RESULTS: Maggie Walker wins 2007 HSNCT!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Melonman64
Lulu

Post by Melonman64 »

Do we have any idea who's in quarter finals right now? The schedule says that's where they would be right now, but nothing is on time at any quiz bowl tournament, ever.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

They're probably more on-time than you think. Rounds only take 20 minutes long, and unless there is a protracted overtime, there shouldn't be delays.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

quizbowllee wrote:It is VERY obvious to me now that losing an early round makes it much easier to make the playoffs.
There would be two reasons why I can think this might be the case: first, you duck many of the "better" teams; and second, you start playing with a sense of urgency earlier. From my admittedly limited and somewhat irrelevant experience, I think both of these are partially valid.

First: "ducking better teams": It is true that losing an early round to an inferior opponent allows you to avoid playing against better ones. If you then dominate an even weaker opponent in the next round, you probably bump yourself to the top of the list of teams with your record, which means you get a weaker team in the next round, etc. However, beating an inferior opponent in a low-scoring affair puts you at the mercy of some team that absolutely creamed some other poor team, putting you near the bottom of the list of teams with your record.

Most early rounds work by placing teams into "brackets" and having a set power match schedule from there. There is no clear-cut advantage to losing here, except to duck a better team and set yourself up for a higher seed when inter-bracket power matching starts.

However, from my experience the quality of teams you play is not significantly affected by dropping early games. For instance in 2003 we ducked DCC in Round 1, but had to play 3 of the teams that tied for 8th with us by the time the prelims had ended. Unless NAQT does something weird like they did last year where it is virtually guaranteed that some poor team starts out 5-2 and misses the playoffs, these should balance out eventually. You may duck the tougher teams early, but that won't mean you won't have to play them later.

Second is the issue of urgency. In 2002 (back when you needed 7 wins to have a chance of making the playoffs) we started 1-2, caught a weaker team, recovered, and got to 3-3. At this point the sense of urgency (i.e. lose another game and you're out of the playoffs) kicked in while we were still playing arguably weaker teams. The earlier this starts (against teams that arguably shouldn't be, for instance, 3-4), the easier it is to start picking up some momentum. If you're going the other way (e.g. from 4-1 to 4-4), it's a lot harder to kick into that next gear when it really counts. And what happens if you run into an even better team that's been similarly "accidentally sandbagging"?

However, how big is momentum over the grand scheme of the tournament? How much does losing to a good team in rounds 1-3 vs 4-6 vs. 7-10 mean? And now, with teams having several byes over the course of the tournament, it should be harder for teams to reasonably pick up a full head of steam.

So, I can see why each of these is a valid reason why good teams will have an easier time making the playoffs if they lose early than similarly good teams who win early, but I don't think this is the determining factor.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

This info is old by now, but it's more current than anything else here:
5th round pairings
Undefeated:
Walker v Whitman
State College v Montgomery
One Loss:
DCC v Moravian
Santa Monica v Walnut Hills
TJ B v Gonzaga
NKC v Wilmington Charter
Dorman v East Lansing
TJ A v MLK
Eden Prairie v Dorman B
New Trier v Troy

New Trier lost to Troy, and we had lost earlier to Whitman. NKC lost to Wilmington. That's what I know. A dominant showing by the East Coast.

The top individuals from yesterday were somebody from MLK and then Charlie from NKC.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Dr. Chuck wrote:I'm sure there are high schools in Illinois that could hold that many games at once, but I'm not sure if the auditoriums would be big enough.
The room for the opening meeting yesterday morning was not big enough (though that could have been solved by opening up some temporary walls, which was not done), and there are some high school auditoriums that would be big enough.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

do they have preliminary standings on the site too?
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Congrats to Maggie Walker A. I just refreshed and it appears they defeated State College A in the first game to go undefeated in the playoffs.
Stained Diviner
Auron

