Kentucky '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
brownboy79
Rikku

Kentucky '07-'08

Post by brownboy79 »

What does everyone think about this upcoming year?
I think we will see a lot of the usual suspects this year.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

I agree with you. It will probably be the usual contenders...

There were lots of strong seniors gone from all of the KY powerhouses this year. I'm sure we'll all manage to show we can be just as strong as our seniors were in the previous season.

Did Danville and Dunbar lose many? I know, we, Johnson Central, did. I'm sure we'll still be very strong calibre.
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

Danville loses Kelsey. Rachel, John, and Hunter are all juniors.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Dunbar loses Rohit, Shima and Colin. Me, Victor, Amit, Tian and Sagar will be seniors. Pavitra will be a junior.

Edited for grammar
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Johnson Central lost, quick recall wise, Kevin, Bobby, Matt, and Jarrod.

We keep Shawn, Amie, myself, and several other good underclassmen.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I heard that Johnson was considering pulling a bunch of people up from JV next year. Any ideas on your team, Eric?
Mephistopheles
Lulu

My Bets

Post by Mephistopheles »

I'm betting on a strong Dunbar showing with Papa as a senior and a fairly high Danville, though math will be a problem. Johnson Central seems to be the most damaged, since virtually its entire starting line graduated (sorry Shawn).

The real mystery teams are Pikeville, Manual, and Simon Kenton. Pikeville because nobody besides from Johnson know anything about them until state. Manual had a down year this year but maybe their coach will get fired/find competence. And Simon Kenton dark horsed at state, pulling a fairly impressive showing- so there's no telling how good they'll be next year.

And I find it interesting that, like at the end of the Lord of the Rings, the end of an "Age" seems to be drawing near, as the well-established coaches are all seemingly retiring/leaving- Manual's last year, Dunbar's within the next two years, Russell's within the next three or four (not to mention the previous one retiring last year), and Johnson's can't be that far off.
I am Spartacus.
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

One problem with the LOTR "end of an age" theory regarding Manual: The "established coach" that you mention was only the head varsity quizbowl coach for one year (05-06). I'm not sure if people realize this or not, but duPont Manual has had four varsity head coaches-Sanders, McAdams, O'Bryan, and Trotter-over the last four years.

As to next year, It isn't easy for me to say since I'm not totally up on how good everyone was this year. Having said that, I can't imagine Danville and Dunbar not being 1 and 2 in pyramidal qb due to Papa and Rachel if nothing else.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:I heard that Johnson was considering pulling a bunch of people up from JV next year. Any ideas on your team, Eric?
We would have to... There's not very many seniors going to be on the team at all... We should still be pretty darn strong this year. I think it's gonna be a pretty challenging year for all of our teams.
Did Simon Kenton keep any starters?
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Well the way things looked at Ace Danville will be good with rachael. Several underclassmen may be on Varsity this year at central with a small Jv team.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Andrew from JC wrote:Well the way things looked at Ace Danville will be good with rachael. Several underclassmen may be on Varsity this year at central with a small Jv team.
That does appear to be how it will be. The JV-on-the-Varsity-team ordeal has occurred for years, here, though... nothing JC isn't used to, in my opinion.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

You may know more than me erik idk. I know only one offical starter.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Re: My Bets

Post by EricLeMaster »

Mephistopheles wrote:
...and Johnson's can't be that far off.
You have to know Brenda Porter... until hell freezes over and the good Lord himself drags her body to the afterlife, she will not retire.

Just saying...
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Yah it will
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

So whens everyone s first meet. There looks to be a good freshmen class coming in and a good sophmore class also which may help to get test scores in. One of the freshmen came in the top three in science at Ace.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

