College Bowl teams in the South

Old college threads.
killbill_07
Lulu

College Bowl teams in the South

Post by killbill_07 »

Out of curiosity, do schools in the South like Duke, Vanderbilt, UNC, etc. have active and competitive quizbowl teams? The reason I ask is I have yet to find up to date home pages for any of these schools like the ones that Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago have for instance. Also, I see that none of the Southern school teams attended the NAQT ICT 2007.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Vanderbilt is rather active and not too hard to find info on: http://studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/college_bowl/ We've been at the last several ICT's and placed 7th at ACF Nats this year. Duke and UNC have been very active, but not quite so much this year it seems.
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Alabama just came into existence this past year. We were very active, and placed tied for 7th at NAQT Div. II Nationals. We're in the process of getting a page built.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Duke came to VCU's mirror of the novice tournament.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

We (UNC) haven't gone to as much this past year because of transportation issues, but we'll do our best to go to more this coming year. I think Brice was planning on fixing our website at some point, but obviously no one's gotten around to it yet. I promise we do exist, so if you're at all interested in coming to UNC and have questions feel free to e-mail me (sgarnett at email dot unc dot edu).
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

wwellington wrote:We (UNC) haven't gone to as much this past year because of transportation issues, but we'll do our best to go to more this coming year. I think Brice was planning on fixing our website at some point, but obviously no one's gotten around to it yet. I promise we do exist, so if you're at all interested in coming to UNC and have questions feel free to e-mail me (sgarnett at email dot unc dot edu).
Regarding transportation issues: What Sara said. For 98% of the last year we've had exactly one car--mine--to get us to tournaments, and since I have a fairly busy extracurricular schedule we've had problems getting people places. We hosted ACF Regionals last fall and went to Penn Bowl and NAQT Sectionals, among other tournaments, so I'd say we managed to remain a fairly active team nonetheless.

Regarding the website: Blast, I totally forgot about that. UNC's mandating that all student organizations switch over to the Mambo format for hosting websites, which irritates the heck out of me, and as a result I've been prone to not remembering that it needs to be updated. I'm on vacation now, but I'll start on it after I get back and try to have it fully operational by the first of July.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Re: College Bowl teams in the South

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

killbill_07 wrote:Out of curiosity, do schools in the South like Duke, Vanderbilt, UNC, etc. have active and competitive quizbowl teams? The reason I ask is I have yet to find up to date home pages for any of these schools like the ones that Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago have for instance. Also, I see that none of the Southern school teams attended the NAQT ICT 2007.
Out of curiosity, are you talking about any schools beyond these three? Southern collegiate teams and players post on this board frequently (actually, as noted above, including Vandy and UNC), and numerous Southern schools attended the last ICT, including:
(DI) Florida, FSU, South Fla, Vanderbilt (while UNC received and declined a bid);
(DII) Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Gulf Coast CC, South Georgia, Tenn-Chattanooga, Valencia, and Vanderbilt.
(This is counting Florida as South but not Texas/Oklahoma/Virginia, and apologies to those I missed otherwise.)

So I'm not sure how you drew your initial conclusions. But anyway, Georgia has a (fairly) up to date page at http://www.uga.edu/quizbowl/. Hope this helps!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Duke's also exists, but suffers under similar transportation issues as UNC and NC State. I think the transportation issue is the biggest issue for the "southern teams."
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
orangecrayon
Wakka

Post by orangecrayon »

This may be a little further west than your definition of "south," but Louisiana-Lafayette has a team and there was at least one Mississippi junior college invited to this year's ICT.

I think Mississippi State has a team as well, or at least someone who's posted a few times on the boards.
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Re: College Bowl teams in the South

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

NoahMinkCHS wrote: Out of curiosity, are you talking about any schools beyond these three? Southern collegiate teams and players post on this board frequently (actually, as noted above, including Vandy and UNC), and numerous Southern schools attended the last ICT, including:
(DI) Florida, FSU, South Fla, Vanderbilt (while UNC received and declined a bid);
(DII) Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Gulf Coast CC, South Georgia, Tenn-Chattanooga, Valencia, and Vanderbilt.
(This is counting Florida as South but not Texas/Oklahoma/Virginia, and apologies to those I missed otherwise.)
The South in general has a pretty active circuit, as any Charlie Steinhice topic will indicate.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Just out of curiosity: are teams that don't have cars unable to rent a car? I understand that some rental agencies charge a lot to rent to college-aged students, but at FSU, I'm able to go to through the Union to get a good rate.
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

More specifically, I'm concerned about the Duke University QB team since I'm going to be a freshman at Duke this year. Now, I'm not totally sure if I want to do QB in college but it would be nice to know how engaged in the activity Duke is, the current roster, schedule of events, etc. Their home page seems to be like 10 years old. Thanks a lot for your help guys!!!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Unfortunately the Duke CB website is locked and out of our reach because it was on someone's personal website. The best person to contact is Chelsea He (and she's listed as a friend on my Facebook).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
orangecrayon
Wakka

Post by orangecrayon »

wd4gdz wrote:Just out of curiosity: are teams that don't have cars unable to rent a car? I understand that some rental agencies charge a lot to rent to college-aged students, but at FSU, I'm able to go to through the Union to get a good rate.
I think it depends on where the school is and who's on the team. Some schools are in towns that don't have a rental car agency or the team in question might not have anyone with a driver's license.

While some of the larger universities (including my own) may have school-owned vehicles available for student group use, there are often all sorts of restrictions that come with it (i.e. must file paperwork for it x number of days/weeks in advance, must be driven by a university employee, etc.).
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

killbill_07 wrote:More specifically, I'm concerned about the Duke University QB team since I'm going to be a freshman at Duke this year. Now, I'm not totally sure if I want to do QB in college but it would be nice to know how engaged in the activity Duke is, the current roster, schedule of events, etc. Their home page seems to be like 10 years old. Thanks a lot for your help guys!!!
Duke did come to the VCU tournament held in March as well as to Terrapin in January. They had five people at the former and enough for an A and B team at the latter. So I'm sure that with enough cars and interest, they could be even more active.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

My old team, the University of South Carolina has an active program that competes in several tournaments a year. This past year they competed in several tournaments in the south and mid-south Atlantic, as well as ACF Nats. Hopefully the team will be able to attend some tourneys this year assuming they can recruit and retain players.

The Carolinas and Virginia have been an on-again-off-again region for several years as far as active teams go. UVA has traditionally been the best team in the area and seem to have some team most every year, and VCU was quite good with Matt for the past several years. Duke and North Carolina have had some good teams and hosted solid tournaments, but go in and out of activity. William and Mary had a good first year of non-CBI play this past year, so hopefully they'll play next year, and Virginia Tech was very active last year. NC State was active a couple years ago, but I'm not sure if they still are.

I'm considering writing an ACF regionals style tournament for spring 2008, and I'd like USC to host in Columbia assuming they have the manpower. Oh, and By Jove.