NICKELODEON GAMESHOWS ARE THE FUCKING SHIT

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

NICKELODEON GAMESHOWS ARE THE FUCKING SHIT

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Discuss, bitches.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Legends of the Hidden Temple owns all. Especially Global Guts and Figure It Out.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

I used to watch that show whenever it was on. I thought the temple was real.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

FOR REALZ.
Hidden Temple, Global Guts, Double Dare, Figure it Out, Nick Arcade, What Would You Do...that's my childhood right there.

ASSERTION: Nickelodeon 1993-1999 was the best television ever to air. The final death knell was the cancellation of Angry Beavers in 2001.

From the 2007 JIAT finals:

TOSSUP
After a trip across a pool, the field was narrowed on the Steps of Knowledge, where the teams had to answer questions about the episode's backstory. This stage was followed by an opportunity for the remaining teams to collect Pendants of Life, which would protect them from the guards in the show's final challenge. Kirk Fogg and a talking Olmec head named Olmec hosted, FTP, what Nickelodeon game show in which contestants sought out semi-historical artifacts in an elaborate maze?

A: _Legends of the Hidden Temple_

BONUS
Don't get stuck in the Shrine of the Silver Monkey! Name these Nickelodeon game shows FTPE.

10: It went through several iterations, including a ``Global'' version which concluded every episode with a climb up the Super Aggro Crag. The winner received a ``glowing piece of radical rock.''

A: _GUTS_

10: It nominally featured a quiz portion, but the show's big draw was the slime-oriented physical challenges.

A: (Family) _Double Dare_

10: In the final phase of this video-game oriented show, the winning team played a game in front of a bluescreen, appearing to the audience like they were inside a video game.

A: _Nick Arcade_
Last edited by BuzzerZen on Wed May 16, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?

BuzzerZen wrote:FOR REALZ.
Hidden Temple, Global Guts, Double Dare, Figure it Out, Nick Arcade, What Would You Do...that's my childhood right there.

ASSERTION: Nickelodeon 1993-1999 was the best television ever to air. The final death knell was the cancellation of Angry Beavers in 2001.
QF fucking T

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Nick Arcade was significantly less cool after I found out they didn't actually go into the game. Plus those kids sucked at using the bluescreen.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008

What was the one where people were puppets.

BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:What was the one where people were puppets.
Wienerville. There was another quality show. I saw the guy live at the Kennedy Center's 25th anniversary.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

THIS ROCK IS READY TO ROLL, MOTHERFUCKERS
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Since we're posting questions, here's one I wrote from the 2006 UIUC ABT High School Solo

If for some reason you are in the Lightning Ball Room, the Cave of Size, or the Shrine of the Silver Monkey, you must be a contestant on this show. Hosted by Kirk Fogg, the other main character was voiced by Dee Baker and was an omnipotent talking stone head. In the endgame, contestants had three minutes to retrieve the artifact and exit the titular location while trying to avoid those dreaded guards. For ten points, name the Nickelodeon game show in which you will find Olmec and a Mayan ruin.
ANSWER: Legends of the Hidden Temple

I believe the death knell was the creation of 'Double Dare 2000.' God I hated that show.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

You know what's sad? I can hardly remember the original Double Dare or Guts because the Family/Global versions totally took over that part of my memory! What a shame... I'm pretty sure the originals were better.

Also, I used to love Nick Arcade, but then I think they moved it to an early AM timeslot or something and that was that for me.

AND Marc Summers was pretty much unbeatable as a host. But if the rumor about him getting Price is Right is true, it's just setting us up for disappointment. Nobody follows Bob Barker.

But most of all, the only thing possibly cooler than old school Nick gameshows is high schoolers who still think dropping the F bomb makes you a badass. Cuz it totally does. Fuck away, dude.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Finders fuckin Keepers. Ya, I said it.

I say fuck cause I say it, ho. What u gon do?

pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Question from the BC College Bowl Jam: Tournament Edition:

[quote]4) Born September 8, 1959 he played high school football at Eisenhower High School in Rialto, California. While his teammate Ronnie Lott went on to USC and later the pro-football Hall of Fame, this man chose to go to Cal State-Fullerton, where he was a member of the Delta-Chi fraternity. While never reaching the same level as Lott, he did become famous in his own right. In 1995, he played racquetball with Donald Trump and Tupac Shakur in a charity event. He has appeared in over 200 television commercials, as well as direct the upcoming movie Distortion. However, he will be most remembered as a gameshow host. You could tell what season the show was in by his pants: khaki shorts for season one, jeans for two and three. FTP who is this man, who gave out Pendants of Life to the children worthy enough to enter Olmec’s Temple, on the cult gameshow “Legends of the Hidden Temple?â€
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

All the tossups in this thread blow, and are either impossible until the last 2 words or contain giveaways in the first line. Discuss.