1. Maggie Walker
2. State College
3. Dorman & TJ
5. Whitman, Wilmington Charter, and Montgomery
8. Troy, Dorman B, DCC, Santa Monica, Gonzaga
13. Moravian, Walnut Hills, TJ B, NKC, East Lansing, MLK, Eden Prairie, New Trier
21. Eden Prairie B, Pingry, James Island, Chattahoochee, Georgetown, Shady Side, Cave Spring, Stuyvesant, State College B, Brindlee Mountain B, Aiken, Minnetonka
33. Wayzata, Lisgar, Livingston, Montgomery B, Hunter, MW B, St Ignatius, Bergen, Rancho Bernardo, MNH, Arcadia, Dunbar, Wheaton North, Maine South, Brookwood, Raleigh Charter
49. Arcadia B, Danville, Wayzata B, East Lansing B, DeLaSalle, Ransom Everglades, Columbus, Bloomington, George Mason, Norcross, Pensacola, Parkview, Garfield Heights
Nav
Lulu

Post by Nav »

Call me picky but I'm curious... if this is setup as a double-elimination tournament (which it looks like it is), why have a 3rd place game? In double-elims 3rd place is already determined...
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Nav wrote:Call me picky but I'm curious... if this is setup as a double-elimination tournament (which it looks like it is), why have a 3rd place game? In double-elims 3rd place is already determined...
Nein
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

Nav wrote:Call me picky but I'm curious... if this is setup as a double-elimination tournament (which it looks like it is), why have a 3rd place game? In double-elims 3rd place is already determined...
Though I do not know for sure, I believe that the third place game is necessary because of the cross-bracket game in the eighth round. TJ A, at that point, was in the loser's bracket, and Gov A was in the winner's bracket. However, rather than have one of the teams in the loser's bracket and Gov A both have a bye, one of the teams in the loser's bracket was paired with the remaining team in the winner's bracket.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

dschafer wrote:Though I do not know for sure, I believe that the third place game is necessary because of the cross-bracket game in the eighth round. TJ A, at that point, was in the loser's bracket, and Gov A was in the winner's bracket. However, rather than have one of the teams in the loser's bracket and Gov A both have a bye, one of the teams in the loser's bracket was paired with the remaining team in the winner's bracket.
Exactly right, Dan. We ended up beating Dorman in that game, so the top 4 in order are Gov, State College, TJ, and Dorman
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Philip Marschall
Lulu

Post by Philip Marschall »

The best parts of NAQT were the various jokes made before and during matches by the moderators.
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Congrats to Maggie Walker, who basically crushed everyone on Sunday (if the playoff scores mean anything), especially us in the finals (getting over twice our score). Also, I felt that we had many close games against many teams of great caliber, showing how great the field was this year, but MW was above and beyond anyone else in the field.

Congradulations!

It was a great year for us, but all we ever seemed to managed was 2nd in nearly every tournament. I'll miss high school quizbowl. I'm not looking forward to memorizing the college "canon".
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

Yeah. Maggie pretty much cleaned up. Besides them the next six-to-ten teams were at close skill. A deep field and an enjoyable tournament
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

A hearty well done to those teams who represented the Commonwealth of Virginia!
Lukey's Boat
Lulu

Post by Lukey's Boat »

Congratulations to everybody that went to Nationals this year, it was a great tournament. A round of applause especially to Maggie Walker, that was brilliant.

Good luck in future tournaments everyone :grin:

Also, does anyone know if they're going to post slightly more reader-friendly stats and such on the NAQT site?
Liz F.
Michigan Technological University
Formerly East Lansing H.S.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Lukey's Boat wrote:Also, does anyone know if they're going to post slightly more reader-friendly stats and such on the NAQT site?
The playoff results page (with scores) probably won't change from how it is now. The prelim results are up, though they haven't linked it yet:

http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2007/results/standings.html

One thing I'm wondering--did Sand Rock just leave and forfeit the last two matches after losing to Dixie County?
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

A developing discussion on early losses in powermatching has been split from this thread. For now, I've kept it in National Tournaments, though it may eventually go to Theory.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
JGittings
Kimahri

Congratulations to the victors and well done all.