With respect for all of the good work that the people at ACE do, I'm not sure it's the best judge of who's good in what subject. I am a firm believer that freshmen can be just as important and good as seniors. Age doesn't matter. More power to Johnson for taking that attitude, I wish you guys the best of luck this year. I must agree with Eric, Ms. Porter isn't going to retire. I can certainly imagine her there forever. Like really forever. Not just kinda forever. Forever ever, like Kanye West. Deano (our coach) seems to be retiring at the end of this year, but I think we have someone new coming in to be kind of half coach this year to learn the ropes. Simon Kenton loses all of their starters, I don't know if they'll be strong next year. Russell lost Kippers and Holly, but I can't imagine Coach Knupp letting that team slide. Danville looks excellent as usual with John Rachel and Hunter. Really, I have no idea what to expect from Johnson this year. They're always good at GovCup, but freshmen tend to have trouble with Pyramids. Pikeville is and always will be an enigma to me. And this year, so is Manual. They graduated a bunch of people. Right now my shortlist for QR contenders is Russell, Johnson (if only out of Ms. Porter's sheer will power), Danville and us (largely because of Victor). I am very interested to see the new format. I like the GovCup trend over the last year, Bravo Mr. Bennet. Here's to an even better one this year.

And now, after that lovely message, let's hear the discussion...
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

School started on Monday at JC and practice starts this following monday coming up. When does school start for you guys papa (if it has not already) and when does practice start for you guys.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Monday. I believe that JV is starting practice this week, and we're starting next week. Don't take my word on that one, though. My, this is a calm discussion. Especially compared to some of the other states. C'mon I would love to see some mudslinging. Or at the very least inflammatory language. Something like "Dunbar smells." (Which by the way, for one week a year, when something goes on with the sewage system, it really does.)
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

I believe Central's first meet anywhere is on the 10th of sep. At least thats what I saw on the schedule last time I saw it.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:Monday. I believe that JV is starting practice this week, and we're starting next week. Don't take my word on that one, though. My, this is a calm discussion. Especially compared to some of the other states. C'mon I would love to see some mudslinging. Or at the very least inflammatory language. Something like "Dunbar smells." (Which by the way, for one week a year, when something goes on with the sewage system, it really does.)
Dunbar smells, lol.
Just kidding.

I don't like to start mudslinging, I just like getting the last word in. :wink:
Andrew from JC wrote:I believe Central's first meet anywhere is on the 10th of sep. At least thats what I saw on the schedule last time I saw it.
I haven't seen the schedule... I hope it's not too full this year; I wanna be able to see my GSP friends sometime!

And if we have anything on Sept. 7th, my head will rotate in a Linda Blair-esque fashion.

((Btw, Papa--- tell Emily I said, "Hi!"))
Last edited by EricLeMaster on Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Just looking at dates I dont the 10th is a meet I may had been wrong i havent seen it in a little while so sry if I was wrong eric.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

The meets the 8th at Sheldon Clark.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I, for one, am displeased by the lack of Kentucky representation in the national polls. We best kick some ass at these early tournaments.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:I, for one, am displeased by the lack of Kentucky representation in the national polls. We best kick some ass at these early tournaments.
I am also displeased! I think Kentucky should get A LOT more recognition on the national scene-- especially in the polls.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Yes, well I voted. And I placed our school high. But I was rather unsure on Johnson's prospects this year. In all fairness, a lot of you guys graduated.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:Yes, well I voted. And I placed our school high. But I was rather unsure on Johnson's prospects this year. In all fairness, a lot of you guys graduated.
That's fair--- In addition, alot of schools are up in the air this year, don't you think?
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Yes they are. A lot of people are throwing us away because of horrible performances last year. Which is, I suppose fair, but it makes me want to prove them wrong all the more strongly.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:Yes they are. A lot of people are throwing us away because of horrible performances last year. Which is, I suppose fair, but it makes me want to prove them wrong all the more strongly.
Quite the contrary, I believe that you are going to be stronger than ever this year. You all have a fantastic team and I expect a nonetheless equivalent year for you. Good luck!
Randomnumber11235
Lulu

Post by Randomnumber11235 »

Johnson Central will be pulling up Brad Cantrell from JV, and after seeing him in practice, he is very good. Hopefully he'll be roughly on par with Kevin by Governor's Cup. As far as the rest of the team goes, it appears to be a combination of Shawn, Coty Marcum, Morgan Blair, Amie Sparks, Eric and possibly Josh Collins, Faiyad Manning, and Alex Mccullah. (terribly sorry for any misspellings).

We're looking at Danville and PLD to be the main forces this year.

