FMWH is proud to announce its next interview subject...

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

FMWH is proud to announce its next interview subject...

Post by AKKOLADE »

R. Robert Hentzel, head of NAQT, has agreed to be the second subject of an interview on Fire Matt Weiner's Head.

If there are subjects you'd like questions asked about - while keeping with the blog's theme of being mostly positive and non-aggrandizing - suggest them in this thread.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

In an entirely not attacking way (and I really mean that), why doesn't NAQT use the balanced distribution per packet instead of just per tournament? I see no good reason to do this, and numerous good reasons to not do it. I would sincerely appreciate an explanation on that.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

I would like a question to be on if NAQT is considering branching out in its season sets to include "IS-College" sets. I know that is sacrilege to most, but I know a lot of people who want to see a version of the IS, except beefed up for college level, as NAQT does only 2 different (3 counting both D1 and D2) college sets a year. If they are then when can we expect it, and if they aren't why not.
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

Perhaps a question regarding all the trash discussion we have going on. Either the distribution, the relevancy of the trash, or perhaps the abundance of HP questions.
Last edited by Bigfoot isn't the pr on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Or, why do they pass up more reasonable trash questions in order to ask about guitar hero, jeeps, alyssa's lies, and all the other crap that came up when they could ask about, like, the beatles or something else important even within the trash distribution.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Of all the common critiques of NAQT, which do you think is least justified? Which do you think is most justified?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source

Why does NAQT still keep timed games reminiscent of CBI when not only does it detract from the validity of the games (by messing with the distribution that teams get to hear since the tossups you get to are random) but it also seems to deter potential sectional hosts since they have to provide all the timers?

What does NAQT plan to do to bring more college teams back into attendance at Sectionals since attendance has been so low?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Sasquatch wrote:Perhaps a question regarding all the TRASH discussion we have going on. Either the distribution, the relevancy of the TRASH, or perhaps the abundance of HP questions.
I don't mean to be a dick, but you want to say trash, not TRASH. TRASH is a company and NAQT contains no TRASH questions; trash is a type of question and NAQT contains many trash questions. I just see you incessantly making that mistake.

Later,
MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

ImmaculateDeception wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:Perhaps a question regarding all the TRASH discussion we have going on. Either the distribution, the relevancy of the TRASH, or perhaps the abundance of HP questions.
I don't mean to be a dick, but you want to say trash, not TRASH. TRASH is a company and NAQT contains no TRASH questions; trash is a type of question and NAQT contains many trash questions. I just see you incessantly making that mistake.

Later,
MaS
Ah, yes. My bad. I am used to typing TRASH compared to trash. It shall be edited
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'

Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Weiner's Spelling Paradox
Woooooow

Now I just feel bad. Or perhaps, more like a tool to my subconscious.
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
rhentzel
Rikku

No need to wait for a survey

Post by rhentzel »

There are some interesting questions being posted here that I look forward to answering when I get Fred's list of questions.

I just wanted to point out, however, that there's no need to wait for a formal survey to get information out of NAQT about its goals, decisions, or ideals. I would hope that anybody on this board would feel comfortable e-mailing us directly at [email protected] (or me directly at [email protected]) for answers about anything relating to quiz bowl

We get a lot of e-mail, but we'll do our best to answer inquiries as promptly and as completely as we can.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

If you're willing to receive the coming backlash from everyone who doesn't like it, tell us your distribution.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Howard wrote:If you're willing to receive the coming backlash from everyone who doesn't like it, tell us your distribution.
Hey, I'm not sure what they use for their IS sets or anything, but what they used for ICT this year is here.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Should've been clearer. I meant the IS sets.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I would ask where he sees the college game in, say, 5 years, why, and what he's doing to take it there.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

To build off the last question, how about "where do you see the high school game in 5 years?"
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

When will this interview be published? Oh wait, that's for Fred. :cool:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

When it's done. :cool:
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Returning to topic, how does NAQT plan to deal with the future expansion of its national tournament?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

I suppose this is the same as the "trash" discussion already mentioned, but "What are Mr. Hentzel's views on pop culture and its role/emphasis in high school quizbowl?"
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Speaking of the Trash question, what will happen as a result of the HSNCT Trash surveys?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

so any news on when the interview will be out?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Unfortunately, not for a bit. He's going to be out of town for awhile, and then we'll do follow up questions and I then will have to format the interview and so forth. So, I don't really have an ETA for this.

I am going to start working on a second interview this week, though.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

leftsaidfred wrote: I am going to start working on a second interview this week, though.
I recommend Dr. Chuck. Then you have the whole PACE-NAQT thing going. :smile:

Just please don't interview Chip.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007