ACE Camps 2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jrbarry
Tidus

ACE Camps 2007

Post by jrbarry »

Anyone interested in registering for ACE Quiz Bowl Camp this summer?

We have spots open at all three of our camps, July 8-12 at Cape Girardeau, MO, July 23-27 at Clinton, SC, or July 30-Aug 3 at Emmitsburg, MD.

Our website is http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com and we have info on all our camps at that site.

You can also email me for more camp info at [email protected]
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Don't forget that this year ACE will be using DACQ questions for nightly tournament play this year, in what is, as I understand (and Mr. Barry can correct me if I'm wrong) an effort to emphasize pyramidal material along with the perennial top notch instruction. Teams (particularly, mid-Atlantic teams) that have been reluctant to send players to ACE in the past have, I hear, begun signing up, and I would encourage everyone to give ACE's new approach to a consistently proven model a try.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

We are pleased to be using DACQ questions in our nightly tournaments.

I might add that ACE has been using pyramidal tossups for many years dating back to 1994. We also used other types of questions to meet the varied needs of our campers. In 2006, we used pyramidal tossups for 2 of our three days of tournaments/practices.

Right now, the number of ACE campers signed up from mid-Atlantic states is actually less than in 2005 or 2006. Perhaps DACQ scared them away! :-)

Actually, I expect more to sign up as schools end later in that area than in most of our other camper areas and I have had several calls/emails from people in that mid-Atlantic area.

I have faith that our nightly tournaments will be better than ever with Chris' questions.
Siverus Snape
Rikku

Post by Siverus Snape »

At the risk of sounding foolish, I am really excited that the nightly tourney questions are going to be DACQ. I do wonder though; does this mean that all nights will have the same format? It was at the very least interesting to sample the different formats from other states.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I am not sure on the formats .... but I will be around at the SEMO camp... probably reading or doing whatever is needed. So say hey if you see me or get to hear my butcher pronunciations.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Actually, DACQ will be preparing a "hyrbid" speed-pyramidal set for the first night. Frankly I prefer our pyramidal sets, but I think there is something to be said about ACE's multitude of formats. However, I think that set will feature the least frustrating and most knowledge-based speed questions you've seen, as well as a substantial pyramidal portion.

Everything else we've written as pure 20/20 (with powers). I'm very interested in hearing feedback about the questions from ACE attendees, and I thoroughly hope you enjoy them.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

So I know about the no majors/minors at Mount Saint Mary's and understand how it would work, but is there any reason why Mount St. Mary's was chosen for this format as opposed to the others?
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Logic/illogic of what we are doing at MSM

1. We knew the MSM camp would be small, our smallest in years. It has turned out that way.

2. The major-minor system has worked fine. But a number of people have asked about doing parts of majors or somehow splitting their time between majors. This new system allows campers ot choose three courses to spend equal amounts of time in based on more specific choices than just Lit II or Science I.

3. Because of #1 and #2, we decided early on to try a new course teaching system for MSM this year and then decide if that is the direction we should go in.

4. We are still having three subject matter camp tournaments at the end, LIt, Sci, and Soc Stds. Each camper will choose which tournament to participate in without regard to the three courses they are taking at camp this year.

5. So far, we know we are OFFERING the following courses: Shakespeare, Post Shakespeare Brit Lit, 20th Century Drama, Chemistry, Biology, Recent History, 18th/198th Century Euro Hist, Western Hem Geog, US History, and Fine Arts. One more science course should also be on tap, probably Astronomy.

6. I will be sending out an email soon (Friday, July 6 hopefully) asking each camper to choose the three courses they wish to enroll in. Some of the courses may not even "make" if few campers want them.

Personally, I am looking forward to this new teaching system.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

oops! I left off "Non-Western History" which Chris Ray has so graciously offered to teach at MSM. Having reviewed Chris' lesson plans for that course, it looks to be a good one.
Kimahri

Post by Guest »

198th century Euro Hist would be awesome.

A question to all readers: Who is attending camp, what school do you go to, and which camp location are you attending?

To Mr. Barry: How many kids are signed up among the three locations?
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

If only I could type! :-)

As of July 3...

Missouri camp has 142 players

South Carolina camp has 120 players

Maryland camp has 45 players

Assorted numbers of coaches at each camp.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

jrbarry wrote:Logic/illogic of what we are doing at MSM

1. We knew the MSM camp would be small, our smallest in years. It has turned out that way.

2. The major-minor system has worked fine. But a number of people have asked about doing parts of majors or somehow splitting their time between majors. This new system allows campers ot choose three courses to spend equal amounts of time in based on more specific choices than just Lit II or Science I.

3. Because of #1 and #2, we decided early on to try a new course teaching system for MSM this year and then decide if that is the direction we should go in.

4. We are still having three subject matter camp tournaments at the end, LIt, Sci, and Soc Stds. Each camper will choose which tournament to participate in without regard to the three courses they are taking at camp this year.

5. So far, we know we are OFFERING the following courses: Shakespeare, Post Shakespeare Brit Lit, 20th Century Drama, Chemistry, Biology, Recent History, 18th/198th Century Euro Hist, Western Hem Geog, US History, and Fine Arts. One more science course should also be on tap, probably Astronomy.

6. I will be sending out an email soon (Friday, July 6 hopefully) asking each camper to choose the three courses they wish to enroll in. Some of the courses may not even "make" if few campers want them.

Personally, I am looking forward to this new teaching system.
All that sounds great; thanks for the info.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Guest wrote:A question to all readers: Who is attending camp, what school do you go to, and which camp location are you attending?
Gonzaga's gonna be bringing 5 players to MSM and we may be bringing a sixth.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

Guest wrote:198th century Euro Hist would be awesome.

A question to all readers: Who is attending camp, what school do you go to, and which camp location are you attending?

To Mr. Barry: How many kids are signed up among the three locations?
I am, just me, Garfield Heights High School (OH), and Maryland, because it's closest, and I'm driving.

EDIT: I take that back, it looks like one of our players has decided he'd like to go (late of course...). So maybe 2.
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

Myself and my teammate Carsten from Wayzata are attending the Maryland camp.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

I and the rest of our starters are going to SEMO.

--Greg from WN
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

I am on staff at Presby, and six of my players are going.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
porcupine
Lulu

Post by porcupine »

In future, it might be nice to try holding a camp in the Illinois/Michigan area, so that way I might have been able to convince my parents to let me go.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

You can see Illinois from the SEMO dorm rooms. Illinois is just across the river from Cape Girardeau.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

I'm going, as the lone representative of Wilmington Charter, to the MSM camp.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Siva, Michael, and I (John Brown) will be at SEMO from Auburn.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

DCC is bringing 5 or 6 players to the MSM camp. However, I am somewhat disappointed about the courses at the camp. They seem too basic and are focused around art, science, history, and lit. I would like to see some courses such as: economists, psychologists, philosophers, various religons, mythology, sports, and other miscellaneous subjects that come up frequently in quiz bowl.
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

I forgot that some a math course would be nice too.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

In my opinion, the minor subjects you bring up don't carry the weight in quizbowl that they would need to warrant a full course load. I'm trying to write study material for topics like those, and it's hard to come up with enough high school-level material for those to warrant one hour of group discussion, let alone what an ACE camp class would need.

If there were a "Grab Bag" class that had nearly all of them, that might be one thing. I think I remember one of the S.S. 2 classes from the old system being an econ/psych/soc/ss class, though.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I would like to see some courses such as: economists, psychologists, philosophers, various religons, mythology, sports, and other miscellaneous subjects that come up frequently in quiz bowl.
My non-western history class will cover the major non Judeo-Christian religions and, if there's time, perhaps some non-western thinkers. A philosophy course in particular is a nice idea, since they can be hard to come by in high school.

Any updates out of SEMO so far?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Chris that sounds like a good class... wish I were going to be around for it...
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Rumour has it Terin from Savannah dommed the top room today. Dunno much else.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

I now know that Grant Gates from NKC got a math recognition of some sort.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Yeah. Grant got a perfect on his first Math major test along with a few others.

The highest scorers on the camp test were:

1. John Brown, Rockford Auburn
2. Greg Gauthier, Wheaton North
2. Siva (don't remember last name or school)
3. Terin Budine, Savannah

Tonight's upper tournament was won by John Brown's team over Greg G's team.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Kentb426 wrote:Yeah. Grant got a perfect on his first Math major test along with a few others.

Huzzah for the continued domination of Illinois over the rest of the poorly sampled nation on quizbowlesque formats and tests!

Seriously though, way to go John, Greg, and Siva (Sundaram, Rockford Auburn). I'm really looking forward to next year already at this pace.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

How did everyone like the questions? I became more and more disenchanted with the hybrid format as I wrote it, but hopefully they were tolerable. I'd expect response to the next two nights to be better.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

I think they were received pretty well. I know one of the only issues was distribution seemed to be very social studies heavy while there didn't seem to be as much science in some packets but the questions were good as far as content and difficulty are concerned.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

I wish I were at ACE camp. But I have to wait 20 more days. NOOO.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Do you know what the top score specifically was, so that we'll be able to compare it to the other ACE campers from the other 2 camps?
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Highest score at SEMO on the Camp Test was 53 of 70. We'll see how the PC and MSM campers do on it.

Still not too late to add as a camper to MSM or PC. email me ASAP at
[email protected]

More ACE Camp reports are available on our website at
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I think they were received pretty well. I know one of the only issues was distribution seemed to be very social studies heavy while there didn't seem to be as much science in some packets but the questions were good as far as content and difficulty are concerned.
I imagine this is probably due to the fact that the distribution used in Illinois and to a lesser extent Missouri) (states that many SEMO campers, I understand, come from) groups history, social science, geography, current events, and philosophy into "social studies." DACQ uses the traditional college distribution to ensure that "math" is not given as much weight as all of those other things put together. As in most pyramidal formats, we ended up de-emphasizing math. Apologies to the Illini. Science, however, should still have been at 20%.

I hope the pure pyramidal questions went over well. I've been meaning to ask, is ACE keeping stats?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

We haven't been keeping stats of the individuals in the tournies and I am not even sure if the scores from the tournaments have survived.

However, the tournament tonight featured the team led by Greg G. manhandling the team led by Siva S. in the championship of the upper tournament. The score was something along the lines of 230-160 or something like that.

We haven't noticed any problems with the pyramidal questions overall. They have been challenging for the students but they are here to be challenged and to learn so I think the questions are helping to achieve that goal. There are plenty of answers they have had to write down to learn, which is a good thing.

I'll let Mr. Barry go into more detail if he feels like it but I think the kids in the upper tournament were well able to answer the questions at good spots and pyramidality was not really in question as all the questions I can remember progressed well from the tougher to easier.

Subject Area Tournaments
Science

1st: Siva Sundaram, Rockford Auburn, IL

2nd: Ping Chen, Dunbar, KY

3rd: Brian Mahan, Richland, MO

Math
1st: Grant Gates, North Kansas City, MO

2nd: Julia Menez, Blue Springs, MO

3rd: Katie Fry, Knoxville West, TN

Literature
1st: Pavitra Muralidhar, Dunbar, KY

2nd: John Brown, Rockford Auburn, IL

3rd: Greg Gauthier, Wheaton North, IL

Social Studies
1st: Michael Jiang, Rockford Auburn, IL

2nd: Andrew Friedman, Latin School of Chicago, IL

3rd: Kevin Ngo, Wheaton North, IL

Posted Thursday, July 12, 2007 14:32 PM (CST)
Top Quizzers
Math

Grant Gates, North Kansas City, MO

Lit I
Priscilla Defini, Madisonville North-Hopkins, KY

Danny Bulmash, Buffalo Grove, IL

Lit II - 20th Century
Pavitra Muralidhar, Dunbar, KY

Lit II - Ancient
Frances Hall, Knoxville West, TN

Science I
Ben Counts, Lincoln County, TN

Science II
Carl Butt, Springfield, IL

Brian Mahan, Richland, MO

Social Studies I
Patrick Carter, Lutheran School, IL

Social Studies II
Andrew Friedman, Latin School of Chicago

Posted Thursday, July 12, 2007 14:39 PM (CST)
Third Night Tournament Winners!

Middle Tournament

Champion: Alex Dobson, Liberty, MO; Galen Furry, Springfield, IL; Priscilla Defini, Madisonville-North Hopkins, KY; Caitlyn Clard, Edmonson County, KY

Runner-Up: Aaron Eisiminger, Savannah, MO; Matt Warren, Minden, LA; Mary Grace Hebert, Sacred Heart, LA; Jeffrey Barnes, Wheaton Warrenville South, IL

Lower Tournament

Champions: Coleman Jones, New Madrid County Central, MO; Dustin Kelley, Madisonville-North Hopkins, KY; Steven Chen, Minden, LA; Austin Gray, Benton Jr. High,AR; Hunter Smith, Central Hardin, KY

Runner Up: Chris Perry, Minden, LA; Jon Powell, Bloomington, IL; Blaine Sadler, Benton Jr., AR; Richard Burchett, Woodford, KY; Ward Watts, Poplar Bluff, MO

Posted Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:47 PM (CST)
Second Night Tournament Winners!
Upper Tournament

Champions: Rob H., Ste. Genevieve; Lucas M., Liberty; Hunter F., Bloomington; Aaron K., Madisonville-North Hopkins