Post by JGittings »

The Maggie Walker team deserves to be remembered as one of the legendaries. I feel that I have also been privileged to accompany a truly great team this year -- the product of many years of work and growth and no small dedication to excellence. While congratulating MW, I must tell my own team and the quiz bowl community publicly that this State College team of 2007 is also one of the great ones ever. extremely capable, very fast, much improved even over last September, balanced and brave -- and right in there on most questions , just a shade behind MW, whether or not the scores reflected that.

Overall, deep field -- the usual suspects and lots of up and coming programs also. Keep the good questions coming.

My graduating kids, --- don't be strangers... you'll be missed. you are being missed already... - Alums -- good to see you : )) and quiz bowl junkies..... you keep rockin' .. julie :smile:
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

So does anyone know what the deal was with the camera crew?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Lukey's Boat
Lulu

Post by Lukey's Boat »

ikillkenny wrote:So does anyone know what the deal was with the camera crew?
I was sitting around playing cards when someone came over to us and basically said, "I'm making a documentary, can I take you guys' picture?" I have no idea when/how anyone is going to see the thing, but I'd assume that's what the cameras were all about...
Liz F.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Technically, producers of a documentary must have a waiver and release form to be able to show the footage. Even if it's a news crew, they need to show credentials and get information from you to get your permission to be on camera.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

They were in our room (306) filming during the State College and Raleigh Chapter match. Micheal Napier (FL) asked them and we were both told that they were filming a documentary that NAQT was either helping with or allowing to be filmed... I think there was a thread on here a few months back about it...
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

The camera crews were employees of a media company that NAQT hired to create some sort of video thing that would allow NAQT to promote itself to possible corporate sponsors, TV producers, and filmmakers. None of it is actually going to be used in any sort of publicly distributed thing, or so I was told.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

Stained Diviner
Auron

The camera crews were following eight teams more than the rest. Those teams signed waivers, had interviews with the crew Friday night, and had a few matches recorded. We were one of the eight teams--I think we were selected because we are a school that people in the Chicago area have heard of. Many of the teams followed were elite teams, but not all of them. Hentzel selected teams based on what he thought would make interesting stories.

I believe there was a twofold purpose: they were going to produce a video for NAQT to use to attract corporate sponsorship (which NAQT would use to lower entry fees for teams where that is an issue and/or give scholarships to top teams a la PAC), and the company the crew works for was going to try to get somebody to pay for the production and release of a documentary based on the tournament.
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

Seemed like there were a lot of kids running around with those headsets, so I didn't know if it was some school-run or student-run operation.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Lukey's Boat wrote:
ikillkenny wrote:So does anyone know what the deal was with the camera crew?
I was sitting around playing cards when someone came over to us and basically said, "I'm making a documentary, can I take you guys' picture?" I have no idea when/how anyone is going to see the thing, but I'd assume that's what the cameras were all about...
Yea, they interviewed my coach during our lunch break on Saturday, and he mentioned that our team was on a lunch break, and that his captain (me) was sitting behind the camera people playing Magic... and then they swung around right as I had taken a big bite of Chinese, just to get some footage of what "Magic" was.

In each teams packet they included waivers for each team to fill out, and in addition they carried around copies for people being interviewed/filmed to fill out.
Lukey's Boat
Lulu

Post by Lukey's Boat »

3D Lemmings wrote:In each teams packet they included waivers for each team to fill out, and in addition they carried around copies for people being interviewed/filmed to fill out.
Mmhm, I vaguely remember those forms in the folder. Oops, grand timing for them to turn and film you, huh? :oops:
Liz F.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Re: Congratulations to the victors and well done all.

