DC/Metro Area 2007-08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

Anyone have any different or new opinions upon coming back from ACE camp? We can't really learn anything about the schools who didn't go to MSM and are predicted to be good (TJ, Whitman, etc.), but I did see some proof for certain things next season, such as Daichi handily leading WJ, RM being led by a team consisting of the solid ACE campers Keith and Stephen Hurley (haven't seen Jeff or Julie play since last year), GDS not being as high as expected (after the graduation of Chris Rodgers, Dan Leifer, et al.), but there is definitely room to improve with Alex "Nutty" Nutman and Ian, who I'm sure by the end of the season can constitute a good team. Oh yeah and Gonzaga's awesome.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:Oh yeah and Gonzaga's awesome.
I'm holding my breath for the tournament you show up at drunk.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

charlieDfromNKC wrote:
THE tournament??? mwahaha

oh yeah and earlier I failed to mention Gov's team next year. Before MSM i had no clue what to expect and hence expected the worst, but coming out of it I see that Gov has put together a team that should be fairly good next year with Quint and Cameron on science and Sarah? on Lit and arts and stuff.
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:
That didn't already happen.(wink wink)
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Camp didn't give me much new insight. People were about as good as I thought they were.
Except I would say Dan has improved a lot since the last time I played him. If his beating Dallas to win a nightly tournament was not a fluke, Gonzaga would be a national contender. I'll also say RM would have a tough season if Stephen and Keith retain their negging ability that they showed at camp.
I don't think Quint&friends will make good leading players yet, only being sophomores. It's mostly up to Palmer/Andrew to make a good year for Gov this year.

Also, I won about 75% of all buzzer races I was in. WJ will sweep all speed tournaments this year, thank you.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Coming soon to DACQ sets: computation questions about priming the buzzer.

I stand by my prediction earlier (which was questioned then) that Gonzaga can compete for the top spot. Dan is seriously committed to the team and, despite the fact that he sounds like a meandering idiot with a punctuation phobia on this forum, is capable of leading a team by himself. But it's worth pointing out that he isn't by himself; even if Leahy is strangely buzzer-challenged, he has lots of knowledge and should at least counteract the bonus conversion problems one-man teams can sometimes run into. Zaga also had a guy who scored 10s on just about every quiz and a few other people who came to camp, so it looks like the years of deadweight 3 and 4 positions on the team might be ending. Maybe.

RM should be good; Hurley, Keith, and Jeff have more potential than any other team in the country even with just the three of them, and I look forward to the coming year to see what they decide to do with it.

TJ and Dorman I haven't seen personally but numbers suggest some intimidating squads - I'll hold off further comment until I get a look at them.

WJ is certainly capable of knocking of any of the top teams, but its hard to one-man it like that as a rising junior with almost no support. I am continually impressed by Diachi's willingness to improve though, so don't be surprised if his dedication starts rubbing off on a teammate or two.

I am a huge fan of Gov's younger squad. Showing up at a writer's workshop after your freshman year is hardcore enough even for the top of the high school game. Also, Quint makes me laugh. I predict they'll finish around the level the 2005 Gov squad (made up of all non-seniors) finished - slow start, but top 10ish finish. Look out for these guys in a few years. Look out for Quint if he's nearby, in general.

Wilmington Charter will be tough, assuming there's a supporting cast for Henry. It's a well-run program and I can't imagine Bill will be taking anything less than a top-level team to nationals come May.

That's all for now, except to say everyone should come to the Weekend of Quizbowl, because it will be amazing.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE

Like, I will effing pay the travel fees to convince any of those teams up there to come to something in Missouri's "official range."
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

I'll also say RM would have a tough season if Stephen and Keith retain their negging ability that they showed at camp.
Daichi, I'm not saying I don't have my share of negs, but a) everyone but you negs more in a format where negs don't count and questions are based on speed, because such a format virtually encourages guessing, and b) I still beat you in every game we played except the Lit Finals, where I nonetheless placed 3rd. So, yeah, there were negs, and I'm certainly not saying Hurley doesn't neg like a drunken noob, but I don't think you should write RM off because I guessed on speed questions.

I didn't really see anything interesting happen to the DC region at ACE Camp except proof that Daichi is better than he used to be and, if he gets any sort of a team backing him up, WJ will be a regional player next year. I didn't really notice anything else.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

aestheteboy wrote:Also, I won about 75% of all buzzer races I was in. WJ will sweep all speed tournaments this year, thank you.
Well in that case, you guys should definitely register for our tournament on September 15!
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Diet Chuck
Lulu

Post by Diet Chuck »

I predict that TJ will come in last at all tournaments because we have no sponsor.
Mohit Iyyer
TJ 2008, WUSTL 2012
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

In this region TJ, Whitman, Gonzaga, RM and WJ should all be pretty good.