As far as Pikeville goes, I know they have Austin remaining. In addition, they recruited (coughsnakedcough) Max Morley from Pike Central. That gives them good A&H and SS. As for other areas I'm unsure. I know Shilpa is good, but I'm unsure of how she is at quick recall.

Sorry for the awkward train of thought, but I'm multitasking at the moment.

By the way, I did refer to myself in third person there, just so you don't think I'm a random spectator.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Brad is a Social Studies machine and could be as good if not better than Kevin was. We should be good as the starters are not set yet but we'll maybe see tomorrow with the meet at Sheldon Clark.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I am just sick of the politeness of this forum. Why can't we be insufferably arrogant? Johnson, YOU'RE GOING DOWN. Man, I am so passionate.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Well hope the high school can play dunbar soon. so the two will duke it out.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:I am just sick of the politeness of this forum. Why can't we be insufferably arrogant? Johnson, YOU'RE GOING DOWN. Man, I am so passionate.
We'll see who goes down, Papa!
Don't be disappointed when it's YOU!
LOL.

This is kind of fun...
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Pshaw. I'd like to see that. You guys are going to have rug burns after we dust the floor with you. What now?
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

DUNBAR's GOING DOWN HARD.

LOL that was fun
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Is anyone else than Central going to Russel on saturday.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I thought of a dirty joke, Andrew from JC. I'll leave you to assume the implications. Also, our JV is going. But it doesn't matter what grade our teams are in, does it? Pwnage.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

No it really doesn't. I got the joke about three seconds after I read too.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I think you guys should get shirts. "Innocent Bystanders" to our DOMINATION. jkjk.
For those non sports fan, this is a play off of the Lebron, and later Oden, shirts (Witness) that Nike has been hawkwing.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Ahhh I see. Oh well at Russell today I think the Varsity won every match,except the last one which was aginst Danville.
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

Seems like JCC is still very strong this year despite loosing 3/4 of its starting 4. I was especially impressed by Brad, who managed to nearly pull his team to a win during the last pyramidal toss-ups.
I am Spartacus.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Mephistopheles wrote:Seems like JCC is still very strong this year despite loosing 3/4 of its starting 4. I was especially impressed by Brad, who managed to nearly pull his team to a win during the last pyramidal toss-ups.
Brad is Kevin's brother, if that means anything, lol.
And he is a freshman.
He, already being veryyyyy good, will be a FORCE by Governor's Cup and assuredly by his senior year.

Shawn did really well on math and Amie well on Language Arts.
We're gonna have to work on science, but Coty and I are strengthening.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

Danville was pretty good at the Russel tournament (congrads on winning!). Thier team was basically the one girl who knew lit, art, and music pretty well and the kid kid who could do math and science. The other two people on the team didn't do anything. JCC beat us in the morning, but they didn't put up much of a challenge to Danville going into the finals. Dunbar didn't even have any teams in the Varsity division. Pikeville also looked pretty strong.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

The girl was Rachael Beckman.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Dunbar A did not go. As was mentioned earlier. Most of us were at a school thing yesterday.
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

Does anybody know if the DCC team at Russell is the actual starting line for this year?

As for Danville, they were a two-man team because the third starter wasn't there. Also, based on the decent performance of Danville JV, it seems that the other two were random players that didn't make their JV four.
Last edited by Mephistopheles on Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Mephistopheles wrote:Does anybody know if the DCC team at Russell is the actual starting line for this year?

Also, I was under the impression that Danville's history starter had other obligations that day. And that Danville doesn't really have a fourth person yet.
I was wondering where Hunter was--- I was hoping to see the whole team; no doubt they would give an even more impressive performance.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

That team is not the starting line up for DCC. We were missing 3 of our top 5 players.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

mceschermaniac4 wrote:That team is not the starting line up for DCC. We were missing 3 of our top 5 players.
I knew that something wasn't normal when you played us... I knew it should have been closer.
You all still did very well, though.
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

EricLeMaster wrote:
Mephistopheles wrote:Does anybody know if the DCC team at Russell is the actual starting line for this year?

Also, I was under the impression that Danville's history starter had other obligations that day. And that Danville doesn't really have a fourth person yet.
I was wondering where Hunter was--- I was hoping to see the whole team; no doubt they would give an even more impressive performance.
Hunter was ACTing on Saturday.