Post by jbarnes112358 »

JGittings wrote:The Maggie Walker team deserves to be remembered as one of the legendaries. I feel that I have also been privileged to accompany a truly great team this year -- the product of many years of work and growth and no small dedication to excellence. While congratulating MW, I must tell my own team and the quiz bowl community publicly that this State College team of 2007 is also one of the great ones ever. extremely capable, very fast, much improved even over last September, balanced and brave -- and right in there on most questions , just a shade behind MW, whether or not the scores reflected that.
Thanks for the compliments. Our Maggie Walker team this year probably will be remembered as a great one. I am still in awe of how well they performed down the stretch this year. It was a culmination of four years of passionate quizbowl for four kids who I have been honored to watch develop, not just as players, but as fine young men.

As for State College, what a class act! They too should be remembered as a great team. They always seemed to be in it to the bitter end in every tournament. They beat everyone else they faced in this extremely strong field. The State College program is a model of consistently, probably more than any team out there. I know first hand what it feels like to have a great team that comes so close. Our 2000 and 2004 teams were also amazing teams but were stymied by State College and Thomas Jefferson, respectively. Several other of our former teams got tantalizingly close. This year we were lucky enough to finally break through. I guess it was just our turn to reach the top.

To all those teams who will be attending PACE, remember that you will have another shot at us. Recent history has proven that even the best of teams can win at HSNCT only to come up short at NSC.
Last edited by jbarnes112358 on Mon May 28, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Congratulations to all the teams, especially Maggie Walker, for their performances!
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Congrats to all of the participants. I'm sorry I couldn't attend this time, but I haven't quite severed myself from quizbowl yet so I might try to work at one of these eventually.

And a special congratulations to Dr. John and all of the MW people. They've had some incredible teams over the years and have won both PACE and Panasonic in the past, but now that elusive NAQT title is finally theirs. Again, excellent job.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Ditzy Blonde
Lulu

Post by Ditzy Blonde »

CONGRATULATIONS to all! :grin: Everyone is a winner for just being there. A special congrats to Maggie Walker...I am most impressed by just looking at the stats. Unfortunately, I was not there to enjoy, but my husband and daughter had a great time and said it was a very well run tournament. To have 160 teams, it appears there were few, if any, major glitches!

I look forward to hopefully bringing our team(s) next year and getting to see a lot of these teams in action.

Good luck to all graduating seniors. And, good luck and best wishes to all teams for the 2007-2008 academic year.

Mrs. D.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

As everyone has said, congratulations to everyone, especially Maggie Walker and State College! You guys are both amazing, and I can only hope to be half as good as you all. We had to play Maggie Walker in round 4 of the playoffs, and they gave us the nastiest thrashing NKC's ever had with a good team. WOW!

I will post more about our schedule in the losing early forum, because we had a problem where we got knocked out earlier than I thought we should in the playoffs because we won our first 3 games. And I think we did get an easier ride for losing early on Saturday.

It was really cool to actually meet a lot of the users here, and next year I plan on actually staying in the hotel so I'll probably meet more of you.

My proudest achievement is tying Douglas Yetman for most negs (although his negs/correct tossup ratio is vastly superior to mine :grin: )

I am certainly looking forward to next year, when Missouri won't be restricting our attendance at NAQT and PACE, and when there should be a lot of monster teams if the number of returning players that dominate top 20 teams is any indication. Unfortunately, there's no PACE for NKC this year.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

What, no in depth discussion of the questions yet? I'm disappointed. :cool:
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Wall of Ham wrote:It was a great year for us, but all we ever seemed to managed was 2nd in nearly every tournament. I'll miss high school quizbowl. I'm not looking forward to memorizing the college "canon".
This may be a little off-topic, but I just want to encourage you to keep playing at the collegiate level. I don't know what school you're going to next year, but given that you were part of the second-place team at NCT this year, I would say that you probably have a strong background in the high school canon (no scare quotes) and have the opportunity to become a very good college player as well.

Congrats to Maggie Walker, who were quite impressive. I hope to see this year's seniors on the circuit next year.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Well, I had oodles of fun, anyway. I'm thrilled with our third place finish, considering the teams who finished ahead of us. I'm excited for our team's prospects next year. I really can't believe I've got only one high school quiz bowl tournament to go.