Gov's freshman class last year was possibly the best ever with Quint, Sarah, and especially Greg. All of them are not only talented but show the dedication it takes to get better so look out for them in the next couple of years.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Also, I won about 75% of all buzzer races I was in. WJ will sweep all speed tournaments this year, thank you.
I'm going to continue my "be mean to Daichi train" and point out that 75% of all buzzer races he was in constitutes maybe 10 to 15. Which is not unimpressive, but we were running a lot of questions (60? 80? 100? something like that, all speeds), so keep it in your pants, buddy.
Gov's freshman class last year was possibly the best ever with Quint, Sarah, and especially Greg. All of them are not only talented but show the dedication it takes to get better so look out for them in the next couple of years.
I have no idea who Greg is, but I did see Sarah at ACE Camp and she is very good. If she's only a sophomore, and Gov improves this year, they could be beastly next year. I definitely think that they're going to be less visible this year as they build up the talent, though.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

I have no idea who Greg is, but I did see Sarah at ACE Camp and she is very good. If she's only a sophomore, and Gov improves this year, they could be beastly next year. I definitely think that they're going to be less visible this year as they build up the talent, though.
After bumping Greg up to the B team, he was the second place overall individual scorer at VCU's PACE style tournament. He will likely be on the A team next year.
I definitely think that they're going to be less visible this year as they build up the talent, though.
I agree with this.[/quote]
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

segregold wrote:b) I still beat you in every game we played except the Lit Finals, where I nonetheless placed 3rd.
Yeah, that's simply not true. Besides, it's irrelevant to what I was saying.
I'm more talking about your negging at the practices we did on our own, which were definitely pyramidal. Your tossup to neg ratio was closer to 1:1 than 2:1.
segregold wrote:75% of all buzzer races he was in constitutes maybe 10 to 15. Which is not unimpressive, but we were running a lot of questions (60? 80? 100? something like that, all speeds), so keep it in your pants, buddy.
That's true though. I was just being facetious about sweeping all speed tournaments, which should have been obvious since I suck at quizbowl. What can I say? :roll:
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Did we figure out whose internet certain part of the male body is longer yet?
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

DumbJaques wrote:Coming soon to DACQ sets: computation questions about priming the buzzer.
I really have no choice, do I:

TOSSUP
Pencil and paper ready. During a warm-up match for Panasonic, Chris, practicing his buzzer priming, will accidentally buzz early on 25% of the questions in a 20-question round, though on 20% of those accidental buzzes, he will guess at random and get it correct. To determine the number of times Chris will answer incorrectly in this round because of buzzer priming, one should first determine how many times he will buzz, then eliminate those questions where he guesses correctly. FTP, how many times will Chris answer incorrectly on accidental buzzes. You will have 10 seconds.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Haha, I was going to make it about how far a buzzer can be primed or something like that (when I say "I," I'm assuming nobody actually thinks I mean "I"). Actually, maybe all our comp questions will be about priming the buzzer.
I still beat you in every game we played except the Lit Finals, where I nonetheless placed 3rd.
Yo, Keith, that's like massively not allowed, and it makes you look like a tool. While Daichi's idea that RM will "have a tough time" or whatever is laughable, please stop by the forum rules section. Also, McKenna loooooves it when you post inflammatory stuff on the forum!
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

DumbJaques wrote:Also, McKenna loooooves it when you post inflammatory stuff on the forum!
Voice of experience.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Yo, Keith, that's like massively not allowed, and it makes you look like a tool. While Daichi's idea that RM will "have a tough time" or whatever is laughable, please stop by the forum rules section. Also, McKenna loooooves it when you post inflammatory stuff on the forum!
Yeah, okay, I do sound like I'm from GDS. Sorry, everybody.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I love rankings. Anyone interested in ranking the regional area for next year? I'm thinking:

1. Whitman
2. TJ
3. RM
4. Gov
5. WJ

Or something like that. DC is really not having as much talent this year as it has in the past, it seems to me, I think other areas of the country will be doing better at 2008 Nationals than we've seen in the past.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I love rankings. Anyone interested in ranking the regional area for next year? I'm thinking:

1. Whitman
2. TJ
3. RM
4. Gov
5. WJ
Congratulations me, I am retarded. I completely forgot about Gonzaga, they're definitely better than Gov and WJ and possibly better than RM. Let's change those rankings to:

1. Whitman
2. TJ
3. RM
4. Gonzaga
5. Gov or WJ

Alright. Much better.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Last season I was saying how Whitman is underrated before they started winning stuff. Now, I think they are a little overrated, both here and at the preseason thread. Their win over Mark-less Gov and 5th place finish at NAQT was almost shocking to me, because they never beat us by a lot like Gov, SC, and RM always did.

