
Now. Now. Chris was nice enough to go to that wedding last Saturday, or he might have put you away yet again. Chris and his RM team were better than we were last year, pure and simple. You were only able to eke out one victory against them last year in how many attempts? You made a gallant attempt in the semifinals at PACE, but in the end the better team won. Look on the bright side. Had you managed to pull out that game against Chris and his team, then it would have been YOU to whom Will would have done it. You should get over your acrimony by trying to redirect your animus to present challenges.
Everyone knows that Chris handed almost everyone their ass last year, except for the time at the end of the year when Will handed everyone and their brother their asses. Observations of old performances of quizbowl players/schools aren't necessarily a reflection of one's own performance or trash talking. People don't raise hell when Jay Feeley goes on Cold Pizza commenting on every NFL team. Oh well, in part thanks to Leo, perhaps by now I've gotten used to the Adult Swim that is the college game, what with all the "antics," Matt Weiner grudges, and talking smack...

By the way where/when did Will audition/try out for Jeopardy? He didn't make it to HSNCT last year so I'm wondering.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

He drove to Nashville and tried out.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

College Jeopardy Contestants

The shows will air April 30 to May 11.

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Awesome
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

A couple other former quizbowlers in that group:

Christine Kennedy from Fisher Catholic, Ohio's OAC and Small-school NAQT State Champions in 2006.

Pete Troyan -- Formerly of DCC.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Ashley Grand played for Torrey Pines last year.

Also, Cliff Galiher may be better known as the "Cliff Gaither" from our ICT team.

This looks like it's going to be one tough group.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Will's prelim show airs Thursday (may 3) wherever the hell you get Jeopardy.
unnecessarily hot
Lulu

Post by unnecessarily hot »

Elise (from UC Berkeley) plays Quiz Bowl over here, too, though not too recently as she's been busy. Interesting to see all these people on TV that I've crossed paths with on the QB circuit, high school and college.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

In response to Chris, Jeopardy!does like a person with a healthy measure of sarcasm and hatred in their system. I mean, I have absolutely no kindness in me, let alone geniality.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

brownboy79 wrote:...Jeopardy!does like a person with a healthy measure of sarcasm and hatred in their system.
Watch Will's interview.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

brownboy79 wrote:In response to Chris, Jeopardy!does like a person with a healthy measure of sarcasm and hatred in their system. I mean, I have absolutely no kindness in me, let alone geniality.
If only there were some way to tell them about my "intangibles."
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

I missed the show. Did he win?
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

yep
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Good job Cliff from UCLA
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

wd4gdz wrote:Good job Cliff from UCLA
Would this be Cliff Chang by any chance?
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

DaGeneral wrote:
wd4gdz wrote:Good job Cliff from UCLA
Would this be Cliff Chang by any chance?
No.