If we're going to discuss questions, we'll need to put a spoiler warning in the thread title, since some events plan on using the questions in the coming month or so.

(PS: thx Allison!)
Last edited by BuzzerZen on Tue May 29, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'm curious, is there a reason our team is not listed as playing a full 10 games on the stats, along with many others?

-EDIT-
By my own informal calculation I now have me at about 82 pts/20 and Dallas at 85.77.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:I'm curious, is there a reason our team is not listed as playing a full 10 games on the stats, along with many others?

-EDIT-
By my own informal calculation I now have me at about 82 pts/20 and Dallas at 85.77.
My guess to why that happened was an error by either a scorekeeper or the person entering the stats writing the wrong number of tossups heard for that team in a certain round.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

I was wondering the same thing. I think that it might be because some games had less than 20 tossups.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I did hear that there were a couple of games that only 19 tossups were heard.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

grapesmoker wrote:
Wall of Ham wrote:It was a great year for us, but all we ever seemed to managed was 2nd in nearly every tournament. I'll miss high school quizbowl. I'm not looking forward to memorizing the college "canon".
This may be a little off-topic, but I just want to encourage you to keep playing at the collegiate level. I don't know what school you're going to next year, but given that you were part of the second-place team at NCT this year, I would say that you probably have a strong background in the high school canon (no scare quotes) and have the opportunity to become a very good college player as well.
From what I heard talking to State College B, at least a few members of the team are looking to establish a program at Penn State again.

Of course, I may have been misinformed. See the "Harvard rumor" in the Sun 'n Fun Mirror post.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
nurgles_herald
Lulu

Post by nurgles_herald »

Yup. I'm trying to get a Penn State knowledge masters team back together, although it'll be in a larval phase, so don't expect Penn State Quizbowl to be something scary next year. Or the year after that. Or the year after that.
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

As everyone has already said, congrats to all the top finishers and especially Maggie Walker. It was a pleasure to watch them and the rest of the great teams there in the final rounds play. It was pretty remarkable to see the teams power most of the questions in the final few rounds. Had I played against them, I don't think I would have got any questions in the finals (and I'm no slouch....I was the 48th highest scorer), which is a testament to their greatness. It was a pleasure to see, and I was glad that I had the opportunity to do so.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Kechara
Wakka

Post by Kechara »

nurgles_herald wrote:Yup. I'm trying to get a Penn State knowledge masters team back together, although it'll be in a larval phase.
<shamelessness> If you want money to go to tournaments with, Academic Initiative has a tournament ready for you to host! </shamelessness>
Jessie Francis

"Bubbles up"
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Trevkeeper wrote:What, no in depth discussion of the questions yet? I'm disappointed. :cool:
As we were getting rady to play Wheaton North in Round 15 (first playoff round), I kept thinking to myself ...It'll be close unless there's 2 or 3 math computation questions .... but I just laughed that off because NAQT never puts as many as three math computation quesitons in any round .....

Except, of course, Round 15 .... Which by reckoning included an additional two pop culture questions in the first 20, in addition to two more pop culture bonuses.

I hate to bring up the whole "too much pop culture" thing again ..... but especially in the playoffs ......
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Tegan wrote: Except, of course, Round 15 .... Which by reckoning included an additional two pop culture questions in the first 20, in addition to two more pop culture bonuses.
I counted the "Towel" tossup as literature of the highest order.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

My only gripe was how we lost our second game (third round).

I buzzed in with a name and was prompted. Since it was a name that didn't have any other parts to it, I was confused to how I could be prompted, and got a neg. The other team rang in with an answer that was counted right. At the end we protested. If the other team had won, they win the game. If we win the protest, we win the game. Instead, they threw out the question, saying there wasn't enough evidence to go either way, and had us play another question.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Feel free to discuss question specifics. The mirror attending populace knows not to read this I'm sure.