My ranking of a slightly larger DC area would be:
1. TJ
2. RM
3/4. Whitman/W. Charter
5/6. Gonzaga/State College
7/8. TJB/WJ
9. Gov
DumbJaques wrote:While Daichi's idea that RM will "have a tough time" or whatever is laughable
I'm not saying RM sucks or anything. Any team is going to have a tough time if it negs a lot, which was all I said. Like Hurley negging 4 times in a 15 tu match against my team, that's going to hurt regardless of whether or not you have phenomenal players like Keith and Jeff (edit: and feldman!!) on your team.
Last edited by aestheteboy on Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Last season I was saying how Whitman is underrated before they started winning stuff. Now, I think they are a little overrated, both here and at the preseason thread. Their win over Mark-less Gov and 5th place finish at NAQT was almost shocking to me, because they never beat us by a lot like Gov, SC, and RM always did.
I honestly think that they're being a little overrated as well (I too was surprised at their placing 5th), but I was taken to task the last time I mentioned that. As I said, RM has never lost to Whitman in the 2 years I've been keeping track, even during my freshman year when they had what I heard was their best team in years (certainly their most hilarious thanks to Kincaid). Whitman is returning a complete lineup, one that was far from bad last year, and by virtue of their experience they should do very well in the beginning of the year. As for the rest of the year:

The reason I ranked Whitman above TJ was because TJ tends to be criminally disorganized and has lost a lot of experienced players, both of which are increasingly true of RM. If RM and TJ improve over the course of the year, then we'll probably do better at Nationals than Whitman, but only time will tell.
5/6. Gonzaga/State College
I also forgot about State College. There are too many good teams to keep track of. I don't know how State College is going to do this year, I haven't seen their new players and I don't know which ones they're losing, but historically they're a very good team so big wins would not be surprising.
Like Hurley negging 4 times in a 15 tu match against my team, that's going to hurt regardless of whether or not you have phenomenal players like Keith and Jeff on your team.
Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood you about the negging thing- residual touchiness from the "rm iz gunna suk now dat chris ray iz not on de team" crap that we got a lot at the beginning of last year, I apologize. Hurley negs a ridiculous amount (at Nationals, as I recall, he negged as much as he powered, which was as I recall around 20 times for the entire tournament), and that is definitely a serious problem given that he is currently the only player on our B Team who is even remotely ready to move up to A Team. I maintain that I do not neg that much, at least in real games, but even if I put in only 1 or 2 negs in a given game, combine that with Hurley's range of 4-5 negs and it can be bear ugly. My personal hope is that our B Teamers Julie Chang and Abiola Laniyonu will become good enough over the course of the year to be able to move up to A Team, but at the moment neither one is ready. Hopefully we'll have a decent A Team by TJIAT in October.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Oh man, Andrew Kincaid. What a guy. I miss him.

And TJ graduated only two seniors this year. 08-09 year will be pretty rough, with 8 or 9 members of the class of '08 departing, but for now they should be one of the best teams we've ever had. If they get their act together. Hint hint guys.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

If they get their act together. Hint hint guys.
Yeah, you all should try getting a coach. It really helps.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Unless it's a priest who likes a whiskey and coke while watching SNL and who orders margaritas at Applebee's.
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:Unless it's a priest who likes a whiskey and coke while watching SNL and who orders margaritas at Applebee's.
Hey, Mrs. Kreloff wasn't a priest....
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

laszlow wrote:
gonzagaeagleahy wrote:Unless it's a priest who likes a whiskey and coke while watching SNL and who orders margaritas at Applebee's.
I believe Leahy is referring to Father Meehan.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

BuzzerZen wrote:
laszlow wrote:
I believe Leahy is referring to Father Meehan.
Yeah, that I was...
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

As I said, RM has never lost to Whitman in pyramidals in the 2 years I've been keeping track
How I miss the class of 2006. But yeah, here's what I think for the region:
1. TJ
2. Whitman
3. RM
4. Gonzaga
5. WJ
The top three are pretty much on the same level. Additionally, not having played Gov's B-team last year, I don't have a very good idea of where they are, but they could very well be up there.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

1. TJ
2. Whitman
3. RM
4. Gonzaga
5. WJ

The top three are pretty much on the same level. Additionally, not having played Gov's B-team last year, I don't have a very good idea of where they are, but they could very well be up there.
I agree with all of this. I think Gonzaga could approach the level of Whitman/RM/TJ if they practice hard, and maybe even WJ if Daichi whips 'em into shape. As for my team, all we need is enthusiasm. Which I hope is some sort of drug so that I can buy it and not have to make it myself.

