RESULTS: Cavalier Open (3/17) at UVA (Charlottesville, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
NRScout98
Lulu

RESULTS: Cavalier Open (3/17) at UVA (Charlottesville, VA)

Post by NRScout98 »

The Academic Competition Club at the University of Virginia will host the fourth annual Cavalier Open on March 17, 2007, in Charlottesville, VA.

This tournament will use NAQT question set IS-64. Each team is guaranteed at least six rounds of play, but most teams will play additional games.

Information regarding this tournament has been posted at http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbowl/cavopen.html

The registration deadline is on Tuesday, March 13th. Teams that register before March 3rd will receive a $20 discount for early registration. If you have any questions or concerns, please e-mail us at [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you next month!

Nick & Steve
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

We'll be doing our best, now that teams have started registering, to keep a running field list at http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbo ... tered.html

With Dorman and TJ already signed up, we're anticipating another strong field this year.
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

The early registration deadline has passed and 25 teams have already registered. They are listed at http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbo ... tered.html
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

For those keeping track at home, Mountain Vista Governor's School serves Frederick, Culpeper, Clarke, Warren, Rappahannock and Fauquier Counties, as well as the City of Winchester. In VHSL series events (and of course athletic events) they will play for their "home school." I know Warren County's old coach teaches there.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

StPickrell wrote:For those keeping track at home, Mountain Vista Governor's School serves Frederick, Culpeper, Clarke, Warren, Rappahannock and Fauquier Counties, as well as the City of Winchester. In VHSL series events (and of course athletic events) they will play for their "home school." I know Warren County's old coach teaches there.
not to hijack the thread, but is that a special rule just for them, or does that apply to others?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:not to hijack the thread, but is that a special rule just for them, or does that apply to others?
Most Governor's Schools are like that -- they spend 1/2 day at their home school and 1/2 day at the Governor's School. They play VHSL things at their home schools -- this and the New Horizons entry are the first I've seen the "part-time" Governor's Schools attend any tournaments.

Maggie Walker and Appomattox Regional Governor's School (ARGS) are the only Governor's Schools that are full VHSL members.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

StPickrell wrote:
Maggie Walker and Appomattox Regional Governor's School (ARGS) are the only Governor's Schools that are full VHSL members.
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology is another one, though they don't have the word "Governor's" in the name.

http://www.pen.k12.va.us/VDOE/Instructi ... demic.html
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

StPickrell wrote:
dsfcaptains2005 wrote:not to hijack the thread, but is that a special rule just for them, or does that apply to others?
Most Governor's Schools are like that -- they spend 1/2 day at their home school and 1/2 day at the Governor's School. They play VHSL things at their home schools -- this and the New Horizons entry are the first I've seen the "part-time" Governor's Schools attend any tournaments.

Yeah New Horizons almost came to the Col. Ebirt, would have been nice as it would have meant no byes for the Bushwick bracket. Also, don't forget about Chesapeake Bay Regional Governor's School, they've done BoB SE since it's inception, don't know if they ever do anything else though.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Freeman would be going,but, as it turns out, it would pretty much be a team of me, a la Leo at VCU yesterday. I may tag along with my friend's local team, though, and maybe help staff the tourney. And to get teams to go to Ocean Lakes the next weekend.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

I'll be coming back from the dead JUST for this tournament. See you there.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Sweet!
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

so is everything good to go? How do the numbers work out?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
MLWMathStar
Lulu

Post by MLWMathStar »

Quick results overview, I'm sure the TDs will have a more complete list later. Maggie Walker A went 12-0 for the day getting first (all other teams got at least 3 losses), and Dorman B won consolation (7th).

I do have to say this NAQT IS set was full of very strange questions. I'll leave out specifics on anything else, but math questions very frequently had cases of information overload.
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

MLWMathStar wrote:Quick results overview, I'm sure the TDs will have a more complete list later. Maggie Walker A went 12-0 for the day getting first (all other teams got at least 3 losses), and Dorman B won consolation (7th).

I do have to say this NAQT IS set was full of very strange questions. I'll leave out specifics on anything else, but math questions very frequently had cases of information overload.
Right. Apparently, this packet's math was desgined to bludgeon the players to death, until they didn't know what to work with to find an answer.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Full results from the playoff round robin:
1 - Gov A - 5-0
2 - TJ B - 3-2 (Losses to TJ A, Gov A)
3 - MLK Magnet - 3-2 (TJ B, Gov A)
4 - TJ A - 2-3 (Whitman, MLK, Gov A)
5 - Whitman - 1-4 (!TJ A)
6 - Dorman - 1-4 (!Whitman)

Kudos to Nick, Steve, and UVA for putting on yet another classy tournament.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

