2007 NAQT HSNCT Predictions

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Strongside
Rikku

2007 NAQT HSNCT Predictions

Post by Strongside »

With the NAQT HSNCT three weeks away, I figured I would start a thread for people to discus teams and indivduals, who will do well, who will surprise, etcetera.
Last edited by Strongside on Sun May 06, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, I have the Facebook group too...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

Based off of the statistics that have been posted, I would say that the polls are mostly accurate, with Maggie Walker at the head. As for who might be the biggest surprise, I think Eden Prairie has a chance to go far, but they have not played against any of the "traditional" powers. As for who has a chance to do moderately well from Minnesota, I would argue that the four best in the state are Eden Prairie, Wayzata, St. Thomas, and DeLasalle.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

By looking at the field, I'd have to say this is likely the strongest field of any quiz bowl tournament ever. I don't just mean that because of the number of teams, but also the quality of teams.

If no one noticed, every single one of the teams on the National Top-25 poll are attending. Not only that, but almost all of the "also receiving votes" teams are also attending.

Naturally, there will be some fodder at the HSNCT, but overall this is going to be an epic tournament.

I think it's really anyone's game. If the first "also receiving votes" team, Walt Whitman (who I suppose would be ranked #26) can knock off the #1 team, Maggie Walker, at a recent tournament, then I have to say that perhaps any team in the top 25 has a shot at the title this year.

It's going to be fun.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Well, Maggie Walker was missing a regular A-team player. But still, I agree with Lee.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Well, Maggie Walker was missing a regular A-team player. But still, I agree with Lee.
I didn't know that. Who was missing?

I think Mark Guerci.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

yea it was marc.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Georgia-South Carolina will be sending a strong contingent of teams with Dorman, James Island, and Aiken from SC and Chattahoochee, Central Gwinnett, Norcross, Parkview, Grayson, and Brookwood from Georgia.

I wonder if there is any other single school system that will have 5 schools represented at Nationals? Gwinnett County, GA will have five different school here this year. (All GA teams are from Gwinnett except Chattahoochee!)
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

jrbarry wrote:I wonder if there is any other single school system that will have 5 schools represented at Nationals? Gwinnett County, GA will have five different school here this year. (All GA teams are from Gwinnett except Chattahoochee!)
Not sure if they do this year but Montgomery county in Maryland often sends a big contingent.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

iambusyeating wrote:
jrbarry wrote:I wonder if there is any other single school system that will have 5 schools represented at Nationals? Gwinnett County, GA will have five different school here this year. (All GA teams are from Gwinnett except Chattahoochee!)
Not sure if they do this year but Montgomery county in Maryland often sends a big contingent.
I believe Montgomery County sent 5 teams before, but not this year. This year Whitman, RM (X2) and Walter Johnson are going to PACE and/or NAQT Nationals for a grand total of only 4. The other 4 teams going to nationals from Maryland are from other jurisdictions. This is probably record attendance for Maryland's non-Montgomery County teams. Last year's National Championship winning Team Maryland only included players from Montgomery County (not due to exclusion of other jurisdictions, simply because the 6 best were from here). Of course, many if not most players from DC's Gonzaga, Georgetown Day School, Maret, and Sidwell Friends are from Montgomery County.

Other notable Montgomery County teams that have attended national tournaments and performed well include Blair, Blake, Rockville, Sidwell Friends (which has a campus in Montgomery County and D.C.) and to a lesser extent Churchill.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Doesn't the entire state of Minnesota count? :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

Out of curiosity, is this the biggest quiz bowl tournament in the history of quiz bowl? It's going to be interesting to see if 10 preliminary rounds are going to be enough to seed all the qualifying teams out of the initial pool of 160 appropriately for the playoffs on Sunday.

Also, is the Eden Prairie A team this year comparable to the Thomas Jefferson A team of 2005?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

killbill_07 wrote:Out of curiosity, is this the biggest quiz bowl tournament in the history of quiz bowl? It's going to be interesting to see if 10 preliminary rounds are going to be enough to seed all the qualifying teams out of the initial pool of 160 appropriately for the playoffs on Sunday.

Also, is the Eden Prairie A team this year comparable to the Thomas Jefferson A team of 2005?
I think that there have been slightly bigger tournaments at Brookwood. But, probably not of this caliber.

I haven't seen Eden Prairie, and they may be great, but they are not even CLOSE to TJ 2005. I promise.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

killbill_07 wrote:Out of curiosity, is this the biggest quiz bowl tournament in the history of quiz bowl? It's going to be interesting to see if 10 preliminary rounds are going to be enough to seed all the qualifying teams out of the initial pool of 160 appropriately for the playoffs on Sunday.