Keith, I have a sweet hook up for you. Go down in front of the Washington Monument and ask for "Bubba." He's an old school friend, tell him you know "Cool Whip." Very reasonably priced.

Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I've been gone for the last twelve days on Waldron Island where there is no electricity, so I haven't read this thread until now.

Basically I think its the same old story for Gonzaga. We will finish in the top ten, but suffer from the same achilles' heel of lack of science knowledge and being a two man team (this year it is Puma and Leahy, last year it was Puma and me, the year before it was Mike Kettler and me).

The guy that Chris was talking about, who scored 10s on all the quizes plays two sports and only gets history questions, so I dont think he will contribute that much.

If Kevin can become less passive on the buzzer and Dan can become a big game player then Gonzaga has a chance to pull itself into the Top Five. But this past year in our wins and close games against State College, Gov, TJ, Dorman, and Stuyvesant I got 75% of out toss-ups, so our success this year is really contigent on Dan's ability to put up 7 or 8 tossups in the big game and Kevin's ability to get lit questions wehn hes playing against top competition.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Magister Ludi wrote:the year before it was Mike Kettler and me
I think you mean Mike Simms but that doesn't really matter anyway.
But yeah I agree with Ted in most parts. He knows his stuff, that art cogniscenti him. I think my problem, though, ted, will be being too agressive. Since you've been gone I've been extremely more agressive but for the worst. I almost neg as much as you did last year.

haha jk
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

gonzagaeagleahy wrote:
But yeah I agree with Ted in most parts. He knows his stuff, that art cogniscenti him. I think my problem, though, ted, will be being too agressive. Since you've been gone I've been extremely more agressive but for the worst. I almost neg as much as you did last year.

haha jk
If your negging rate actually had grown that much in the 2 weeks since Ace, you would probably reach Charles Dees levels by your first tournament of the year.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

SwissBoy wrote:
gonzagaeagleahy wrote:

haha jk
If your negging rate actually had grown that much in the 2 weeks since Ace, you would probably reach Charles Dees levels by your first tournament of the year.
Haha exactly. That's why I have to sedate myself. But then again the first tournament we're going to is speed so iuno.
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12

SwissBoy wrote:If your negging rate actually had grown that much in the 2 weeks since Ace, you would probably reach Charles Dees levels by your first tournament of the year.
I enjoy negging and every time I've ever done it was on purpose because I find it hilarious
Story of my life.

Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

I wouldn't completely discount Blake; I see several of my team members with a fierce drive and determination to get ahead, and I can see them becoming quite good before the end of the season. We'll probably start off weakly; Guess we'll see at the PB tournament.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Isaacbh wrote:I wouldn't completely discount Blake; I see several of my team members with a fierce drive and determination to get ahead, and I can see them becoming quite good before the end of the season. We'll probably start off weakly; Guess we'll see at the PB tournament.
Are you guys planning on coming to the University of Maryland's tournament on the 30th?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Yes, although it remains to be seen if we can get enough players who can confirm they're coming. By all indications, though, it appears we are.
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
Diet Chuck
Lulu

Post by Diet Chuck »

yo blake kid

are those three girls still on the team or did they graduate? i remember getting rolled by them a couple of times.

on a side note yo charles dees i was going to make fun of you for getting banned but then i went on vacation. but i swear i was laughing.
Mohit Iyyer
TJ 2008, WUSTL 2012
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Blake is indeed traditionally good, especially at speed questions. I don't really know about this year though. They were essentially two-women team, and they both graduated. I think the bigger problem is that you guys don't really go to a lot of stuff. It was more than once that Mr. Caulfield went to a tournament but not the team . . . lol
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

aestheteboy wrote:Blake is indeed traditionally good, especially at speed questions. I don't really know about this year though. They were essentially two-women team, and they both graduated. I think the bigger problem is that you guys don't really go to a lot of stuff. It was more than once that Mr. Caulfield went to a tournament but not the team . . . lol
We've always had a problem with fielding enough people to come to tourneys. Our coach is very dedicated, and it frustrates him when we're not. We're going to have a problem with coming to Tournaments this year, but if all goes well, we'll come to plenty. Whether or not we're any good remains to be seen.