For those of you who might be interested in the single-elimination Small Schools Division Playoffs:

1 Cave Spring A - BYE
4 Auburn A def. 5 Cave Spring C (elim)
2 Covenant def. 7 Auburn B (elim)
3 Cave Spring B def. 6 Madison County (elim)

Cave Spring A def. Auburn A (elim)
Cave Spring B def. Covenant (elim) [close match - 190 to 185]

Cave Spring A def. Cave Spring B (elim)

Auburn A and Covenant played it out for 3rd and 4th places but I don't have the results of that match. Our team had a great time and thought this tournament was one of the best we've ever attended. Thanks and good luck to everyone.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

When will stats and results be posted?
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Did RM and/or Chattahoochee not attend?
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Chatahoochee was there, RM was not.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

jbarnes112358 wrote:When will stats and results be posted?
I'm George berry, and I support the query of this message.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
MLWMathStar
Lulu

Post by MLWMathStar »

Chattahoochee was in consolation and got 8th. They actually beat Dorman B in the consolation round robin, but then lost to Maggie Walker B probably due to exhaustion (they were a little slow on the buzzer that game). There was much tiebreak hullabaloo ending in them forfeiting a finals match to Dorman B and taking 8th instead so they could get out. I don't blame them.
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
yangsta
Wakka

Results

Post by yangsta »

Addressing previous questions/comments:
- Richard Montgomery (x2 teams) had to pull out at the last minute due to weather concerns.
- Mountain Vista Governor's School (x4 teams) also had to pull out due to weather concerns.
- Full stats are being posted.... in this post.

Explaining the format (for those who weren't there):

- Four pre-assigned sets of six teams for preliminary rounds robin
- All 24 teams play 2 rounds of seeded single elimination to get to Final 6
- Final 6 and Consolation 6 each had round robin to determine final standing
- Only final round robin games were used for final standing (prelim and single elimination records didn't matter)
- Final round robin tiebreaks:
--- If the two top teams at the end of the final round robin games have the same record, one-game final to determine the champion.
--- If more than two top teams have tied records, the statistical tiebreaker is head-to-head point differentials in the final/consolation round robin games will be used to determine the two teams that play in the championship final.
--- For other (non-top) teams that have tied records, head-to-head point differential will be used to determine final standings.

Open Division:
1. Maggie Walker A
2. Thomas Jefferson B
3. Martin Luther King
4. Thomas Jefferson A
5. Dorman A
6. Whitman
7. Dorman B
8. Chattahoochee
9. Maggie Walker B
10. Robinson
11. St. Anne's-Belfield
12. Thomas Jefferson D

Small Schools Division:
1. Cave Spring A
2. Cave Spring B
3. Covenant
4. Auburn A

Preliminary round robin team standings

Preliminary round robin individual statistics

Open Division playoff single elimination and round robin results (PDF)

Small Schools Division playoff single elimination results (PDF)

Sorry for the delay -- we had some slight confusion over who was responsible for posting stats.
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

Additionally, please feel free to email any feedback to [email protected] or, if you'd like to submit anonymously, use the comments field in the registration form at http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbowl/register (just ignore any emails that are automatically generated).

Thank you all for coming despite the weather concerns and we hope to see you again soon!
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

This was a well-run tournament - one of UVA's best ever. A few protests slowed the tournament by an hour or so it seemed. There were allegedly some factual errors in a couple of the questions. But, UVA should not be held accountable for that. Even so, we finished at a reasonable time.

The field was very strong. MLK and Whitman were impressive. It was the first time I had seen them in action this year. TJ juggled their lineups a little, creating an impressive B-team of non-seniors. (Watch out for them next year.) We already knew Dorman and Chattahoochee had excellent teams. I am sorry Richard Montgomery could not make it. We were also looking forward to meeting the other "Governor's School."

Oh, by the way, props to our A-team. Going undefeated in this field was no small feat.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

I almost ddin't notice the idea of TJ A's names. Until during our game, Evan Silberman decided his name was "Mehdi." Then it kinda clicked. I think thats the most original naming theme ive seen yet.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:I almost ddin't notice the idea of TJ A's names. Until during our game, Evan Silberman decided his name was "Mehdi." Then it kinda clicked. I think thats the most original naming theme ive seen yet.
Actually, we stole their names last year at RM, making their name theme not all that original.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Yeah we're idea-stealing losers.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Yeah Evan god.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Nobody stole anyone's idea. It was just payback.

Or perhaps it was just a case of imitation as the sincerest form of flattery.

Can't we all just feel flattered and get this thread back on topic?
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I wasn't reacting negatively, don't worry, Dr. Barnes. Should've put in a [/sarcasm] tag. Stupid the Internet, not conveying things.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F