Edit: Actually, the first one isn't that bad.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

DaGeneral wrote:Since we're posting questions, here's one I wrote from the 2006 UIUC ABT High School Solo

If for some reason you are in the Lightning Ball Room, the Cave of Size, or the Shrine of the Silver Monkey, you must be a contestant on this show. Hosted by Kirk Fogg, the other main character was voiced by Dee Baker and was an omnipotent talking stone head. In the endgame, contestants had three minutes to retrieve the artifact and exit the titular location while trying to avoid those dreaded guards. For ten points, name the Nickelodeon game show in which you will find Olmec and a Mayan ruin.
ANSWER: Legends of the Hidden Temple

I believe the death knell was the creation of 'Double Dare 2000.' God I hated that show.
I think that "Shrine of the Silver Monkey" is way too early in that question. But I like.

Those shows did rock.
charlieDfromNKC wrote: ... FUCK...
You don't need to use fuck there. So don't. There is probably a word that you could use to make a much more emphatic statement, and you either don't know it or are being lazy. Given you, I'd go with lazy.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

I am watching GUTS right now. Another episode at 5:30, then 2 of Figure It Out, then 2 of Legends. Nick GaS is AWESOME! I'm also getting a Nicktoons channel, but it's very disappointing. They have Invader ZIM (excellent show) at like midnight, but most of the day is filled with crap like Kappa Mikey, Marvin Mystery, and Shuriken School . . . whatever the hell those are. Sucks, because, yeah, classic Nickelodeon IS the best thing ever. :(

Also, Make the Grade. A bit before my time, but I've caught GaS reruns, and the kids on there fucking SUCK.

I remember when I was like 5 getting up at 6 AM (or was it 7?) to watch Nick Arcade and then Family Double Dare. Sometimes I even got up early and watched the tail end of Mr. Wizard, haha. Anyway, I'm rambling nostalgic by this point, but yes . . . old Nick was great.

I think we should have classic Nickelodeon avatars.

Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Three points

1. This thread was clearly started by the OP as a shameless attempt to curry favor, knowing that pretty much everyone here is partial to the fucking awesome nick gameshows. Anyone else remember U2U? That thing was so bad it was criminally underrated.

2. Cave of Size = Meredith "Hug Girl" Johnson? Discuss.

3. Anyone know where to find state of grace on any of the like 1000 digital cable channels there are now? Seems practically impossible to find.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Leo: maybe with respect to the toss-up I posted you missed what tournament it came from.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Yeah, and the only other LotHT tossup I've ever seen started "The Red Jaguars, The Silver Snakes. . ." Guess why nobody knows how it ended. In addition, I think the Kirk Fogg tu not only sucked but constituted questionable quethics as someone on one of the house teams was evidently told the anecdote about Tupac before the tournament by a question writer.

Are people really analyzing why someone said "fuck?" Give me a break (a fucking break!), this is AHAN, bitches. Nobody ever said anything the numerous (and I mean numerous) times I've "dropped the bomb" here. I think everyone who's been swearing in this thread has made numerous posts throughout the forum that establish them as people who are not trying to seem "badass" or whatever on the quizbowl forum. I invoke Teitler's law of bitches calming the fuck down.

Also, the entire use of the phrase "drop the F-bomb" is ridiculous around here (fuckingly so!), and I move that "most profane poster" be added to the Stingray awards. In conclusion,

Fuck
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

DumbJaques wrote:Yeah, and the only other LotHT tossup I've ever seen started "The Red Jaguars, The Silver Snakes. . ." Guess why nobody knows how it ended. In addition, I think the Kirk Fogg tu not only sucked but constituted questionable quethics as someone on one of the house teams was evidently told the anecdote about Tupac before the tournament by a question writer.
It wasn't that they specifically told it; they'd shared it in the past, and the question author knew that people whom he had shared the anecdote with would be playing on the question against people without that advantage. It was more ignorance/stupidity/lack of thinking than an attempt to cheat.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Dude, chill. I'm the last person to criticize anybody for that stuff. But seriously, when your signature says I put the "stud" in "study", you're just asking for somebody to take a big steaming virtual crap on you for something...