They'll probably be able to get 60 playoff teams with records of 6-4 or better out of a 160 team field. But I'm pretty sure that Brookwood High School has, at some point in its history, had more than 160 teams. I don't have any of my old copies of Brookwood tournament programs in front of me, though, so either Rick would have to answer this one or it'll have to wait until I get home tonight.

I haven't seen anyone from Minnesota play this year, so I'm very interested to see what happens.

Sometime next week, I'll post my predicted 60 playoff teams based on some of my quantitative ratings with some qualitative thought thrown in. I'm not going to make any attempt to seed the 60, though. At this tournament, that's very much a crapshoot.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

killbill_07 wrote:Also, is the Eden Prairie A team this year comparable to the Thomas Jefferson A team of 2005?
Eden Prairie has lost some games this year, haven't they?
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Matt Weiner wrote:
killbill_07 wrote:Also, is the Eden Prairie A team this year comparable to the Thomas Jefferson A team of 2005?
As far as I know, they've lost twice:

10/28/2006 (@ St. Olaf): Lost 315-215 to Orono A in the semifinals
12/9/2006 (@ Minnesota): Lost 285-245 to Minnetonka A in the quarterfinals

I don't have details on who they defeated or how many games they won at NAQT Minnesota, but I have them at 56-2 on the season.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Who have they played outside of MN?
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

StPickrell wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:
Who have they played outside of MN?
To my knowledge, here's who they've played outside of Minnesota:

Hudson B (Hudson, WI) (3-10 on season): W 510-45
Regis B (Eau Claire, WI) (1-5): W 505-45
Hudson A (Hudson, WI) (2-12): W 525-(-5)
Greater Sioux Falls Home School A (Sioux Falls, SD) (25-9): W 525-110

That's it as far as I know.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

Byko wrote: I don't have details on who they defeated or how many games they won at NAQT Minnesota, but I have them at 56-2 on the season.
They were undefeated at the NAQT State tournament in the prelims and won the tournament. In the MNHSQB League play, they were undefeated as well.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

I think that New Trier (and other Illinois teams) will do very well. I never really considered them a top-tier team until last week, when I personally got destroyed by them and saw them beat DCC quite easily. Since New Trier claims to not be the best in Illinois (having gone 0-3 against Bloomington this year), I think we could see a few Illinois teams in the top twenty.

For me... I'm hoping that Culver makes the playoffs. If we do that, I'll be happy.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote: To my knowledge, here's who they've played outside of Minnesota:

Hudson B (Hudson, WI) (3-10 on season): W 510-45
Regis B (Eau Claire, WI) (1-5): W 505-45
Hudson A (Hudson, WI) (2-12): W 525-(-5)
Greater Sioux Falls Home School A (Sioux Falls, SD) (25-9): W 525-110

That's it as far as I know.
Ok... They beat the crap out of those teams. But, it doesn't look like those teams were exactly powerhouses. TJ A 2005 beat the best teams in the country that bad.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

quizbowllee wrote:Ok... They beat the crap out of those teams. But, it doesn't look like those teams were exactly powerhouses. TJ A 2005 beat the best teams in the country that bad.
I tried to draw a comparison but the data is kind of scanty; as best I can tell, Eden Prairie has only played in one tournament on regular NAQT questions this year that posted stats, as the Minnesota state championship hasn't put up stats yet.

In the Gopher Invitational, Eden Prairie had a BC of 23.88 and a powers per tossup heard of 0.25, and lost to Minnetonka in the quarterfinals.

In the NAQT Virginia championship from 2005, TJ had a BC of 25.54, a powers per tossup head of 0.20. While the link does not contain playoff scores, I read the final game at this tournament and can tell you that TJ beat the #2 team in the state tournament, Princess Anne, by a score of 700 to 105.

So, Eden Prairie has better powers, TJ had better BC, but TJ completely blew away even the other top-tier teams while Eden Prairie has dropped two games this year.

Once nationals are over there will be some better data to compare between TJ and whoever wins, but no matter who it ends up being, they have already been eliminated from contending from TJ's record of marching completely undefeated through every tossup-bonus format tournament that they sent their full A team to, including both NAQT and PACE nationals.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Matt Weiner wrote: So, Eden Prairie has better powers, TJ had better BC, but TJ completely blew away even the other top-tier teams while Eden Prairie has dropped two games this year.
Also, I would imagine that the set TJ played was much more difficult, at least in terms of powers.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

As to the fact that Whitman beat handicapped Gov A, even our A team (Freeman) was able to beat a Mark-less Gov A (@ Ocean Lakes). Not to say Whitman is bad.