As said before, the two exceptional players graduated. Last year, I was just coming along for the ride. This year... I have to be good. Kinda a jump for me. >_>
Isaac Hirsch
Never Gonna Play Again
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Isaacbh wrote:As said before, the two exceptional players graduated. Last year, I was just coming along for the ride. This year... I have to be good. Kinda a jump for me. >_>
Especially for a young team at an early-season tournament, I thought you guys looked good. Naturally, considering the coaching job there, I'm not surprised.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

Not sure if this would be an appropriate place for discussion, although many of the state qualifiers are Metro Area teams, but any there predictions for VHSL regular season competition this year? I imagine TJ and Maggie Walker will be the top 2 in AAA, but predictions other than this? I was wondering, especially, since some districts begin competition within the next couple weeks.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

pretzeldude92 wrote:Not sure if this would be an appropriate place for discussion, although many of the state qualifiers are Metro Area teams, but any there predictions for VHSL regular season competition this year? I imagine TJ and Maggie Walker will be the top 2 in AAA, but predictions other than this? I was wondering, especially, since some districts begin competition within the next couple weeks.
Actually we had a couple begin Monday. I suppose I should be archiving results somewhere ...

Remember, don't talk about the questions for the same reasons you can't talk about NAQT.

Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

If no one minds, I would like to revive this thread to take TJ and UVa, where almost all of the above powers played each other, into account. From my attendance at these two tournaments, it looks like RM A, Whitman, Gonzaga, TJ A and WJ all easily have the ability to take the region, and maybe even MW A if they step up their game soon.
I would also like to thank my fellow campers' belief in my fellow sophomores, but would like to clarify that Greg T is in fact the best of the four of us and the only A team member.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Tower Monarch wrote: From my attendance at these two tournaments, it looks like RM A, Whitman, Gonzaga, TJ A and WJ all easily have the ability to take the region, and maybe even MW A if they step up their game soon.
Well, MW A seemed to be off their game yesterday. They were in three close games early, losing two of them to give us a 10 seed going into the playoffs. That put us against a hot Robinson team that had us down 180 to -10 after five questions. We played reasonably well down the stretch but could not fight our way out of that hole. We certainly performed better at TJ's tournament. Yes, this team can get better, but we have some knowledge gaps to fill.

As for the final four at UVA, they were clearly the standouts. After our early exit, I stayed around to see Gonzaga vs. Whitman and then the finals with Whitman vs. TJ A. I did not witness TJ A's 400 point win over RM A, but my jaw dropped when I heard the score, because I have seen first-hand how strong RM A is. Whitman certainly redeemed themselves from their surprisingly early exit at TJ's tournament a fortnight ago. The TJ A v. Whitman final was entertaining to watch. TJ led most of the way, but Whitman hung around with a little surge at the end to edge out TJ on the final question.

In the semifinal game I watched Whitman dispatch a stubborn Gonzaga team who was apparently missing one its star players.

So these are probably the top four teams in the region right now. If you throw in Walter Johnson, Robinson and maybe a couple of others, the region is really strong and highly competitive. Dorman will have its work cut out for itself to go through these teams at nationals. If you are willing to extend the region a little to pick up Wilmington Charter, then you might easily be seeing half of the nation's top ten.
Last edited by jbarnes112358 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Whitman is good. I am filled with awe and admiration for them (especially because it's a non-magnet school). RM A and Gonzaga are, of course, also excellent teams but I didn't find them terrorizing the way Whitman and TJA were. I was surprised to see GDS perform so strongly at LIFT, also with a very strong field. Ian seems to have improved a lot since the last time I played him at ACE. If you look just at the stats, I don't see why WJ would deserve mention, but I guess we can do better.

BTW, are there any tournaments in this area in November? I get anxious if I don't play quizbowl for more than 4 weeks. I know Harvard is on Nov. 10th, but Whipple probably would not take us.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

I believe the appropriate diagnosis here is QDAD - Quizbowl Deficiency Anxiety Disorder.

QDAD is a condition characterized by the following symptoms:
- extreme anxiety whenever your non-quizbowl team classmates don't know the answer to a question your teacher asks, but you know it because it's been mentioned in a NAQT packet 10 times
- repeated interjections of "Buzz" or "Power" in conversational speech
- an unnatural obsession with the phrases "GG" or "FTW"
- depression, boredom, and irritation on Saturdays when there are no quizbowl tournaments
- involuntary buzz-in movements with your thumbs, especially while sleeping

The only known treatments for QDAD are PACEil (like Paxil, but with 100% more Dr. Chuck) and more NAQT qualifying tournaments in the DC metro area before the late spring rush. I will confess that I suffer from QDAD.

EDIT: I apologize for this post. I'm trying my hardest to avoid homework.
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13