Preseason poll party with pants

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Preseason poll party with pants

Post by AKKOLADE »

Okay, we're doing this. E-mail me the top 25 teams in the country. The top spot goes to the team you think is best, second to the second best and so forth. I'll keep balloting open for maybe a week and a half.

I will publish your name alongside this poll, so ballot away with this knowledge.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Can I just send you top 10-15 or something? Toward the end of the season, I have a lot of data to look at, but right now I don't know what to expect especially outside of the top 10. So if I had to put in 25 teams, toward the end of the list, I would be just randomly listing teams that are traditionally good. Of course, that might be what the poll is all about. . .
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

25 or bust, son.

I'm going to be looking at stats for returning players from the top teams at PACE & NAQT, plus looking at the ACE & state threads should be good ideas. Plus, people can throw out suggestions in this thread.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Any chance you can link me to those stats? I have no idea where they are.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

Just double checking, is this a prediction of how teams will rank for the beginning of the year or prematurely ranking who we think will be top 25 by the end of the year?
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I think its a premmy ranking for how teams turn out at nationals.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

OK, thanks, Charlie.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:I think its a premmy ranking for how teams turn out at nationals.
This is correct.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Is Charlie returning for NKC? That's pretty important in determining their place in a poll.

Also, I know we lost a lot of respect after our terrible showings at Nationals last year, but Brindlee Mountain will be up there this year. Our seniors are pumped-up and practiced all summer at one of our sophomore's houses. Also, I won't be so cavalier in splitting my A and B teams this year... I take the blame for that.

I truly believe that at least one of our teams will break into the top 10.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Yes, Charlie is returning.

He may not be playing MSHSAA ... not sure on that one ... but he will be playing in some form at NKC barring some screwjob from the administration.

Kentb426 wrote:He may not be playing MSHSAA ...
I thought I definitely clarified to you that I will be playing for MSHSAA events.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

you did .... but what if mshsaa comes up with some absurd way to keep you from playing? . . which is definitely feasible given that it's mshsaa

They won't since I'm definitely qualified to play by their rules.

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

When is the cut-off for ballots?
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Uh. . . so . . . poll?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'll accept ballots until August 28th.
Fred Morlan
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Do I email you my ballot? I already posted it in the Preseason thread.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Please do e-mail it to me, as I will probably end up forgetting about that.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I feel the need to answer several questions that I have seen on some other pages. And this felt like a good place. Plus it would explain a lot about why my rankings are the way they are.

1. Dunbar was not consistent last year. That was largely my fault. There was a lot of stuff I missed, and the times I did not miss I didn't play well (ie NAQT)

2. Our team is not a one man team. Victor has never been to NAQT because of a combination of bad events. But I think those of you that know him will not think me crazy to say that he is pretty damn good- I would be hard pressed to choose between him and Rachel (Beckman)

3. I think we are significantly better this year. That's about it.

It is fair of you guys to disregard Dunbar, especially considering our horrid performance last year. Really, I don't even want to talk about that. But I would also like to point out that there were some bright spots in that. Like RM B at NAQT. I hate to call losing a good thing, but losing twice to Dorman on one of the last couple questions at Ezell Harding at Vandy was painful, but if anything, showed our ability to compete. There were certainly crappier moments, like James Island at NAQT and Walton, or playing or horribly against Dorman B at NAQT, or NAQT in general.

In summation, it's certainly fair that Dunbar is not in your top 25. I believe that you will change your mind at some point during the year. And please don't think that I'm rating Dunbar so high out of arrogance, I really believe in the rankings I've emailed. That is all.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

When can we expect the results of the poll to be published?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've had loads of overtime this week, along with trying to change jobs, get a trash event set up and other things to kvetch about. I should have something up this weekend, barring surprises.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Since Fred is evidently busy and obviously the masses are clamoring for blood, I've decided to just go ahead and post my rankings for people to discuss until everyone else's go up. Let's hear what you think! I make no claims about the perfection of these, and am open to persuasion of how terribly misguided I am. Anyway, here you go:

1. MLK
2. Thomas Jefferson A
3. Dorman A
4. Richard Montgomery
5. Gonzaga
6. Whitman
7. North Kansas City
8. Eden Prairie
9. Wilmington Charter
10. Stuyvesant
11. East Lansing
12. Walter Johnson
13. Santa Monica
14. State College
15. Garfield Heights
16. Hunter
17. Governor's
18. Rockford Auburn
19. Wayzata
20. Dunbar
21. Dorman B
22. Brindlee Mountain
23. Danville
24. DCC
25. GDS

Oh, also, don't everyone go posting, I'm sure Fred will get things up soon. Of particular note, if you haven't sent a ballot to Fred, do not post one here.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

It's hard to tell how teams like Gonzaga, NKC, Stuyv, EL, WJ, GH, and Hunter will do because these teams have one dominant player (although some have better supporting casts) and it's just impossible to know who improved the most over the summer.
Before the end of last season, I would have said Kurtis was ahead just because of the numbers he put up at PACE, but of course, Charlie and Guy had better ppg than him at NAQT. (I also think Charlie's score at Chicago Open was really good, although I don't know if it correlates to hs quizbowl). Doug was also impressive at PACE but I don't know what happened at NAQT. But I guess placing Gonzaga the highest is legitimate, considering the astonishing rate at which Dan is improving . . .
As for Dan H. and I, I simply don't think we are as good as the others.

Also, Dorman B will probably do better than 21st.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

I'm betting on either TJ or MLK in first followed by Dorman. I think Whitman and maybe Gonzaga will overtake RM, if RM stops going to tournaments in the second half of the year again. Stuyvesant and Dorman B should be higher. Dorman B is a good team and in many ways more steady than the A team. I think Brindlee Mountain should be at least a little higher.
mistermoravian
Lulu

Post by mistermoravian »

Where's Moravian? After all, we did defeat #12 Walter Johnson at PACE, and only one of my teammates was a senior. Even though we don't have many results apart from Nationals, I still maintain that Moravian is either underrated or, in this instance, omitted entirely from these polls--not that they mean much, of course!
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm counting votes today, just so you know.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

aestheteboy wrote:It's hard to tell how teams like Gonzaga, NKC, Stuyv, EL, WJ, GH, and Hunter will do because these teams have one dominant player
I, for one, am exceedingly happy that you don't consider Dunbar to be a one man team. This glee is diminished by my doubt whether we've ever seen one another play.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Where's Moravian? After all, we did defeat #12 Walter Johnson at PACE, and only one of my teammates was a senior. Even though we don't have many results apart from Nationals, I still maintain that Moravian is either underrated or, in this instance, omitted entirely from these polls--not that they mean much, of course!
As far as I can tell Moravian didn't have any victories of significance at NAQT, and general ppg numbers were really, really low. I don't see WJ putting up just 180 or something in a victory had they gone last year. I would like if you came to our Weekend of Quizbowl to prove me wrong.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Actually, Chris, we don't even have to wait until your weekend of quiz bowl goodness, since Ben will have his first chance to prove you wrong against Stuyvesant, Gonzaga, TJ, Dorman, and MLK at Harvard in November.