As to the strength of the field, having "played" (read 'beat to death with my own skull by') against many of the top teams, i definately think this is the DEEPEST tourney ever.

As to Eden Prairie, I think the only way to compare would be DCC's coach, if they've played them.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Brookwood Invitational Scholars Bowl had 168 teams competing one year back in the 1990s. Since 9-11, we've ranged from 120 to 140 teams in the BISB.
Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe
Wakka

Post by Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:As to the fact that Whitman beat handicapped Gov A, even our A team (Freeman) was able to beat a Mark-less Gov A (@ Ocean Lakes). Not to say Whitman is bad.
To be fair, we beat Gonzaga by a pretty large margin at the same tournament (and yes, Ted was most certainly there). And the UMD tournament had a considerably more academic distribution, so it's not like we won because of speed or memorizing stock clues. In relation to the poll, it's not like Maggie Walker is the first upset we've pulled - we've beaten Chattahoochee and TJ A, as well. I wouldn't argue that we're better than those teams at all , particularly with the round to round vagaries and indecipherable distribution of NAQT packets, but I think we're in general better than we're given credit for.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

At the MN state championship, EP A had a bonus conversion in the mid 24s. I believe the tournament was held on IS67.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Wigner's friend wrote:
dsfcaptains2005 wrote:As to the fact that Whitman beat handicapped Gov A, even our A team (Freeman) was able to beat a Mark-less Gov A (@ Ocean Lakes). Not to say Whitman is bad.
To be fair, we beat Gonzaga by a pretty large margin at the same tournament (and yes, Ted was most certainly there). And the UMD tournament had a considerably more academic distribution, so it's not like we won because of speed or memorizing stock clues. In relation to the poll, it's not like Maggie Walker is the first upset we've pulled - we've beaten Chattahoochee and TJ A, as well. I wouldn't argue that we're better than those teams at all , particularly with the round to round vagaries and indecipherable distribution of NAQT packets, but I think we're in general better than we're given credit for.
Oh, absolutely. I remember when you all beat us to bloody pulps. I was just saying that the times Guerci hasn't been there were times when they were beatable.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

In response to that question a while ago, Kentucky has 8 teams going.
Central Hardin, Danville, Russell, Dunbar x2, Simon Kenton, MadNoHo and Paintsville. No Manual though. Interesting considering they were 12th last year and 7th the year before.
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

quizbowllee wrote:

I think that there have been slightly bigger tournaments at Brookwood. But, probably not of this caliber.

I haven't seen Eden Prairie, and they may be great, but they are not even CLOSE to TJ 2005. I promise.
We aren't even CLOSE to TJ 2005. I can't understand how a team can be that good... Moreover, it's going to be our first time at a National Tournament, so that might be a setback.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Wigner's friend wrote:
but I think we're in general better than we're given credit for.
That is definitely a true statement.

Granted, we are a better team with Mark than without, but even with Mark there is an excellent chance that you would have beat us in that game at UMD.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote: I was just saying that the times Guerci hasn't been there were times when they were beatable.
Yes, but we were also beatable when Mark is there, by teams like Stuyvesant, RM B, and TJ (A or B), while nearly losing to teams like Gonzaga, RM A, State College and others. While it is flattering that people voted us number 1, and based on our season we probably deserve to be there, I suppose. But, we are definitely beatable and there are numerous teams capable of doing so. I believe nationals are wide open this year. The team that prevails will not only have to be really good but will need a bit of luck to go all the way to the championship. This is especially true given the unpredictable nature of an NAQT packet. I liken it to the NCAA basketball tournament in this regard. Upsets frequently happen, and the favorites do not always come out on top.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

All I can predict is that Theodore Gioia will perform miraculously.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I agree with the dancing chicken again.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:All I can predict is that Theodore Gioia will perform miraculously.
Is that the same a performing miracles?
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

iambusyeating wrote:
gonzagaeagleahy wrote:All I can predict is that Theodore Gioia will perform miraculously.
No, but he'll do that too.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:
iambusyeating wrote:
No, but he'll do that too.
If I remember my religious education correctly, it only takes 3 miracles for sainthood. I'm just saying.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Byko wrote:If I remember my religious education correctly, it only takes 3 miracles for sainthood. I'm just saying.
If he were martyred at NAQT Nationals, only one miracle would be needed. He would need two miracles otherwise.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