I've got no problem when people use the word fuck, but when somebody uses it like they just figured out their mom quit reading the message board or something, I think it's stupid and I'm gonna say so. And if you disagree... well, you know.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

DumbJaques wrote: Are people really analyzing why someone said "fuck?" Give me a break (a fucking break!), this is AHAN, bitches. Nobody ever said anything the numerous (and I mean numerous) times I've "dropped the bomb" here. I think everyone who's been swearing in this thread has made numerous posts throughout the forum that establish them as people who are not trying to seem "badass" or whatever on the quizbowl forum. I invoke Teitler's law of bitches calming the fuck down.
It's more a matter of it coming off as trying too hard a lot of the time. And don't tell me what AHAN is, I am AHAN, fuckface (see that's how you do it, you call Chris Ray a fuckface).
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:I've got no problem when people use the word fuck, but when somebody uses it like they just figured out their mom quit reading the message board or something, I think it's stupid and I'm gonna say so. And if you disagree... well, you know.
Thats what I meant to say. But, I am too stupid and inept to put it in such words.

I use fuck on myriad occasions. But I don't say it just for the sheer fact that I am using the word "fuck".
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Requesting suggestions for a word filter for fuck
The Time Keeper
Auron

leftsaidfred wrote:Requesting suggestions for a word filter for fuck
banana
goat
tennis ball
Matt Weiner
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Monorail Cat
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Aside from the prominently already used "fark" and "gently caress", I would suggest "Jerry" and/or"Vinokurov".
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

falafel
firetruck
fife
Cwm
Jabberwock
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

fuck
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

If you're going to word filter fuck, you might as well word filter there to the incorrect their. At least that's funny.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Dolemite wrote:Matt Weiner
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
The Time Keeper
Auron

theMoMA wrote:If you're going to word filter fuck, you might as well word filter there to the incorrect their. At least that's funny.
Shut up, you.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dolemite wrote:
banana
goat
tennis ball
Matt Weiner
okay
The Time Keeper
Auron

I like the way you handled this.

Edit: I like the way you move.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

this is fucking ridiculous.

(Yes, I realize that's the whole point)
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dolemite wrote:I like the way you handled this.

I like what you to do babies.

Last edited by AKKOLADE on Wed May 16, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

broken fucking image, Fred
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

The filter for Banana etc. is just a joke right? We will be able to utter unfiltered "fucks" soon, right? That is 72% of the board's appeal.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

leftsaidfred wrote:

Is it bad that I know exactly who that was and what the situation that led to it was?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Imaged fixed!
Rothlover wrote:The filter for Banana etc. is just a joke right? We will be able to utter unfiltered "banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner" soon, right? That is 72% of the board's appeal.
banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner no, son, you better bet your banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner ass that this banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner word filter will be around for a long banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner time you banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

leftsaidfred wrote:Imaged fixed!
Rothlover wrote:The filter for Banana etc. is just a joke right? We will be able to utter unfiltered "banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner" soon, right? That is 72% of the board's appeal.
banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner no, son, you better bet your banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner ass that this banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner word filter will be around for a long banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner time you banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner
...banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner you. You banana goat tennis ball Matt Weiner shiny new penny Jason Mueller CBI strikeout butler.

Oh, and I appreciate the irony that the "Best of the Best" section has nothing in it. :grin: Come on, some of the *censored* we *censored* about could easily be considered as *censored* and say that we are that awful as to *censored* is just *censored*
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:

Is it bad that I know exactly who that was and what the situation that led to it was?
no
The Time Keeper
Auron

leftsaidfred wrote:
dsfcaptains2005 wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:

no
yes
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:Oh, and I appreciate the irony that the "Best of the Best" section has nothing in it. :grin: Come on, some of the *censored* we *censored* about could easily be considered as *censored* and say that we are that awful as to *censored* is just *censored*
Nah, I've just been busy and haven't go to it yet. It's not like the thing's been around for months or something.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dolemite wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:
dsfcaptains2005 wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:

no
yes
no
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

leftsaidfred wrote:
Dolemite wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:
dsfcaptains2005 wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:

no

Knowing
yes
no
knowing why he's kicking a baby into the crowd, in one of the more bizarre moments in WWE history, not involving the Boogeyman, is very important. You NEVER know when NAQT could bust out a question on it. :grin:
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Learn how to say fuck.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

theMoMA wrote:Learn how to say fuck.
But it's so hard! Which way does the U go? Fook? Fuhck? Fyuuk?
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia