Chicago Open lodging

Old college threads.
setht
Auron

Chicago Open lodging

Post by setht »

If anyone has any recommendations on lodging options for Chicago Open, please share them here--people have asked me for hotel recommendations, and I don't have any good ideas. I imagine most people stay in hotels outside of Hyde Park, but I don't really know what good options people have found in years past.

Thanks,
-Seth
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

One can often get astoundingly good deals (two star for under $60, four-star for under $100) by Pricelining the O'Hare area.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I think we might have found our hookup. One of our guys works for Marriot. I believe that means problem solved.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

If I'm flying in from Midway, can I expect to be able to find some sort of public transportation that will get me to lodging and then to the university? Or will this end up being quite challenging (and expensive)?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

ikillkenny wrote:If I'm flying in from Midway, can I expect to be able to find some sort of public transportation that will get me to lodging and then to the university? Or will this end up being quite challenging (and expensive)?
The 55 bus will take you from Midway pretty much straight into Hyde Park. I ride it all the time when I go to Chicago. Can't tell you much about accomodation though.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

For JS Mill I flew into Midway and made it to Hyde Park no problem. Though I didn't end up staying there, I had made arrangements to stay in one of the hotels in that massive fenced off hotel cluster near midway. To get to Hyde Park I simply hopped on the airport shuttle, got off, and walked to the airport bus station. Whole trip to the bus took <20 min (more likely much less, can't remember that well), but the bus ride is long, 30-45 min I think. Maybe shorter early in the morning on a Saturday since it won't stop as much.
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Not sure what day or time you're flying in, but there are both regular (55) and express (X55) buses running during the week. (On the weekends, only the regular bus is available.) If you're going from Midway to Hyde Park, it's often worth waiting for the express bus.

The CTA's website might come in handy--it has the bus and train routes plus a trip planner.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Thanks for the advice. Unless I'm able to get off work early and get myself on an earlier flight than I booked already, I'll probably be arriving later Friday night. So I assume I'll be relegated to the non-express bus.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

So if we got a hotel near O'Hare, could we expect to be able to take the shuttle bus back to the airport, catch the L train, and get to the university within a reasonable amount of time on Saturday and Sunday mornings? And if so, does anyone have a ballpark estimate for how long that would take so we don't end up comically early or late to registration on Saturday?

I'd also be willing to entertain better ways to get from the O'Hare area to UC than the L Train, if such exist.
Mike Bentley
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Steroid McBlooddoper wrote:So if we got a hotel near O'Hare, could we expect to be able to take the shuttle bus back to the airport, catch the L train, and get to the university within a reasonable amount of time on Saturday and Sunday mornings? And if so, does anyone have a ballpark estimate for how long that would take so we don't end up comically early or late to registration on Saturday?

I'd also be willing to entertain better ways to get from the O'Hare area to UC than the L Train, if such exist.
Blue line from O'Hare to Jackson, Red Line from Jackson to Garfield, 55 bus from Garfield to tournament.

Alternatively, Blue line from O'Hare to Jackson, #6 bus from the corner of State and Van Buren to tournament.

Unfortunately, there is construction on the Blue Line, and it could take something on the order of 45 minutes to get from O'Hare to downtown on it.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Protip: The train is the "El." The L train is something else that you may want to catch, though.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

For both of the routes Bruce describes, you'll want to budget at least an hour and a half.

You may find the CTA's website helpful here, particularly the trip planner utility.

Unless you're willing to shell out for a cab (~$55) or the Omega Shuttle ($30 per person, I think), the CTA is your best option.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Thanks for the help and for showing my ignorance of Chicago's public transportation system.
Mike Bentley