StPickrell wrote:
Byko wrote:If I remember my religious education correctly, it only takes 3 miracles for sainthood. I'm just saying.
If he were martyred at NAQT Nationals, only one miracle would be needed. He would need two miracles otherwise.
If he "martyred" himself in the :chip: war room, could he be canonized immediately?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Please let's not say things like that. I need his help with the Writers Bootcamp (which I think can qualify as a miracle :) ).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

E.T. Chuck wrote:I need his help with the Writers Bootcamp (which I think can qualify as a miracle :) ).
He only needs one more then.
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Question: Will we be able to see or hear cicadas in Chicago? That would be pretty sweet.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Hopper wrote:
StPickrell wrote:
If he "martyred" himself in the :chip: war room, could he be canonized immediately?
I imagine he could be canonized immediately if there were a miracle accompanying his martyrdom. However, wouldn't there have to be witnesses or something?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

We are all witnesses.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Okay, time to start some more debate.

Last year, 3/8 of the HSNCT field of 128 teams made it into the playoffs with 6-4 records. So, based on that same fraction, here are the 60 teams, based on some quantitative and qualitative analysis, that I am predicting will be in this year's playoffs (listed in alphabetical order):

Bloomington (IL)
Brindlee Mountain A (AL)
Brookwood A (GA)
Brookwood B (GA)
Central Gwinnett (GA)
Charter A (DE)
Chattahoochee (GA)
Cistercian (TX)
Danville (KY)
Detroit Catholic Central A (MI)
Detroit Catholic Central B (MI)
Dorman A (SC)
Dorman B (SC)
Dunbar A (KY)
Dunbar B (KY)
E.O. Smith A (CT)
East Lansing A (MI)
Eden Prairie A (MN)
Eden Prairie B (MN)
Garfield Heights (OH)
George Mason (VA)
Georgetown Day (DC)
Gonzaga (DC)
Governor's School A (VA)
Governor's School B (VA)
Hanover (NH)
Harrison A (IN)
Hunter (NY)
James Island (SC)
Lisgar (ON)
Livingston (NJ)
Madisonville-North Hopkins (KY)
Maine South (IL)
MLK Magnet (TN)
Moravian (PA)
New Trier (IL)
North Kansas City (MO)
Novi (MI)
Orono (MN)
Raleigh Charter (NC)
Richard Montgomery A (MD)
Richard Montgomery B (MD)
Rockford Auburn (IL)
Russell (KY)
Saint Anthony Village (MN)
Santa Monica (CA)
Shady Side (PA)
St. Ignatius (IL)
St. John's (TX)
St. Thomas (MN)
State College A (PA)
State College B (PA)
Stuyvesant A (NY)
Thomas Jefferson A (VA)
Thomas Jefferson B (VA)
Troy (MI)
Walnut Hills (OH)
Walt Whitman (MD)
Wayzata A (MN)
Wheaton North (IL)

Close behind and definitely within striking distance are these 20 teams:
Aiken (SC)
Arcadia A (CA)
Benton (AR)
Cave Spring (VA)
Champlain Valley Union (VT)
Charter B (DE)
Chaska (MN)
Cretin-Derham (MN)
Edmond Memorial (OK)
Eleanor Roosevelt (MD)
Greater Sioux Falls Home School Association (SD)
Hill-Murray (MN)
Minnetonka (MN)
Mound Westonka (MN)
Norcross (GA)
Parkview Arts and Sciences Magnet (AR)
Rancho Bernardo (CA)
Savannah (MO)
Simon Kenton (KY)
Wayzata B (MN)

Okay, fire away--I'll try to defend myself.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

The generally unpredictable lineup configuration/whatever of Charter A/B notwithstanding, that list looks pretty good. I personally think Eleanor Roosevelt could easily put together a 6-4 record, depending on their schedule.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I don't think every Illinois team in the field is worthy of making the playoffs. I wasn't that impressed with St. Ignatius at NAQT State and Wheaton North is too heavy on math for me to consider them as playoff contenders. I won't attempt to predict which ones it'll be, but I think that no more than four of the six make it into the playoffs.

I would say I think Liberty can go 6-4. I think they are above Savannah.

jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

The list looks very well done, although Minnesota looks a little over-represented to me. There aren't many stats out there for Fisher Catholic (OH), but with their best lineup they have a very good chance of making playoffs.