Runner-up: Jacob B., Edmonson County; Kristen J., Chattahoochee; John B., Rockford Auburn; Jeff S., Wheaton North

Middle Tournament

Champions: Aaron Peacock, Tippecanoe; Arthur Hotchkiss, Bryant; Mary Grace Hebert, Academy of the Sacred Heart; Zeth Edsall, New Madrid

Runner-up: Sarah Craig, Knox West; David Garb, Buffalo Grove; Jeffrey Barnes, Wheaton Warrenville South; Sean Dawson, Haileyville, OK

Lower tournament

Champions: Coralie Eddins, Lincoln County; Blaine Sadler, Benton Jr. High; Jo Ryherd, Lutheran; Priscilla Defini, Madisonville North Hopkins; Jon Powell, Bloomington

Runner-up: Matt Warren, Minden; Heather Massie, Poplar Bluff; Richard Burchett, Woodford Co.; Matt Callender, Minden; Patrick Deighan, Bloomington

Posted Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:56 AM (CST)

First Night Tournament Winners!

Upper Tournament

Champions: John Brown, Rockford Auburn, IL; Mitch Welch, White Cloud, MI; Paul Botros, Carbondale, IL; Shuangyi Hou, Carbondale

Runner Up: Greg Gauthier, Wheaton North, IL; Jeff Sommars, Wheaton North, IL; Jake Blair, Bradley Bourbonnais, MO; Noel Menard, Savannah, MO

Middle Tournament

Champions: Mary Hebert,Sacred Heart, LA;Cameron W, White Cloud, MI; Lauren Bell, Central Hardin, KY; Sarah C, West, TN; Grant A, Marion County, KY

Runner UP: Joseph M, Cistercian, TX; Austin D, Edmonson County, KY; Todd O, Central Hardin, KY; Brandon H, Poplar Bluff, MO

Lower Tournaments
Champtionship: Jacob Goede, North Kansas City, Mo; Michelle Yuen, St. Ignatius, IL;Ross Pike, White Cloud, MI; Katelyn Brown, Madisonville-North Hopkins, KY; Mahammed Abbas, Poplar Bluff, MO

Runner-UP: Priscilla Defini, Madisonville-North Hopkins, KY; Lucas Parson, Madisonville-North Hopkins, KY; Ward Watts, Poplar Bluff, MO; Austin Gray, Benton Jr., AR, Chris Perry, Minden, LA

Posted Monday, July 9, 2007 8:45 PM (CST)
SEMO NEWS
Camp Test Top Scorers and Schools 1st: John Brown--Rockford Auburn, IL 2nd: Siva Sundaram--Rockford Auburn, IL Gregory Gauthier--Wheaton North, IL 3rd: Terin Budine, Savannah, MO
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2007 9:44 PM (CST)

gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Due to the whole no majors at the MSM camp, are there still gonna be quizzes for one of the classes?
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I know that I'm preparing daily quizzes for my class, I would assume everyone else is too. More quizzes = more fun, Kevin.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Oh i know. Just not when you have to take them in your most detested subject (science). Oh well, I'll take one for the team.
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Every class will have a quiz every day, even in the first class. (An assignment will be handed out the first night for wquizzes the first day.)

All quizzes will be 10 questions in each class and the scores will be put together to give each camper a handicap in the subject matter contest of their choice. (Chris: bring a laptop if you have one 'cause you may be our official GRADEBOOK!)

This new system should give campers more flexibility than our older system does.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

jrbarry wrote:the scores will be put together to give each camper a handicap in the subject matter contest of their choice.
I understand the handicap counting as starting out with automatic points, but are they also going to determine who you're going to play in the first subject rounds? This could serve as a problem for people like me who may be trying to take classes that they're weak on as opposed to ones they're strong on. I suck at science so I'm planning on taking science classes to improve and my handicap on the quizzes I predict will not help me with doing well in the Literature Subject round, which is my main forte.
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

The quizzes are on assigned materials in your classes. If you learn the assignments, you'll do well on the quizzes and, thus, begin the subject matter tournament of your choice with a strong handicap.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Any updates out of camp number 2?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I have nothing more to add.
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

To DACQ- the questions in the night tournaments were great, solid questions
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Thanks. As alway, we're interested in feedback. Particularly, I'd like scores of games anyone remembers.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE

NUH UH IF UR NAEM IZ DUMBJACKS ALL U CAN RITE IS THESE AWFUL 9 LINERS U CANT GET TIL THE LAST WURD AMIRITE!!!!!!!!!

Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

Yah the questions each night were solid and good. I enjoyed them even though I didnt make the final table in SS